From: jmckitrick
Subject: What's the stock tracking app written in Lisp?
I heard of it a year or so ago.  I just can't remember the name.  It's
a client-side app that has a distinctively non-native feel to it, but
still runs natively.  I'd like to check it out/see the screenshots
again.

From: John Thingstad
Subject: Re: What's the stock tracking app written in Lisp?
On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 22:08:08 +0200, jmckitrick <···········@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I heard of it a year or so ago.  I just can't remember the name.  It's
> a client-side app that has a distinctively non-native feel to it, but
> still runs natively.  I'd like to check it out/see the screenshots
> again.

Not sure what you mean.
There are several.
Do you mean maxsima? http://maxima.sourceforge.net/

From: Petter Gustad
"jmckitrick" <···········@yahoo.com> writes:

> I heard of it a year or so ago.  I just can't remember the name.  It's
> a client-side app that has a distinctively non-native feel to it, but
> still runs natively.  I'd like to check it out/see the screenshots
> again.

PrimeTrader perhaps?

http://www.netfonds.no/manual_pt_eng.php

Petter
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: jmckitrick
Petter Gustad wrote:
> PrimeTrader perhaps?
>
> http://www.netfonds.no/manual_pt_eng.php

That's the one!

Ah, I just wanted to mess around with a real, commercial lisp app to
see what it's like.
From: jmckitrick
From: Espen Vestre
"jmckitrick" <···········@yahoo.com> writes:

> Except it seems to turn my MacBook cooling system into a jet engine,
> complete with afterburner, without ever actually showing anything more
> than the sign-in screen.

Ah. Thanks, you just made me aware that the english page has a very
outdated link to the mac version of the application (a gzipped version
of the dmg, which make less sense after I started creating compressed
dmg's).

PrimeTrader is built with LispWorks, and anything prior to LW 5.0
will not work on intel macs.

If you try again now, you'll get an Universal Binary version!
--
  (espen)
From: jmckitrick
Espen Vestre wrote:
> If you try again now, you'll get an Universal Binary version!

Much better!

Why did the non-UB version not crash entirely or refuse to run?  How
could it run at all with different CPU instructions?

Does PrimeTrader support Options trading?
From: Espen Vestre
"jmckitrick" <···········@yahoo.com> writes:

> Why did the non-UB version not crash entirely or refuse to run?  How
> could it run at all with different CPU instructions?

Well, almost all PPC applications actually run on intel macs, through
the Rosetta emulator (and if you look at e.g. recent tests at
arstechnica, you'll see that the new Core 2 Duo-based "Mac Pro"s do
some of the Rosetta emulation at amazing speeds).

Unlike earlier versions, LW 5.0 works with Rosetta, so when I build the
universal version of PrimeTrader, I use a script that LispWorks provides
which will run a build script through LispWorks twice, once native and
once as PPC code inside Rosetta.

> Does PrimeTrader support Options trading?

It doesn't have any specific tools for options trading, but we
provide option market information and you can place orders with
PrimeTrader (on the norwegian and swedish option markets only).
--
  (espen)
From: jmckitrick
Espen Vestre wrote:
> Unlike earlier versions, LW 5.0 works with Rosetta, so when I build the

Ah, that reminds me of the discussion I saw some months ago on c.l.l.
where the condition handling through Rosetta was causing the problem,
right?

> > Does PrimeTrader support Options trading?
>
> It doesn't have any specific tools for options trading, but we
> provide option market information and you can place orders with
> PrimeTrader (on the norwegian and swedish option markets only).

Oh, well.  I was just trying to help.  :-)

What would it have been like building that same app with non-Lisp
tools?
Also, I really like the GUI.  Compact and efficient!
From: Espen Vestre
"jmckitrick" <···········@yahoo.com> writes:

> Ah, that reminds me of the discussion I saw some months ago on c.l.l.
> where the condition handling through Rosetta was causing the problem,
> right?

I didn't follow that discussion.

> What would it have been like building that same app with non-Lisp
> tools?

Well, I suppose it would have required a whole team of programmers
devoted to tha product...

> Also, I really like the GUI.  Compact and efficient!

Thanks :-)
--
  (espen)