From: ········@gmail.com
Subject: World's Best Lisp Job!
If I had any autonomous systems experience, I'd jump on this:

    http://www.mbari.org/oed/jobs/SE-ASR-FT.html

You should too!

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: World's Best Lisp Job!
········@gmail.com writes:

> If I had any autonomous systems experience, I'd jump on this:
>
>     http://www.mbari.org/oed/jobs/SE-ASR-FT.html
>
> You should too!

Must be able to program in C/C++/Java with knowledge of LISP [...]

Not exactly what I'd call a lisp job.

Perhaps a job you can get because you know LISP, ok, but I'm sure I
could get a job selling fries mentionning LISP on my resume too...

99% of the so called "lisp jobs" offered nowadays don't appear to
involve lisp programming.  They're just fishing good people to do the
same old Java or C++ stuff.

The rule for today:
Touch my tail, I shred your hand.
New rule tomorrow.
From: ········@gmail.com
> Must be able to program in C/C++/Java with knowledge of LISP [...]
> Not exactly what I'd call a lisp job.

Okay, Lisp-related job.

> 99% of the so called "lisp jobs" offered nowadays don't appear to
> involve lisp programming.  They're just fishing good people to do the
> same old Java or C++ stuff.

I don't think that this is the case here. The PI, Kanna Rajan, was part
of various autonomous rover programs at NASA:

  http://www.mbari.org/staff/kanna/

and was part of the team that did Deep Space 1, which flew a Lisp
system in 1999:

  http://www.flownet.com/gat/jpl-lisp.html

>From that page:

"In 1994 JPL started working on the Remote Agent (RA), an autonomous
spacecraft control system. RA was written entirely in Common Lisp
despite unrelenting political pressure to move to C++. At one point an
attempt was made to port one part of the system (the planner) to C++.
This attempt had to be abandoned after a year. Based on this experience
I think it's safe to say that if not for Lisp the Remote Agent would
have failed. We used four different Common Lisps in the course of the
Remote Agent project: MCL, Allegro, Harlequin, and CLisp. These ran in
various combinations on three different operating systems: MacOS,
SunOS, and vxWorks. Harlequin was the Lisp that eventually flew on the
spacecraft. Most of the ground development was done in MCL and Allegro.
(CLisp was also ported to vxWorks, and probably would have been the
flight Lisp but for the fact that it lacked threads.) We moved code
effortlessly back and forth among these systems. The Remote Agent
software, running on a custom port of Harlequin Common Lisp, flew
aboard Deep Space 1 (DS1), the first mission of NASA's New Millennium
program. Remote Agent controlled DS1 for two days in May of 1999.
During that time we were able to debug and fix a race condition that
had not shown up during ground testing. (Debugging a program running on
a $100M piece of hardware that is 100 million miles away is an
interesting experience. Having a read-eval-print loop running on the
spacecraft proved invaluable in finding and fixing the problem. The
story of the Remote Agent bug is an interesting one in and of itself.)"

These days you can clearly put a whole lisp system on a rover, esp. one
that doesn't have to fly into space! I wouldn't be too surprised if
they are considering it, but who knows. I'm sure that "unrelenting
political pressure" remains strong, although it's probably Java and
Python these days! :-)
From: Espen Vestre
Pascal Bourguignon <···@informatimago.com> writes:

> Perhaps a job you can get because you know LISP, ok, but I'm sure I
> could get a job selling fries mentionning LISP on my resume too...

I don't actually think so, they would prefer non-lisping applicants
:-P

> 99% of the so called "lisp jobs" offered nowadays don't appear to
> involve lisp programming.  They're just fishing good people to do the
> same old Java or C++ stuff.

99% sounds a little harsh, but if a quite a number of companies are
actually using "lisp" to attract good programmers, then maybe there's
hope that they will start asking themselves why the people they want
to attract would rather have a lisp job?
--
  (espen)
From: Mallor
Espen Vestre wrote:
> Pascal Bourguignon <···@informatimago.com> writes:
>
> > Perhaps a job you can get because you know LISP, ok, but I'm sure I
> > could get a job selling fries mentionning LISP on my resume too...
>
> I don't actually think so, they would prefer non-lisping applicants
> :-P

"Would you like flies withp thap?"

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
From: Rob Warnock
Mallor <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
+---------------
| Espen Vestre wrote:
| > Pascal Bourguignon <···@informatimago.com> writes:
| > > Perhaps a job you can get because you know LISP, ok, but I'm sure I
| > > could get a job selling fries mentionning LISP on my resume too...
| >
| > I don't actually think so, they would prefer non-lisping applicants
| > :-P
|
| "Would you like flies withp thap?"
+---------------

Naaaahh, only Schemers use "?". A true
Lisper would just say "SUPERSIZE-P"...

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403		(650)572-2607
From: Pascal Bourguignon
Espen Vestre <·····@vestre.net> writes:

> Pascal Bourguignon <···@informatimago.com> writes:
>
>> Perhaps a job you can get because you know LISP, ok, but I'm sure I
>> could get a job selling fries mentionning LISP on my resume too...
>
> I don't actually think so, they would prefer non-lisping applicants
> :-P
>
>> 99% of the so called "lisp jobs" offered nowadays don't appear to
>> involve lisp programming.  They're just fishing good people to do the
>> same old Java or C++ stuff.
>
> 99% sounds a little harsh, but if a quite a number of companies are
> actually using "lisp" to attract good programmers, then maybe there's
> hope that they will start asking themselves why the people they want
> to attract would rather have a lisp job?

Agreed, it may be a light at the end of the tunnel...

PLEASE NOTE: Some quantum physics theories suggest that when the
consumer is not directly observing this product, it may cease to
exist or will exist only in a vague and undetermined state.
From: Kaz Kylheku
Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
> ········@gmail.com writes:
>
> > If I had any autonomous systems experience, I'd jump on this:
> >
> >     http://www.mbari.org/oed/jobs/SE-ASR-FT.html
> >
> > You should too!
>
> Must be able to program in C/C++/Java with knowledge of LISP [...]
>
> Not exactly what I'd call a lisp job.

Worse: it could mean: ``candidate's main task will be converting 25,000
lines of Lisp into 150,000 lines of whatever else.''