From: yaru22
Subject: slime install OR lisp-in-a-box
I tried to install slime with CLISP 2.39 on WinXP.

I setup everything the document told me to do (i.e. adding some code to
.emacs file). But in Emacs, when I type 'slime' in mini-buffer mode
(M-x), I get the error message saying "Spawning child process: invalid
argument."

I kept trying to fix it and gave it up.

Then I saw someone wrote that lisp-in-a-box is really convenient to
install everything in one click. So I downloaded lisp-in-a-box with
CLISP 2.33 module and install them.

However, I get the same error message "Spawning child process: invalid
argument."

Does anyone know what the problem is?

Thank you.

From: Alex Mizrahi
Subject: Re: slime install OR lisp-in-a-box
(message (Hello 'yaru22)
(you :wrote  :on '(1 Dec 2006 17:13:50 -0800))
(

 y> I tried to install slime with CLISP 2.39 on WinXP.

 y> I setup everything the document told me to do (i.e. adding some code to
 y> .emacs file). But in Emacs, when I type 'slime' in mini-buffer mode
 y> (M-x), I get the error message saying "Spawning child process: invalid
 y> argument."

do you have clisp working from console?
how do you run it, and what is specified in .emacs?

)
"People who lust for the Feel of keys on their fingertips (c) Inity")
From: Kevin T. Ryan
On Dec 2, 11:19 am, "Alex Mizrahi" <········@users.sourceforge.net>
wrote:
> (message (Hello 'yaru22)
> (you :wrote  :on '(1 Dec 2006 17:13:50 -0800))
> (
>
>  y> I tried to install slime with CLISP 2.39 on WinXP.
>
>  y> I setup everything the document told me to do (i.e. adding some code to
>  y> .emacs file). But in Emacs, when I type 'slime' in mini-buffer mode
>  y> (M-x), I get the error message saying "Spawning child process: invalid
>  y> argument."
>
> do you have clisp working from console?
> how do you run it, and what is specified in .emacs?
>
> )
> (With-best-regards '(Alex Mizrahi) :aka 'killer_storm)
> "People who lust for the Feel of keys on their fingertips (c) Inity")

I would suggest trying the version found here:

http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/lispbox/#download

There is a CLISP version for WinXP that works great on my computer.  I
had tried some of the items that you mentioned (ie, doing it myself)
and ran into errors as well.  When I tried the version above, it worked
right out of the box.

Just download the CLISP for Windows, unpack it to a directory of your
choosing and create a shortcut (if you so desire) linking to the
"lispbox.bat" file which runs everything for you.

Also, if you are just starting with SLIME I would recommend checking
out the video found at:

http://common-lisp.net/movies/slime.mov

I found that very enlightening as well.  Good luck!
From: [Invalid-From-Line]
"yaru22" <······@gmail.com> wrote in message
·····························@j44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>I tried to install slime with CLISP 2.39 on WinXP.
>
> I setup everything the document told me to do (i.e. adding some code to
> .emacs file). But in Emacs, when I type 'slime' in mini-buffer mode
> (M-x), I get the error message saying "Spawning child process: invalid
> argument."
>
> I kept trying to fix it and gave it up.
>
> Then I saw someone wrote that lisp-in-a-box is really convenient to
> install everything in one click. So I downloaded lisp-in-a-box with
> CLISP 2.33 module and install them.
>
> However, I get the same error message "Spawning child process: invalid
> argument."
>
> Does anyone know what the problem is?
>
> Thank you.

What I did to get Slime/Xemacs/Clisp 2.41 on XP working was
download clisp2.41 and install it to c:\clisp
Download Slime 2.0 and install it to c:\clisp\slime
Download and install Xemacs to where ever the hell it wanted to (somewhere
in c:\program files )

In my profile (C:\doc & settings\admin\) I have a .xemacs folder with a file
init.el and that contains the following

(setq inferior-lisp-program "C:/clisp/clisp.exe -K full"
 lisp-indent-function 'common-lisp-indent-function
 common-lisp-hyperspec-root "file:///c:/clisp/HyperSpec/")

(add-to-list 'load-path "C:/clisp/slime-2.0")
(require 'slime)
(slime-setup)

Lines 2 and three came from a recommendation form (I think) the linked
movie.  Of course, for the hyperspec shortcut to work you have to have that
there as well.
Fire up xemacs and start up slime.