From: Ken Tilton
Subject: Verrazano rising?
Rayiner Hashem has pronounced the license to be BSD and has turned over
c-l.net project admin to David. Now is the time for all good Lispniks
(well, one or two) to pitch in on finishing Verrazano. Even picking a
new name. :) (Third time lucky?)

The idea was to generate bindings for a new library with no more than this:

(require 'asdf)
(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'verrazano)

(verrazano:create-binding
   (verrazano:setup-build "gccxml"
			 (make-pathname :device "/" :directory "/tmp"))
   "testsuite/opengl/opengl.binding"
   "testsuite/opengl/opengl-library.lisp"
   :cffi-backend)
(quit)

(defbinding "opengl-library"
	    (nicknames "gl")
	    (include "GL/gl.h"
		     "GL/glu.h"
		     "GL/glut.h"))

Yummy, prospect, eh?

ken

--
Algebra: http://www.tilton-technology.com/LispNycAlgebra1.htm

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for thirty-five
years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally
won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd

From: Joel Wilsson
Subject: Re: Verrazano rising?
Ken Tilton wrote:
> The idea was to generate bindings for a new library with no more than this:
> [code snipped]
> Yummy, prospect, eh?

What's missing, and where would one start working?
From: Ken Tilton
Joel Wilsson wrote:
> Ken Tilton wrote:
>
>>The idea was to generate bindings for a new library with no more than this:
>>[code snipped]
>>Yummy, prospect, eh?
>

> What's missing,..

Not much. We reached Rayiner, he indicated: "The remaining issues for
1.0 are general bug-fixing and basic C ++ support for VC++, maybe some
user-interface stuff. ".

ie, to talk to a DLL built with VC++ we need some work.

After 1.0 we just live with the beast and evolve it. There is always
that question "Is that char* a c-string?" and "is this a secondary
return value?". I have wondered if there is some way to leverage
existing Swig definitions that reveal that stuff (as I understand it).
If not, maybe we use Antlr and a good C/C++ recognizer to look inside
the functions -- not something GCC_XML does, IIRC.

> and where would one start working?

Ah, that is music to my ears. I think vzn is a big step up from swig:

    http://common-lisp.net/project/fetter/

Rayiner has handed off project admin to David Huebel but is staying
involved and will help out.

I guess what we really need is someone especially strong in C++, so this
is a great chance for a Lisp noob/C++ wizard to walk straight into the
Lisp hall of fame.

ken

From: D Herring
Ken Tilton wrote:

> I guess what we really need is someone especially strong in C++, so this
> is a great chance for a Lisp noob/C++ wizard to walk straight into the
> Lisp hall of fame.

For the less wizardly, I have uploaded a brief overview of the C++ side
of things to http://androdna.com/basic_cpp_hack.zip

I also have a very primitive CFFI binding to C++ (Qt4, incomplete, some
glaring errors, only pops up a single dialog) at
http://androdna.com/pubsvn/qt_lisp/trunk/

Now I'm gonna give Verrazano a whirl.

- Daniel

P.S.  How does VZN compare to KDE's Smoke interface?
http://developer.kde.org/language-bindings/smoke/index.html
From: C Y
D Herring wrote:

> I also have a very primitive CFFI binding to C++ (Qt4, incomplete, some
> glaring errors, only pops up a single dialog) at
> http://androdna.com/pubsvn/qt_lisp/trunk/

I don't know if it's useful for this effort, but with respect to
CFFI+QT4 there is also this:
http://lisp-cffi-qt4.sourceforge.net/

> Now I'm gonna give Verrazano a whirl.

Excellent news!
From: Timo Geusch
Ken Tilton wrote:

> I guess what we really need is someone especially strong in C++, so
> this is a great chance for a Lisp noob/C++ wizard to walk straight
> into the Lisp hall of fame.

Well, seeing that this sort of describes me (less the pointy hat) I may
well try to have a look over the next few days/weeks...
--
The lone C++ coder's blog: http://www.bsdninjas.co.uk/codeblog/
From: Ken Tilton
Timo Geusch wrote:
> Ken Tilton wrote:
>

>>I guess what we really need is someone especially strong in C++, so
>>this is a great chance for a Lisp noob/C++ wizard to walk straight
>>into the Lisp hall of fame.
>

> Well, seeing that this sort of describes me (less the pointy hat) I may
> well try to have a look over the next few days/weeks...

Awesome. Sounds like a helluva swat team is forming. Come to think of
it, I need to sign up again for that list under my current email. The
good news is that I think just a little work is needed to add support
for VC++ DLLs, and then away we go, plug-n-play C/C++ libs. Sure, any
such lib will benefit from an additional lispification layer, but
shucks, that's the fun part.

see you on the vzn list.

ken