From: Mallor
Subject: Gavino, what do you want to program?
Gavino, what do you want to program?

You've asked enough questions.  You don't need more questions of the
sort you've already asked.  That's just more "Paralysis Of Analysis."
You need to actually *do* something.  So what I'm asking you is...

...what are you trying to do?  What kinds of programs are you trying to
write?

If you actually have a specific goal in mind, like "I want to write the
best First Person Shooter that the game industry has ever seen," then
people around here do stand a chance of making you a decent language
recommendation.

Instead of all this crap about, "Uuuh, like, try everything, dude.
Cuz.  It'll make you... smart.  Or something."  They don't know what
they're talking about, they're not practical people.  They're giving
you irresponsible, open-ended, airy fairy answers about your language
pursuits.  They're giving you way too much credit about your ability to
remain self-directed.  I've been programming on and off since age 11,
and I'm 36 now.  I've had about 2 years of programming classes in
college, and 14 years of post-college programming experience.  I've
even gotten paid in industry to ship products, despite what an
occasional spambot nastygram might have to say about me.  Given all
this experience, and several successes and failures in my own
programing projects, *I* didn't get anything done flitting from
language buzzword to language buzzword for 2 years.  How the hell do
you think you're going to?

If you have no idea what you want to write, then:

- you really need to go to college and take courses in programming.

- if that's not instantly possible for you, then you need to start
using a language IMPLEMENTATION that's EASY TO LEARN, indeed that's
designed to TEACH PEOPLE HOW TO PROGRAM.

In which case I'm going to tell you to shut up, download PLT Scheme,
and start learning.  There are plenty of other good language learning
environments out there, but you're asking in Lisp + Scheme newsgroups,
so I think it's totally appropriate to steer you hard towards PLT
Scheme.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
From: hominid
Subject: Re: Gavino, what do you want to program?
I haven't read c.l.s in a while, but here's my response to his spate of
questions over at comp.lang.tcl:

<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/msg/d80d7dae414f794e>

And that was almost a month ago.  I'm now starting to lean towards the
"troll" possibility...

- Adrian