From: Kaz Kylheku
Subject: UnSuggester haha.
After seeing the Slashdot story, I checked out this thing:
http://www.librarything.com/unsuggester/

I was thinking to myself, ``I bet if I put in some nice old classic, it
will come up with some computer programming language shit as an
anti-suggestion.''

So I typed in: ``Wuthering Heights''.

What did it come up with at the top of the list of anti-suggestions?

Apparently, if you like _Wuthering Heights_ you probably won't like ...
_ANSI Common Lisp_, by Paul Graham.

It maps the other way too, it turns out. Spooky. :)

From: Rob Thorpe
Subject: Re: UnSuggester haha.
Kaz Kylheku wrote:
> After seeing the Slashdot story, I checked out this thing:
> http://www.librarything.com/unsuggester/
>
> I was thinking to myself, ``I bet if I put in some nice old classic, it
> will come up with some computer programming language shit as an
> anti-suggestion.''
>
> So I typed in: ``Wuthering Heights''.
>
> What did it come up with at the top of the list of anti-suggestions?
>
> Apparently, if you like _Wuthering Heights_ you probably won't like ...
> _ANSI Common Lisp_, by Paul Graham.
>
> It maps the other way too, it turns out. Spooky. :)

Theres quite an impressive division between computer science books,
theology and modern novels.

"Agile web development with rails : a Pragmatic guide" by Dave Thomas
= ~"Reading Lolita in Tehran : a memoir in books" by Azar Nafisi

"The C programming language" by Brian W. Kernighan
=~ "Shopaholic takes Manhattan" by Sophie Kinsella

"The devil wears Prada" by Lauren Weisberger
=~ "Design patterns : elements of reusable object-oriented software" by
Erich Gamma

"The art of computer programming Volume 1 Fundamental Algorithms" by
Donald Knuth
=~ "The devil wears Prada" by Lauren Weisberger

I notice that good books are orthogonal to other good books.  Books on
Common Lisp are the inverse of serious literature.  Whereas cheesy
books on object-orientated design are opposite chick lit.  SF &
fanstasy come out opposite to theology and general fiction...

"The hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien
=~ "Winning" by Jack Welch

(or, going the other way
"Jack : straight from the gut" by Jack Welch
=~ "Sophie's world" by Jostein Gaarder)

"Pavane" by Keith Roberts
=~ "I know this much is true" by Wally Lamb

"The man in the high castle" by Philip K. Dick
=~ "Don't waste your life" by John Piper

"Don't waste your life" by John Piper
=~ "American gods" by Neil Gaiman

"The dying earth" by Jack Vance
=~ "White teeth" by Zadie Smith

"Something wicked this way comes" by Ray Bradbury
=~ "Globalization and its discontents" by Joseph E. Stiglitz

This last one is an instance where I have read both books.  The only
other one I can find is this one:-
"Her smoke rose up forever" James Tiptree jr.
=~ "Romeo and Juliet" by William Shakespeare
Which anyone whose read both will find horribly ironic.
From: Espen Vestre
"Kaz Kylheku" <········@gmail.com> writes:

> So I typed in: ``Wuthering Heights''.

You did? You didn't notice that it's one of the examples on
the front page? Btw. if you type in Practical Common Lisp,
it will also come up with Wuthering Heights!
--
  (espen)
From: Kaz Kylheku
Espen Vestre wrote:
> "Kaz Kylheku" <········@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > So I typed in: ``Wuthering Heights''.
>
> You did? You didn't notice that it's one of the examples on
> the front page?

Not at all, that's the funny thing.

By the way, I like Wuthering Heights, and I have only a small number
computer-related books. I think the last time I bought one might have
been some nine years ago.