From: Peter Seibel
Subject: Vaguely Lisp related talk tomorrow (4/26) at SDForum SAM SIG
If you're going to be in Palo Alto tomorrow evening, feel free to stop
by and watch me lay a gentle dose of Lisp goodness on a bunch of
software architects and modellers at the SDForum's Software
Architecture and Modelling SIG:

  <http://www.sdforum.org/SDForum/Templates/CalendarEvent.aspx?CID=1772&mo=4&yr=2006>

Topics to include:

  - Sapir-Whorf or Can You Be a Great Architect If You Only Speak Blub

  - Programming Languages and Pattern Languages and how they interact

  - Generic Functions: Death to the Visitor Pattern

  - Conditions

  - and of course Macros, Macros, Macros.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com

From: Pete Kazmier
Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> writes:

> If you're going to be in Palo Alto tomorrow evening, feel free to
> stop by and watch me lay a gentle dose of Lisp goodness on a bunch
> of software architects and modellers at the SDForum's Software
> Architecture and Modelling SIG:

For those of us not in the area, could you make any materials you use
available online?
From: Peter Seibel
Pete Kazmier <·····················@kazmier.com> writes:

> Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> writes:
>
>> If you're going to be in Palo Alto tomorrow evening, feel free to
>> stop by and watch me lay a gentle dose of Lisp goodness on a bunch
>> of software architects and modellers at the SDForum's Software
>> Architecture and Modelling SIG:
>
> For those of us not in the area, could you make any materials you
> use available online?

We'll see. I'm pretty much of a
get-up-in-front-of-the-room-and-just-talk kind of presenter. But I
will probably make an audio recording and I'll try to figure out how
to get that onto my computer and from there to the web.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: mac
From: Eli Gottlieb
Peter Seibel wrote:
> Pete Kazmier <·····················@kazmier.com> writes:
>

>>Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> writes:
>>

>>>If you're going to be in Palo Alto tomorrow evening, feel free to
>>>stop by and watch me lay a gentle dose of Lisp goodness on a bunch
>>>of software architects and modellers at the SDForum's Software
>>>Architecture and Modelling SIG:
>>
>>For those of us not in the area, could you make any materials you
>>use available online?
>

> We'll see. I'm pretty much of a
> get-up-in-front-of-the-room-and-just-talk kind of presenter. But I
> will probably make an audio recording and I'll try to figure out how
> to get that onto my computer and from there to the web.
>
> -Peter

Todah.  Some of us live all the way across the country from Palo Alto.
Others even live in different countries.

--
The science of economics is the cleverest proof of free will yet
constructed.
From: Peter Seibel
Eli Gottlieb <···········@gmail.com> writes:

> Peter Seibel wrote:
>> Pete Kazmier <·····················@kazmier.com> writes:

>>>For those of us not in the area, could you make any materials you
>>>use available online?
>> We'll see. I'm pretty much of a
>> get-up-in-front-of-the-room-and-just-talk kind of presenter. But I
>> will probably make an audio recording and I'll try to figure out how
>> to get that onto my computer and from there to the web.
>> -Peter
>>

> Todah. Some of us live all the way across the country from Palo
> Alto. Others even live in different countries.

So the good news is that my hatred of Powerpoint has lead me into
spending part of the time when I should have been thinking about what
to say, instead, implementing presentation software using a
combination of Lisp and XUL. So not only will I actually have some
slides available (in the form of a XUL app) but I've finally got a
chance to play around with XUL which might be yet another reasonable
answer to how to build GUIs in Lisp.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: Frank Buss
Peter Seibel wrote:

> So the good news is that my hatred of Powerpoint has lead me into
> spending part of the time when I should have been thinking about what
> to say, instead, implementing presentation software using a
> combination of Lisp and XUL. So not only will I actually have some
> slides available (in the form of a XUL app) but I've finally got a
> chance to play around with XUL which might be yet another reasonable
> answer to how to build GUIs in Lisp.

IIRC XUL is a wild mix of JavaScript, many libraries, XML files etc., which
doesn't look as a good base for a Lisp GUI.

--
Frank Buss, ··@frank-buss.de
From: Peter Seibel
Frank Buss <··@frank-buss.de> writes:

> Peter Seibel wrote:
>
>> So the good news is that my hatred of Powerpoint has lead me into
>> spending part of the time when I should have been thinking about what
>> to say, instead, implementing presentation software using a
>> combination of Lisp and XUL. So not only will I actually have some
>> slides available (in the form of a XUL app) but I've finally got a
>> chance to play around with XUL which might be yet another reasonable
>> answer to how to build GUIs in Lisp.
>
> IIRC XUL is a wild mix of JavaScript, many libraries, XML files
> etc.,

Well, that's true. But I have my FOO library and thus the ability to
generate Javascript, XML, HTML, and CSS from Lisp. So I can write my
Javascript in a Lispy language and generate all the other gunk
automatically from some nice sexp representation. What remains to be
seen is the best way to integrate Lisp at runtime--I could simply use
a local AJAX-style connection since I have libs for doing that too or
I could try to integrate Lisp more tightly, even within the same
process possibly.

> which doesn't look as a good base for a Lisp GUI.

Well, depends what you're trying to do.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: marc spitzer
How did the talk go anyway?

marc
From: Peter Seibel
marc spitzer <······@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:

> How did the talk go anyway?

Pretty well. I warned them as I started that it was likely to be a
Neal Stephenson style talk: starting slow and detailed and speeding up
more and more until it just ends and that turned out to be the case.
Which was a bit too bad because I had left some good stuff for the
end. But abould 1/3 to 1/2 of the audience stuck around afterwards to
ask (more) questions for about an hour so I got to cover most of that
material along the way. I have a minidisk recording of it which I now
have to get onto my computer and muck around with a bit.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: William Bland
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 21:17:52 +0000, Peter Seibel wrote:

> I have a minidisk recording of it which I now have to get onto my
> computer and muck around with a bit.

I was sorry not to be there.  Hope to be able to hear the recording soon!

Cheers,
	Bill.
From: David R. Sky
On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Peter Seibel wrote:

> We'll see. I'm pretty much of a
> get-up-in-front-of-the-room-and-just-talk kind of presenter. But I
> will probably make an audio recording and I'll try to figure out how
> to get that onto my computer and from there to the web.
>
> -Peter

There's an open source sound recorder/editor Audacity, available from
http://audacity.sourceforge.net , with ability to import .wav, .mp3, .ogg
and export in same. Available for several OS's. Version 1.2.4 is the latest
stable release.

David >