From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Authentication of lisp systems
In article <························@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
 "goose" <····@webmail.co.za> wrote:

> Hello all
>
> I'm currently attempting a simple application (running from inetd)
> in lisp. The question of authenticating users arises.
>
> I'm curious as to how the lisp machines used to handle
> multiple users. For example, did one have to do something like
> (login 'goose 'password)
>
> (I'm assuming that without logging in, the system
>  would offer only the most basic features).
>
> After getting a successful login, how does restrict
> users/groups from accessing certain functions
> or viewing certain objects?

Only one user can be logged into a Lisp Machine at a time.  While Lisp
Machines are multi-processing, the processes that it has would be
considered threads in current terminology, and there is just one single
process running the entire system.  Everything is running in the same
address space and with the same credentials.

The only security that's available is provided by network servers.  For
instance, the file server implements ACLs, and checks the client's
credentials against them before allowing access to the file.  Relational
databases are also implemented using a client-server approach, so it can
check access.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA