From: gavino
Subject: has anyone here read ansi common lisp starting as beginner and got it?
I tried failed now thinking of trying again.

I want to make awesome apps but dont know programming.

From: ajones
gavino wrote:
> I tried failed now thinking of trying again.
>
> I want to make awesome apps but dont know programming.

I would highly recomment Practical Common Lisp by Peter Seibel. I am
also putting in the effort to learn Lisp and have found this book
extremely useful. You can test drive it at
http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/

If by "don't know programming" you literally mean you have done no
programming before, I don't really know what to refer you to. You may
still do well with PCL, but it has been so long since I learned that I
have a hard time remembering what originally tripped me up that I don't
know now.

-Adam
From: Ralph Moritz
On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 23:05:09 -0700, ajones wrote:

> gavino wrote:
>> I tried failed now thinking of trying again.
>>
>> I want to make awesome apps but dont know programming.
>
> I would highly recomment Practical Common Lisp by Peter Seibel. I am
> also putting in the effort to learn Lisp and have found this book
> extremely useful. You can test drive it at
> http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/
>
> If by "don't know programming" you literally mean you have done no
> programming before, I don't really know what to refer you to. You may
> still do well with PCL, but it has been so long since I learned that I
> have a hard time remembering what originally tripped me up that I don't
> know now.

I second Adam's suggestion to read PCL. To get you started on programming
concepts and gain a solid understanding of how computers work, I
recommend `Programming from the Ground Up' by Jonathan Bartlett. You can
find it at http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/pgubook/.

Happy Hacking,
Ralph
From: YAD
gavino wrote:
> I tried failed now thinking of trying again.

I found Successful Lisp to be an excellent tutorial.
You can get it here:
http://www.psg.com/~dlamkins/sl/contents.html

Lots of things I had been unsure of were explained in the 12 lessons in
chapter 3. I found them well worth reading.

For a reference, I've been using CLtL2:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/Groups/AI/html/cltl/cltl2.html

The online html links don't all work, but you can download the whole
html bundle from that page.
From: Pascal Costanza
gavino wrote:
> I tried failed now thinking of trying again.
>
> I want to make awesome apps but dont know programming.

See http://wiki.alu.org:80/Education for a list of educational
resources, including books for different beginners' levels.

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net
Closer to MOP & ContextL:
From: bradb
gavino wrote:
> I tried failed now thinking of trying again.
>
> I want to make awesome apps but dont know programming.

As a total beginner, I'd try reading http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/.
The first couple of chapters explain computing very well.  The document
is /dense/ though, you will need to read until you understand the
content.

Cheers
Brad
From: ········@gmail.com
gavino wrote:
> I tried failed now thinking of trying again.
>
> I want to make awesome apps but dont know programming.

ANSI Common Lisp was the first book I ever read on programming so it's
possible... (though I've never heard of any one else doing it)

sounds like you've been spending too much time hanging around at
paulgraham.com

warning: learning lisp may in fact just ruin you for life... ;-)

Nick
From: gavino
········@gmail.com wrote:
> gavino wrote:
> > I tried failed now thinking of trying again.
> >
> > I want to make awesome apps but dont know programming.
>
> ANSI Common Lisp was the first book I ever read on programming so it's
> possible... (though I've never heard of any one else doing it)
>
> sounds like you've been spending too much time hanging around at
> paulgraham.com
>
> warning: learning lisp may in fact just ruin you for life... ;-)
>

> Nick

how would learning lisp ruin my life?  Id have too much fun w computer
n become hermit? or id get so rich id move to thailand and die of
oversex?
From: Rob Thorpe
gavino wrote:
> ········@gmail.com wrote:
> > gavino wrote:
> > > I tried failed now thinking of trying again.
> > >
> > > I want to make awesome apps but dont know programming.
> >
> > ANSI Common Lisp was the first book I ever read on programming so it's
> > possible... (though I've never heard of any one else doing it)
> >
> > sounds like you've been spending too much time hanging around at
> > paulgraham.com
> >
> > warning: learning lisp may in fact just ruin you for life... ;-)
> >

> > Nick
>
> how would learning lisp ruin my life?  Id have too much fun w computer
> n become hermit?

He's joking, hence the ;-).

(And he's referring sarcastically to past discussions on c.l.l. in a
way only regular readers can understand.)

> or id get so rich id move to thailand and die of
> oversex?

People who attempt to die of that often die of other things first.
From: ··········@gmail.com
gavino wrote:
> ········@gmail.com wrote:
> > gavino wrote:
> > warning: learning lisp may in fact just ruin you for life... ;-)
> >

> > Nick
>
> how would learning lisp ruin my life?  Id have too much fun w computer
> n become hermit? or id get so rich id move to thailand and die of
> oversex?

I think he means ruin you for all other programming languages.  I had
that experience myself.  I started with Scheme, and found it difficult
to move down to other languages which can be more practical for certain
purposes, like getting a job.
From: Erick Lopez Carreon
I am almost a beginner on programming my only prior experencia was with
assembly language a long time ago, i read ACL and i learned the most of
what i actually know from it,i think is a great book,but if you find it
complex maybe you should try first with Practical Common Lisp, i read
some parts of this one too and seems more easy to first learn Common
Lisp, and after finish it you could re-read ACL ;)

If you want a good book for learn what about programming is, i
recommend you this great book

http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book.html

I find this resource very valuable for reference:

http://lispdoc.com/

Hope this helps
From: HL
"Erick Lopez Carreon" <·····@fsl.org.mx> writes:

> recommend you this great book
>
> http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book.html

 This is a great book, for sure. Some pedagogical research (I belive
 you can find those papers at PLT @ Brown) has shown a couple of
 problems with it:

 - not enough emphasis on modularity and data abstraction
 - "tastes" too much like functional programming ("weird")
 - aims at students with a better-than-average background in Math

 The problems were addressed at How to Design Programs (HTDP).
 In the Scheme literature you will find more books addressed to the
 complete beginner. The Lisp books that do that are no longer on the
 market.
 Please take a look on The Journal of Functional Programming for an
 evaluation of HTDP vs. SICP, if you're interested.

 Cheers,

 H.

PS: Oh, yeah, and let's not forget the SICP videos! Great stuff!
From: anon
gavino wrote:
> I tried failed now thinking of trying again.
>
> I want to make awesome apps but dont know programming.

This is a very good book to start learning Lisp.
Be patient and don't skip the exercises.

"Common Lisp: A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation"
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/LispBook/
From: Mallor
gavino wrote:
> I tried failed now thinking of trying again.
>
> I want to make awesome apps but dont know programming.

Sure, what's the big deal?  It's just a language.  Oddly enough, I
think I was exposed to some kind of Lisp back in high school, circa
1988.  I already knew some Pascal and hadn't learned C yet.  I didn't
do anything with that Lisp textbook, but I did read it, and there
wasn't anything particularly complicated about it.

Probably what will get you in Common Lisp land is mounds and mounds of
libraries, not the language itself.  Just ignore the libraries unless
you need them.  Similarly, Java itself is not that complicated.  It's
all the friggin' libraries which make it a PITA to even think about.

Libraries suck.  I like ASM code.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
From: HL
"gavino" <········@yahoo.com> writes:

> I tried failed now thinking of trying again.
>
> I want to make awesome apps but dont know programming.

Hi --

 ANSI Common Lisp is for somebody who's not a complete beginner.
 For instance, you must already know data structures, or what a ray tracer is.
 Start with How To Design Programs. It's a Scheme book. Pedagogical
 research shows that students who used HTDP achieve higher marks on
 subsequent classes (e.g., OOP with C++).

 Hope this helps.

PS: htdp.org, IIRC. It's on-line for free.