From: gavino
Subject: Ok I have decided to learn clisp, whats best tutorial?
is ansi cl by graham best?
is pcl by siebels?
I plan to start hacking on linux.
can lisp do in memory databases like hasjells happs? or prevayler for
java?

From: hayeah
gavino wrote:
> is ansi cl by graham best?

Peter Siebel's book is the canonical introduction nowadays...
http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/

> is pcl by siebels?

Ya.

> I plan to start hacking on linux.
> can lisp do in memory databases like hasjells happs? or prevayler for

Look up elephant or cl-store. Don't worry if you can't find
exactly what you want. Persevere. In 1 or 2 years you can
roll your own :-)

> java?

No thanks. I've had enough.

Seriously though. Don't get discouraged if you feel you
are not as productive in lisp as in another language you
are used to. It takes times to learn. Just relax, and when
in doubt, think that a lot of *really* smart people think lisp
is way cool. So it ought to be good enough for you (and me) ;-)
From: Pierre THIERRY
Le Thu, 17 Aug 2006 00:25:13 -0700, hayeah a écrit :
> Seriously though. Don't get discouraged if you feel you are not as
> productive in lisp as in another language you are used to. It takes
> times to learn.

Not that much IME. In about two months after I begun reading PCL, I was
able to write a web framework that used macros to automagically generate
forms and pages from sexprs descriptions of products, and finally
implement a design I was fighting with in C++ (which would have involved
a rather complicated template meta-programming in C++, and some
artificially limited pseudo-variadic dirty templates as API) for months.

YMMV, but Lisp was a revolution to me, in a astonishingly small amount
of time.

Happily,
Nowhere man
--
···········@levallois.eu.org
OpenPGP 0xD9D50D8A
From: ·········@yahoo.com.sg
gavino wrote:
> is ansi cl by graham best?
> is pcl by siebels?
> I plan to start hacking on linux.
> can lisp do in memory databases like hasjells happs? or prevayler for
> java?

Personally I did enjoy reading graham's book very much. You can learn a
lot about lisp from relatively thin (but dense) book. But I think
Siebel's book is good too, more oriented to real work applications.
Best thing about it is that it is has an online version.
From: Nicolas Neuss
·········@yahoo.com.sg writes:

> gavino wrote:
>> is ansi cl by graham best?
>> is pcl by siebels?
             ^^^^^^
> Siebel's book is good too, more oriented to real work applications.
  ^^^^^^

To all newbies: the name is SEIBEL!

Nicolas
From: Robert J. Hansen
> is ansi cl by graham best?
> is pcl by siebels?

I'd start with _Practical Common Lisp_, mostly because its author has
been kind enough to make a free version available online.  Work through
the first chapter or two.  If you like his style, then keep going.
Otherwise, drop $50 (or whatever it is) on Amazon for Graham's book.
It's pretty simple.  :)

> I plan to start hacking on linux.

LISP may not be the right language for you if you want to do low-level
system stuff.  UFFI is not typically a beginner's subject.

> can lisp do in memory databases like hasjells happs?

Relational databases aren't built into LISP, but it has rich support
for hash tables, property lists and other data structures which can be
used for much the same effect.  The first few chapters of Peter
Seibel's book will show you how to do a CD database in just about 50
lines of LISP.
From: prabuinet
From: Fabien LE LEZ
On 17 Aug 2006 05:16:53 -0700, "prabuinet" <·········@gmail.com>:

>Peter Siebel's book is pretty good, but except one thing. Peter didn't
>give you any excercises to do. Learning alone cannot make u a good
>programmer, u wanna do something actively, learn from Peter's book and
>work out the excercises in SICP:
>http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book-Z-H-37.html#%_chap_Temp_850

Thanks for the link but... are those Lisp exercises?

<http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book-Z-H-10.html#%_thm_1.4>

If it is, it's definitely not the same kind of Lisp Peter talks about.
From: Markus Grueneis
Fabien LE LEZ schrieb:
> On 17 Aug 2006 05:16:53 -0700, "prabuinet" <·········@gmail.com>:
>
>> Peter Siebel's book is pretty good, but except one thing. Peter didn't
>> give you any excercises to do. Learning alone cannot make u a good
>> programmer, u wanna do something actively, learn from Peter's book and
>> work out the excercises in SICP:
>> http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book-Z-H-37.html#%_chap_Temp_850
>
> Thanks for the link but... are those Lisp exercises?

Yes, Lisp indeed, but another dialect, Scheme.  Look for Lisp-1 vs.
Lisp-2, or browse on the Subject lines of c.l.l., you'll find tons of
information (and trolling).

> <http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book-Z-H-10.html#%_thm_1.4>
>
> If it is, it's definitely not the same kind of Lisp Peter talks about.

P.S.: I know I am nitpicking, but it's Peter _Seibel_, not _Siebel_.  At
least my platted-dead-tree version says so...  This happens a bit to
often to believe of it just beeing a typing error.
From: Robert Uhl
Markus Grueneis <··········@gmx.net> writes:

> P.S.: I know I am nitpicking, but it's Peter _Seibel_, not _Siebel_.
> At least my platted-dead-tree version says so...  This happens a bit
> to often to believe of it just beeing a typing error.

It's tough for me because another of my hobbies is brewing and there
happens to be a famous brewing school called the Siebel Institute...

Government does not cause affluence.  Citizens of totalitarian countries
have plenty of government and nothing of anything else. --P. J. O'Rourke
From: Fabien LE LEZ
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 22:03:42 +0200, Markus Grueneis
<··········@gmx.net>:

>> If it is, it's definitely not the same kind of Lisp Peter talks about.
>

>P.S.: I know I am nitpicking, but it's Peter _Seibel_, not _Siebel_.

That's why I wrote "Peter". He's well-known enough anyway.

[Well, it might be my old C++ habits -- when you say "Bjarne",
everyone pretty much guess who you're talking about, even out of
context ;-) ]
From: Markus Grueneis
Fabien LE LEZ schrieb:
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 22:03:42 +0200, Markus Grueneis
> <··········@gmx.net>:
>
>>> If it is, it's definitely not the same kind of Lisp Peter talks about.
>>
>> P.S.: I know I am nitpicking, but it's Peter _Seibel_, not _Siebel_.
>
> That's why I wrote "Peter". He's well-known enough anyway.
>
> [Well, it might be my old C++ habits -- when you say "Bjarne",
> everyone pretty much guess who you're talking about, even out of
> context ;-) ]

Ah, you mean Strou,... , äh, ... Stru? soup! No... hm.
From: Fabien LE LEZ
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 23:18:44 +0200, Markus Grueneis
<··········@gmx.net>:

>> [Well, it might be my old C++ habits -- when you say "Bjarne",
>> everyone pretty much guess who you're talking about, even out of
>> context ;-) ]

>Ah, you mean Strou,... , �h, ... Stru? soup! No... hm.

That's why you tend to just write his first name.
From: Bill Atkins
gavino wrote:
> is ansi cl by graham best?
> is pcl by siebels?
> I plan to start hacking on linux.
> can lisp do in memory databases like hasjells happs? or prevayler for
> java?

PCL is the best.

As has been pointed out before, "clisp" is an implementation of Common
Lisp.  This is like saying "OK I have decided to learn gcc, whats best
tutorial?".
From: D Herring
gavino wrote:
> is XYZ best?

I don't know which is "best", but here is a group of online books:
http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/
http://www.psg.com/~dlamkins/sl/cover.html
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/LispBook/
http://paulgraham.com/booklinks.html
http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/Front/index.htm

With so much freely available, look around and only buy what you like.