From: ···············@hotmail.com
Subject: the GUI question
Hello,

I'm looking at a project that will require a GUI and I'd like to use
CL, especially the newly-1.0 SBCL.  I'm interested in wxCL in part
because it is cross-platform and the interface looks native on Windows.
 But that I can see there has been no traffic on the project mailing
list in some time so I wonder if this is a working project.  The same
seems to me to hold for the other projects that I found by googling
things like "GUI common lisp" (I think I've done a good search,
including of this group).

Could some kind person enlighten me whether there are working and
up-to-date ways to build interfaces in CL?   This would be my first
non-toy CL project so something that doesn't require too-advanced CL
knowledge would be ideal but any information would be appreciated.

From: Rob Thorpe
Subject: Re: the GUI question
···············@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking at a project that will require a GUI and I'd like to use
> CL, especially the newly-1.0 SBCL.  I'm interested in wxCL in part
> because it is cross-platform and the interface looks native on Windows.
>  But that I can see there has been no traffic on the project mailing
> list in some time so I wonder if this is a working project.  The same
> seems to me to hold for the other projects that I found by googling
> things like "GUI common lisp" (I think I've done a good search,
> including of this group).
>
> Could some kind person enlighten me whether there are working and
> up-to-date ways to build interfaces in CL?   This would be my first
> non-toy CL project so something that doesn't require too-advanced CL
> knowledge would be ideal but any information would be appreciated.

Other possibilities are LTK and the various libraries that use GTK,
such as CellsGTK.
I haven't done real comparisons of these though.
From: rays
Hi,
  If you are looking for an active project, then cells-gtk is there. It
runs on both windows and linux and uses the gtk library.

su
From: rays
From: Pillsy
Since the question's up...

...what would people recommend for use on OS X? GTk (or anything else
that depends on X11) isn't a super-appealing choice, and Lispworks
lamentably lacks a personal edition that runs on x86 Macs.

Cheers,
Pillsy
From: Bill Atkins
"Pillsy" <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> Since the question's up...
>
> ...what would people recommend for use on OS X? GTk (or anything else
> that depends on X11) isn't a super-appealing choice, and Lispworks
> lamentably lacks a personal edition that runs on x86 Macs.
>
> Cheers,
> Pillsy

OpenMCL has Cocoa bindings, although I've never personally used them.
I think Ltk can run without X11 on OS X as well.  You might be able to
get an evaluation version of LispWorks Pro for x86 Mac if you talk to
them.
From: Ken Tilton
Pillsy wrote:
> Since the question's up...
>
> ...what would people recommend for use on OS X? GTk (or anything else
> that depends on X11) isn't a super-appealing choice, and Lispworks
> lamentably lacks a personal edition that runs on x86 Macs.

GTk 2.0 still not ported to OS X? What's up with that?

Anyway, that is why some told me to use Tk, and I am glad they did. Nice
getting entire portable language (Tcl) with more than GUI at the same
time. To get to Tk:

- LTk might be your best-supported bet, but it lacks Cells and FFI.

- Celtk and its derivative Cello are more powerful because they have
Cells and talk to Tk via FFI, but I am pretty busy: I'll help you
build/install get started, but cannot work on extending the libs just
now. Celtk is pretty complete, tho, in its coverage of Tk.

ken

--
Algebra: http://www.tilton-technology.com/LispNycAlgebra1.htm

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for thirty-five
years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally
won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd

From: Pillsy
Ken Tilton wrote:
[...]
> GTk 2.0 still not ported to OS X? What's up with that?

Looks like it's in progress, but in a not-for-the-fainthearted kind of
experimental state. Since my GUI programming experience is close to
nil, I'm feeling pretty faint-hearted. :)

> Anyway, that is why some told me to use Tk, and I am glad they did. Nice
> getting entire portable language (Tcl) with more than GUI at the same
> time. To get to Tk:

> - LTk might be your best-supported bet, but it lacks Cells and FFI.

Best-supported sounds good. I've installed it, and am now ready to dip
a toe into the tutorial.

> - Celtk and its derivative Cello are more powerful because they have
> Cells and talk to Tk via FFI, but I am pretty busy: I'll help you
> build/install get started, but cannot work on extending the libs just
> now. Celtk is pretty complete, tho, in its coverage of Tk.

In the off-chance that I'll be feeling more reckless in the near
future, what do I need to do beyond installing Cells?'

Thanks,
Pillsy
From: Ken Tilton
Pillsy wrote:
> Ken Tilton wrote:
> [...]
>
>>GTk 2.0 still not ported to OS X? What's up with that?
>

> Looks like it's in progress, but in a not-for-the-fainthearted kind of
> experimental state. Since my GUI programming experience is close to
> nil, I'm feeling pretty faint-hearted. :)
>

>>Anyway, that is why some told me to use Tk, and I am glad they did. Nice
>>getting entire portable language (Tcl) with more than GUI at the same
>>time. To get to Tk:
>

>>- LTk might be your best-supported bet, but it lacks Cells and FFI.
>

> Best-supported sounds good. I've installed it, and am now ready to dip
> a toe into the tutorial.
>

>>- Celtk and its derivative Cello are more powerful because they have
>>Cells and talk to Tk via FFI, but I am pretty busy: I'll help you
>>build/install get started, but cannot work on extending the libs just
>>now. Celtk is pretty complete, tho, in its coverage of Tk.
>

> In the off-chance that I'll be feeling more reckless in the near
> future, what do I need to do beyond installing Cells?'

Install the latest Tcl/Tk. Tk Togl and cl-opengl to run the OpenGL gears
demo.

Celtk for now is just a subdirectory of Cells and comes along when you
grab Cells.

Bad news: I /do/ put it in the not for faint-hearted category
Good news: I heard recently from someone who got it running without even
contacting me.

kt

From: Terry Sullivan
Pillsy wrote:
> Ken Tilton wrote:
> [...]
>> GTk 2.0 still not ported to OS X? What's up with that?
>
> Looks like it's in progress, but in a not-for-the-fainthearted kind of
> experimental state. Since my GUI programming experience is close to
> nil, I'm feeling pretty faint-hearted. :)

Things seem to have progressed quite a bit since the last time I looked
for a GTK 2.x port on MacOS-X:

http://developer.imendio.com/taxonomy/term/5

- http://developer.imendio.com/files/developer/Porting-Gtk-MacOSX.pdf
-
- During 2005-2006 Anders Carlsson ported Gtk+ to Mac OS X with
- Imendio as industrial sponsor for his thesis project at Chalmers
- University of Technology. This report describes the work done
- during this project.

See also: http://micke.hallendal.net/archives/2005/10/gtk-macosx.html
And http://developer.imendio.com/projects/gtk-macosx

Last time I looked, there was only an attempt to port GTK 1.x. Things
are looking up for GTK on MacOS-X without X-11.

Ts
From: Sidney Markowitz
Ken Tilton wrote, On 12/12/06 7:04 AM:
> GTk 2.0 still not ported to OS X? What's up with that?

FYI, the Lisp GUI story on Mac OS X is still not very happy, especially
on the Intel Macs. I got LTk to install, but haven't done much with it.
I haven't yet tried Celtk or Cello, but the OpenGL part would be a
problem as described in

 http://www.esden.net/blog/2006/09/18/installing-cl-opengl-on-mac-os-x/

I really don't want to bother with an X-Windows only solution. I'm
hoping that by the time I have a real reason to make something work
there will be some Aqua GUI I can use.

--
    Sidney Markowitz
    http://www.sidney.com
From: Ken Tilton
Sidney Markowitz wrote:
> Ken Tilton wrote, On 12/12/06 7:04 AM:
>
>>GTk 2.0 still not ported to OS X? What's up with that?
>

> FYI, the Lisp GUI story on Mac OS X is still not very happy, especially
> on the Intel Macs. I got LTk to install, but haven't done much with it.
> I haven't yet tried Celtk or Cello, but the OpenGL part would be a
> problem as described in
>
>  http://www.esden.net/blog/2006/09/18/installing-cl-opengl-on-mac-os-x/

You are confused, and I am about to confuse you more. :)

(a) I think that is just the usual "free" PWUAUAAGAGAGAGGHAHHAHAHAHA
software bullsh*t, and a couple hours elbow grease would soon get things
sorted out. More importantly...

(b) No "the OpenGL part" would not be a problem, even according to that
story. OpenGL was fine. So was the cl-opengl binding set. So was CFFI.
The problem was in using ****Glut. Both my libraries use the Togl widget
of Tcl/Tk. So the stacks to choose from are:

CL+Celtk(Cells+Tcl+Tk+Togl+cl-opengl+cffi)+<your code here>
CL+Cello(Cells+Tcl+Tk+Togl+kt-opengl+cffi+GraphicsMagick+FTGL+OpenAL+Snack)+...sorry,
no room for your code. :)

No glut involved. No problem. I have not posted it anywhere, but I have
an SBCL+Cello+OS X screenshot of my Algebra app somewhere.

ken

From: Ken Tilton
Ken Tilton wrote:

> Sidney Markowitz wrote:
>
>> Ken Tilton wrote, On 12/12/06 7:04 AM:
>>
>>> GTk 2.0 still not ported to OS X? What's up with that?
>>

>> FYI, the Lisp GUI story on Mac OS X is still not very happy, especially
>> on the Intel Macs. I got LTk to install, but haven't done much with it.
>> I haven't yet tried Celtk or Cello, but the OpenGL part would be a
>> problem as described in
>>
>>  http://www.esden.net/blog/2006/09/18/installing-cl-opengl-on-mac-os-x/
>>

> You are confused, and I am about to confuse you more. :)
>
> (a) I think that is just the usual "free" PWUAUAAGAGAGAGGHAHHAHAHAHA
> software bullsh*t, and a couple hours elbow grease would soon get things
> sorted out. More importantly...
>
> (b) No "the OpenGL part" would not be a problem, even according to that
> story. OpenGL was fine. So was the cl-opengl binding set. So was CFFI.
> The problem was in using ****Glut. Both my libraries use the Togl widget
> of Tcl/Tk. So the stacks to choose from are:
>
> CL+Celtk(Cells+Tcl+Tk+Togl+cl-opengl+cffi)+<your code here>

I didn't /really/ mean to confuse anyone. Yes, Celtk3d uses the
cl-opengl bindings to OpenGL. No, it does not use ***Glut (where the
problems were encountered on OSX).

ken

From: Sidney Markowitz
Ken Tilton wrote, On 12/12/06 1:48 PM:
> You are confused, and I am about to confuse you more. :)

I think total confusion has been reduced. I updated and rebuilt sbcl
from CVS, installed Tcl/Tk 8.4.14 and Togl from source and got cells,
Celtk, and Cello from CVS along with your versions of cl-opengl, etc. I
think I'm farther along than I was, but there were still errors during
the loading that I'll have to look at.

One that stood out was the references to the Mathx package in
Celtk/run.lisp since Mathx is not defined anywhere.

Another is that the directories under cello/cello/ are repeated with
older dates on the files under cello/ which confused things when I set
up the symbolic links to the *.asd files.

Finally, sbcl is choking on the 0xa9 characters you use instead of (c)
in the copyright statements in some of the files.

Once I get Cello to load or give up for a while, where should I post the
diffs of what I had to change?

--
    Sidney Markowitz
    http://www.sidney.com
From: Ken Tilton
Sidney Markowitz wrote:
> Ken Tilton wrote, On 12/12/06 1:48 PM:
>
>>You are confused, and I am about to confuse you more. :)
>

> I think total confusion has been reduced. I updated and rebuilt sbcl
> from CVS, installed Tcl/Tk 8.4.14 and Togl from source and got cells,
> Celtk, and Cello from CVS along with your versions of cl-opengl, etc.

Brave man. A middle ground (if Cello weras you out and you just want
OpenGL) is Celtk3D, which uses cl-opengl for GL and GLU but nothing GLUT.

[I rechristened "my cl-opengl" kt-opengl after the yobbos stole
"cl-opengl". <g>]

Cello is leaving most of the Tk widgets behind, keeping menus and
windows. The idea of Cello is all-opengl-all-the-time, even for buttons.
But the widget set has only those things I have needed so far, which
ain't much.

Celtk3d would let you build a standard Tk GUI and throw in an OpenGL
pane using the Togl widget.

Cello has all sorts of cool libs like cl-openal and cl-magick and
cl-ftgl, but they use the kt-opengl bindings (well, not cl-openal). What
I am leading up to is that Celtk3d could with some effort pick up the
neat libs of Cello.

> think I'm farther along than I was, but there were still errors during
> the loading that I'll have to look at.
>
> One that stood out was the references to the Mathx package in
> Celtk/run.lisp since Mathx is not defined anywhere.

Ooops. :) I could clean those up.

> Another is that the directories under cello/cello/ are repeated with
> older dates on the files under cello/ which confused things when I set
> up the symbolic links to the *.asd files.

Yeah, I wish the Open Source Fairy had cleaned those up before leaving
the building. :)

> Finally, sbcl is choking on the 0xa9 characters you use instead of (c)
> in the copyright statements in some of the files.

Oh, I thought I got those. Lemme see where those are.

> Once I get Cello to load or give up for a while, where should I post the
> diffs of what I had to change?

This email address I am using. I am weak on diffs. I need them to get a
rough idea of where to look for changes, but I need a full archive to
use with the merge program I use, BeyondCompare. My zip program handles
tarballs OK most of the time.

ken

From: Sidney Markowitz
Ken Tilton wrote, On 13/12/06 3:18 AM:
> Brave man. A middle ground (if Cello weras you out and you just want
> OpenGL) is Celtk3D, which uses cl-opengl for GL and GLU but nothing GLUT.

I don't see Celtk3D in the CVS, and Google finds two mentions of it but
no place to get it.

--
    Sidney Markowitz
    http://www.sidney.com
From: Ken Tilton
Sidney Markowitz wrote:
> Ken Tilton wrote, On 13/12/06 3:18 AM:
>
>>Brave man. A middle ground (if Cello weras you out and you just want
>>OpenGL) is Celtk3D, which uses cl-opengl for GL and GLU but nothing GLUT.
>

> I don't see Celtk3D in the CVS, and Google finds two mentions of it but
> no place to get it.

Ah, I never added that to CVS. let me fire it up along with the gears
demo, make sure everything works, then commit it all. RSN (few hrs).

kt

From: Ken Tilton
Ken Tilton wrote:

> Sidney Markowitz wrote:
>
>> Ken Tilton wrote, On 13/12/06 3:18 AM:
>>
>>> Brave man. A middle ground (if Cello weras you out and you just want
>>> OpenGL) is Celtk3D, which uses cl-opengl for GL and GLU but nothing
>>> GLUT.
>>

>> I don't see Celtk3D in the CVS, and Google finds two mentions of it but
>> no place to get it.
>>

> Ah, I never added that to CVS. let me fire it up along with the gears
> demo, make sure everything works, then commit it all. RSN (few hrs).

OK, knock yourself out. The only guide to Celtk3d is a .LPR file of that
name, an ACL project manager file that indicates load order of required
sub-projects and source LISP files and the name of the test function I
use (in an init-fn field or something). Conversion to .ASD is
straightforward.

The gears demo is /just/ a Togl, no other widgets. The Celtk demos such
as lotsa-widgets show other Tk widgets in action.

kt

From: Sidney Markowitz
Sidney Markowitz wrote, On 12/12/06 11:53 PM:
> Finally, sbcl is choking on the 0xa9 characters you use instead of (c)
> in the copyright statements in some of the files.

My mistake. Those were just warnings and I read the stacktrace wrong
when I hit an actual error.
(setf sb-impl::*default-external-format* :latin-1) took care of the
warnings.

I saw you mention elsewhere, Ken, that you don't regularly load cello
using asdf. What I'm seeing right now is that not all the dependencies
are listed in all the asd files, so I have to load things in the right
order for now.

--
    Sidney Markowitz
    http://www.sidney.com
From: Ken Tilton
Sidney Markowitz wrote:
> Sidney Markowitz wrote, On 12/12/06 11:53 PM:
>
>>Finally, sbcl is choking on the 0xa9 characters you use instead of (c)
>>in the copyright statements in some of the files.
>

> My mistake. Those were just warnings...

OK. I think I can clean them up anyway. I love supporting SBCL!

> and I read the stacktrace wrong
> when I hit an actual error.
> (setf sb-impl::*default-external-format* :latin-1) took care of the
> warnings.
>
> I saw you mention elsewhere, Ken, that you don't regularly load cello
> using asdf.

No, I use the vastly superior ACL project manager.

> What I'm seeing right now is that not all the dependencies
> are listed in all the asd files, so I have to load things in the right
> order for now.

Can't someone hack ASDF to correct the mistake they made to support
mcClim? ASDF compiles everything needing compiling before loading
anything, unless an explicit dependency exists.

The right way is to go thru in order and compile if necessary and then
either way load the fasl before moving on to the next file. This way a
natural ordering of files from utility thru application achieves most of
the dependency declaration needed.

ken

From: John Thingstad
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 18:15:50 +0100, Pillsy <·········@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since the question's up...
>
> ...what would people recommend for use on OS X? GTk (or anything else
> that depends on X11) isn't a super-appealing choice, and Lispworks
> lamentably lacks a personal edition that runs on x86 Macs.
>
> Cheers,
> Pillsy

GTK runs on Windows also. So if your only reservation is portabillity
don't worry about it.

GTK+ Runtime Environment for Windows at:
http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/

From: Bill Atkins
···············@hotmail.com writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking at a project that will require a GUI and I'd like to use
> CL, especially the newly-1.0 SBCL.  I'm interested in wxCL in part
> because it is cross-platform and the interface looks native on Windows.
>  But that I can see there has been no traffic on the project mailing
> list in some time so I wonder if this is a working project.  The same
> seems to me to hold for the other projects that I found by googling
> things like "GUI common lisp" (I think I've done a good search,
> including of this group).
>
> Could some kind person enlighten me whether there are working and
> up-to-date ways to build interfaces in CL?   This would be my first
> non-toy CL project so something that doesn't require too-advanced CL
> knowledge would be ideal but any information would be appreciated.

CAPI is far and away the best Lisp GUI toolkit I've seen.  You can
download the LispWorks Personal Edition to try it out.  But you sound
like you're looking for Free software, so in that case you probably
want to check out Ltk and one of the Gtk bindings as well.

HTH,
Bill
From: Ken Tilton
···············@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking at a project that will require a GUI and I'd like to use
> CL, especially the newly-1.0 SBCL.  I'm interested in wxCL in part
> because it is cross-platform and the interface looks native on Windows.
>  But that I can see there has been no traffic on the project mailing
> list in some time so I wonder if this is a working project.  The same
> seems to me to hold for the other projects that I found by googling
> things like "GUI common lisp" (I think I've done a good search,
> including of this group).

Not if you did not go to c-l.net and look under the GUIs subsection.

:)

ken

From: Timofei Shatrov
On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 13:05:39 -0500, Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> tried to
confuse everyone with this message:

>···············@hotmail.com wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm looking at a project that will require a GUI and I'd like to use
>> CL, especially the newly-1.0 SBCL.  I'm interested in wxCL in part
>> because it is cross-platform and the interface looks native on Windows.
>>  But that I can see there has been no traffic on the project mailing
>> list in some time so I wonder if this is a working project.  The same
>> seems to me to hold for the other projects that I found by googling
>> things like "GUI common lisp" (I think I've done a good search,
>> including of this group).
>
>Not if you did not go to c-l.net and look under the GUIs subsection.

c-l.net? cl-user.net maybe?

--
|Don't believe this - you're not worthless              ,gr---------.ru
|It's us against millions and we can't take them all... |  ue     il   |
|But we can take them on!                               |     @ma      |
|                       (A Wilhelm Scream - The Rip)    |______________|
From: Pillsy
Timofei Shatrov wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 13:05:39 -0500, Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> tried to
> confuse everyone with this message:
[...]
> >Not if you did not go to c-l.net and look under the GUIs subsection.

> c-l.net? cl-user.net maybe?

common-lisp.net

On an only partially tangential note, whatever happened to the updated
cl-gardeners FAQ effort? It seems like there's a continual string of
FAQish topics coming through here.

Cheers,
Pillsy
From: Timofei Shatrov
On 11 Dec 2006 12:16:52 -0800, "Pillsy" <·········@gmail.com> tried to confuse
everyone with this message:

>Timofei Shatrov wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 13:05:39 -0500, Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> tried to
>> confuse everyone with this message:
>[...]
>> >Not if you did not go to c-l.net and look under the GUIs subsection.
>
>> c-l.net? cl-user.net maybe?
>
>common-lisp.net

It doesn't have the GUI subsection, does it? ;)

From: Ken Tilton
Timofei Shatrov wrote:
> On 11 Dec 2006 12:16:52 -0800, "Pillsy" <·········@gmail.com> tried to confuse
> everyone with this message:
>

>>Timofei Shatrov wrote:
>>

>>>On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 13:05:39 -0500, Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> tried to
>>>confuse everyone with this message:
>>
>>[...]
>>
>>>c-l.net? cl-user.net maybe?
>>
>>common-lisp.net
>>

> It doesn't have the GUI subsection, does it? ;)

They changed the site. Or hid the subgroupings (but I looked pretty hard).

ken

From: Larry Clapp
On 2006-12-11, Pillsy <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> On an only partially tangential note, whatever happened to the
> updated cl-gardeners FAQ effort? It seems like there's a continual
> string of FAQish topics coming through here.

Efforts continue when time allows.  :)

-- L
From: Pascal Bourguignon
···············@hotmail.com writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking at a project that will require a GUI and I'd like to use
> CL, especially the newly-1.0 SBCL.  I'm interested in wxCL in part
> because it is cross-platform and the interface looks native on Windows.
>  But that I can see there has been no traffic on the project mailing
> list in some time so I wonder if this is a working project.  The same
> seems to me to hold for the other projects that I found by googling
> things like "GUI common lisp" (I think I've done a good search,
> including of this group).

Well there are two problems with lisp.

1- lisp code works.  So once a library is developed, there's no much
   traffic, because there's no bug.

2- it looks like there are more libraries than developers, and
   developers can work only on one thing at a time.

> Could some kind person enlighten me whether there are working and
> up-to-date ways to build interfaces in CL?

It looks like you're in the best position to answer this question.
Fetch wxCL and try it, and come back telling us how it worked.
(If it doesn't work, you'll still be the best placed to make it work
and send patch!).

Perhaps lisp is only for people above 48th parallel...
(OT reference: ························@n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com)

CAUTION: The mass of this product contains the energy equivalent of
85 million tons of TNT per net ounce of weight.