From: daBittweiler
Subject: lisp virtual web hosting
Hmm...  I thinking of starting a web hosting company and wanted ya'll
input.
About which lisp web server would be great for virtual web hosting,
would an apache
proxy be needed. I aiming for allegroserve to serve this purpose.  And
Investiagating which
would be the proper solution for a commerical hosting company.

From: llothar
Subject: Re: lisp virtual web hosting
Fabien LE LEZ wrote:
> On 28 Aug 2006 13:35:06 -0700, "llothar" <·······@web.de>:
>
> >Apaches Fast-CGI is so broken.
>
> What's a good Fast-CGI-compatible server then?

Servers that implement the full Fast-CGI protocol with performance in
mind.

> And, ain't there an independant implementation of Fast CGI as an
> external module for Apache?

I don't know any independant implementation for apache, only the
reference implementation which does not support interleaved requests
and so it wastes a lot of the possible power on systems with a higher
load.

There are commerical servers that work much better then Apache. And in
shared webhosting this is important because there the work load is
usually much higher.
From: daBittweiler
llothar wrote:
> Fabien LE LEZ wrote:
> > On 28 Aug 2006 13:35:06 -0700, "llothar" <·······@web.de>:
> >

> > What's a good Fast-CGI-compatible server then?

I am looking at zeus web server i think it's a Fast-CGI-compatible
choice.(www.zeus.com)
Anyone ever used, or know how well it plays with a lisp server backend.

Mainly, the lisp server will be use for e-commerce applications, mainly
people that
are just selling  merchandise.
From: llothar
> I am looking at zeus web server i think it's a Fast-CGI-compatible
> choice.(www.zeus.com)
> Anyone ever used, or know how well it plays with a lisp server backend.

I only know that it is a good choice for a webserver.
AFAIK many Ruby on Rails systems use zeus.

So the question is how good is the lisp implementation of the Fast-CGI
protocol.
From: Maciek Pasternacki
On Setting Orange, Bureaucracy 21, 3172 YOLD, ·······@web.de wrote:

> Without knowing very much, the normal answer is that you need a good
> Fast-CGI enabled webserver ( _NOT_ apache !!) which directs its request
> to a Fast-CGI lisp server. Without Fast-CGI it is almost impossible to
> protect shared webspaces from each other and maintain stability.

What are the advantages over Lisp HTTP server with reverse Squid in
front of it? (considering that in real life project I'd use reverse
Squid anyway to have caching of static content).

--
-><- This signature intentionally left blank. -><-