From: Sean SCC
Subject: Problems using emacs/slime/clisp
Hi,

On my work machine (Windows XP) I do not have write file access to my
root directory. Note that I can create and delete directories, just not
files.

I am trying to use Lispbox and having lots of problems with exiting and
saving from emacs. I think the problem is created because emacs is
trying to write a file to c:/.emacs-places or something related to
this, also SLIME seems to want to save a file in c:/slime-history to
root as well.

Any ideas on how I can change this behaviour?

From: Markus Grueneis
Subject: Re: Problems using emacs/slime/clisp
Sean SCC schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> On my work machine (Windows XP) I do not have write file access to my
> root directory. Note that I can create and delete directories, just not
> files.
>
> I am trying to use Lispbox and having lots of problems with exiting and
> saving from emacs. I think the problem is created because emacs is
> trying to write a file to c:/.emacs-places or something related to
> this, also SLIME seems to want to save a file in c:/slime-history to
> root as well.
>
> Any ideas on how I can change this behaviour?

Set the HOME environment variable for yourself to a place you may write
to.  To go on with Windows conformance, this would be in your
profile/application data directory, though I prefer to keep all my
unixisms out there.

Note that Lispbox does not save a .emacs file, which you may or may not
like to have.  Additionally, if you take a current CVS Emacs 22 (a
complete Windows installer including gnuclient/gnuserv exists) you will
have better integration, better multi-language support, preview
capability for Latex and so on and so on...  It may require some work to
get all things done so nicely as in Lispbox, though.

best regards,
-- Markus
From: Sean SCC
Thanks! Works perfectly now (I think). Will have a go later at getting
a better emacs installed - when I am feeling brave.