From: K.S.Sreeram
Subject: understanding lisp internals
Hi All,

The various free lisp/scheme implementations are classified according
to properties like.. performance, features, libraries etc etc... But
can somebody tell me, which ones have simple and clean internals? I'm
asking because I want to use the code to understand more about how
lisps are implemented. I guess 'simple' implies 'less features', but
that doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance!
[sreeram;]

From: John Stoneham
Subject: Re: understanding lisp internals
K.S.Sreeram wrote:
> asking because I want to use the code to understand more about how
> lisps are implemented.

Take a look at "Lisp in Small Pieces":
http://www-spi.lip6.fr/~queinnec/WWW/LiSP.html
From: funkyj
K.S.Sreeram wrote:

> The various free lisp/scheme implementations are classified according
> to properties like.. performance, features, libraries etc etc... But
> can somebody tell me, which ones have simple and clean internals?

for small and simple it is hard to beat 'tiny scheme'

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tinyscheme

and

http://tinyscheme.sourceforge.net/home.html

From: Ari Johnson
"K.S.Sreeram" <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> The various free lisp/scheme implementations are classified according
> to properties like.. performance, features, libraries etc etc... But
> can somebody tell me, which ones have simple and clean internals? I'm
> asking because I want to use the code to understand more about how
> lisps are implemented. I guess 'simple' implies 'less features', but
> that doesn't matter.

Simple doesn't really imply fewer features, if the features are
cleanly laid out and separated.  I don't know enough about the
internals of various Common Lisp and Scheme implementations, although
I have dug into Guile and SBCL.  Guile was fairly quick to find my way
around in, and SBCL has a learning curve to understand the layout of
everything but once you get to that point it is fairly easy to
understand the actual code.

Depending on what you want to understand about their implementations,
you could go with either of those or even my own ALisp dialect for
comparison purposes of a naive, hobby-horsical Lisp versus a serious
one.