From: Jonathon McKitrick
Subject: Silly question: what's the difference between ';' comments and '#|...|#' comments? N.P.
N.P.

From: ···············@yahoo.com
;;;; NEPTUNE LANDING CODE
;;;; Copyright NASA, 2006.
;;;; [Some years ago, the first ;;;; line might
;;;;  contain info read by the Lisp system and/or
;;;;  editor.]

;;; Main section: my-func

#| This implementation is terrible!  Forget it.
(defun my-func ()
  (my-input)
  (main-work-from-barney)) ;; rotten O(n^2) algorithm
|#

(defun my-func ()
  (my-input)          ; singles often get tabbed over
  (main-work)) ;; great O(n log n) version from Dora
From: ···············@yahoo.com

From: Tayssir John Gabbour
Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> what's the difference between ';' comments
> and '#|...|#' comments?

You probably know this, but keep in mind there are also ways to
"comment" things out like:

(list 1
      #-(and) (+ 999 999)
      2)
-> (1 2)

(list 1
      #-(and) #-(and) :absurd-keyword (+ 999 999)
      2)
-> (1 2)

Tayssir
From: Kaz Kylheku
> Silly question: what's the difference between ';' comments and '#|...|#' comments?

The obvious answer is that one goes from semicolon to newline, the
other from hash pipe to pipe hash. :)

A subtle difference is that # is a non-terminating macro character
whereas ; is terminating. Therefore:

   A;this is symbol followed by a comment

   A#|this is whole thing is a symbol|#

Because # is a dispatching macro character, it's syntactically possible
to have digits there also, but this is an error:

  #1234| what? |#

Not clear to me whether this requires an error to be signaled, or is
undefined behavior.

The #| |# comments nest. But the inner nested occurences are recognized
without regard for the language syntax. That is to say, everything
between #| and |# is just characters to be ignored, but every embedded
#| digraph must be matched by |#.

E.g.

  #|  (X Y #| "STRING|#" Z) |#

The material between the outermost #| |# only resembles the regular
Lisp syntax; it isn't taken to be such.
From: Barry Margolin
The important difference is in how they're expected to be used.

';' is generally used for textual comments, while '#|...|#' is normally
used for commenting out sections of code.  This is because #|...|# can
easily be inserted into the code without affecting anything around it.
For instance, if you have:

(defun sample-func (arg)
  (do-this arg)
  (do-another arg)
  (do-one-more-thing arg))

you can easily comment out the last line:

(defun sample-func (arg)
  (do-this arg)
  (do-another arg)
  #|(do-one-more-thing arg)|#)

If you wanted to use ';' you would have to move the final parenthesis to
the next line, to keep it from being commented out as well.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: Stefan Scholl
Like // and /* ... */ in the C like languages.

--
Web (en): http://www.no-spoon.de/ -*- Web (de): http://www.frell.de/
From: Kaz Kylheku
Stefan Scholl wrote:
> Like // and /* ... */ in the C like languages.

But note that /* in C and C++ is scanned only to find a */ sequence to
terminate the comment, so these comments do not nest.