From: B Thomas
Subject: GCL: using texinfo ANSI Lisp Standard as a help file ?
I am using GCL 2.6.6 and would like to set it up so that
(help some-lisp-keyword) gives me information regarding that
keyword. But looks like GCL's help documentation is incomplete
as all but the simplest of function or keyword, for instance
(help 'progn) returns "not found in gcl.info".

However a draft copy of the lisp standard is available from
ftp://parcftp.xerox.com/pub/cl/

and emacs lisp scripts to convert them into texinfo format
are available from http://purl.org/harder/dpans.html

I would be greatfull if someone could illuminate me on how
I may set things up so that (help keyword) first looks up gcl
docs but if no help is found there (or even if it is) then looks
up the lisp standard.

regards
b thomas

From: Rob Thorpe
B Thomas wrote:
> I am using GCL 2.6.6 and would like to set it up so that
> (help some-lisp-keyword) gives me information regarding that
> keyword. But looks like GCL's help documentation is incomplete
> as all but the simplest of function or keyword, for instance
> (help 'progn) returns "not found in gcl.info".
>
> However a draft copy of the lisp standard is available from
> ftp://parcftp.xerox.com/pub/cl/
>
> and emacs lisp scripts to convert them into texinfo format
> are available from http://purl.org/harder/dpans.html
>
> I would be greatfull if someone could illuminate me on how
> I may set things up so that (help keyword) first looks up gcl
> docs but if no help is found there (or even if it is) then looks
> up the lisp standard.

I think the Common Lisp hyperspec is not available in a license
compatible with GCL's.
As a result it was removed from the distribution sometime ~GCL 2.6.2.

If you want a copy then gcl.info was present in GCL 2.6.1 which you can
still download.
Just unzip the info file and put it in your info directory, you may
have to edit the 'dir' file.

The resulting version of GCL can't be distributed under the GPL/LGPL.
From: B Thomas
Thanks that works for me.

regards
b thomas

From: C Y
B Thomas wrote:
> I am using GCL 2.6.6 and would like to set it up so that
> (help some-lisp-keyword) gives me information regarding that
> keyword. But looks like GCL's help documentation is incomplete
> as all but the simplest of function or keyword, for instance
> (help 'progn) returns "not found in gcl.info".
>
> However a draft copy of the lisp standard is available from
> ftp://parcftp.xerox.com/pub/cl/
>
> and emacs lisp scripts to convert them into texinfo format
> are available from http://purl.org/harder/dpans.html
>
> I would be greatfull if someone could illuminate me on how
> I may set things up so that (help keyword) first looks up gcl
> docs but if no help is found there (or even if it is) then looks
> up the lisp standard.

Do you mean look to parcftp.xerox.com, or a local copy on your machine?

This is probably possible in theory, but the legal ambiguity of the
status of those draft documents pretty much prevents anything
interesting being done with them, except on an individual basis - no
project so far has been willing to invest effort where the legal waters
are so murky.  As a result, most lisp projects can't use those draft
documents - it's a real shame.  Fixing that is the idea behind this:
http://wiki.alu.org/Project_FreeSpec but it would take some major work
and actual responses from most of the major players.  There isn't
enough concensus out there to make a real community push for this as
yet - most people appear to be more interested in making working code
(which is reasonable enough.)

There is a script out there that is reported to make the tex from that
site into texinfo, but the one time I tried it I wasn't able to make it
work.
From: B Thomas
On 16 Aug 2006 08:08:52 -0700, C Y <···········@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Do you mean look to parcftp.xerox.com, or a local copy on your machine?

I mean a local copy of the texinfo draft spec. I understand the legal
restrictions on distributing the draft. But if there was some sought of
a script or built in "help-path" function in gcl to allow users to
install local copies of help files (such as the draft) then though it
is not the best of situations, it is atleast a workable solution till
free spec comes along (unless using the draft in such a way, on individual
basis is not permitted).

I use debian and often when package maintainers face such a situation
they provide a script to download "non-free" files on a individual basis
and install them.
From: Rob Thorpe
B Thomas wrote:
> On 16 Aug 2006 08:08:52 -0700, C Y <···········@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> > Do you mean look to parcftp.xerox.com, or a local copy on your machine?
>
> I mean a local copy of the texinfo draft spec. I understand the legal
> restrictions on distributing the draft. But if there was some sought of
> a script or built in "help-path" function in gcl to allow users to
> install local copies of help files (such as the draft) then though it
> is not the best of situations, it is atleast a workable solution till
> free spec comes along (unless using the draft in such a way, on individual
> basis is not permitted).
>
> I use debian and often when package maintainers face such a situation
> they provide a script to download "non-free" files on a individual basis
> and install them.

See my post.

As far as I know the only way to do it is to download GCL 2.6.1 take
the info file from it.  You needn't touch makeinfo the document is
pregenerated in info format in the tarball.  It takes 5mins.