From: Jeffery Zhang
Subject: Interning symbols
When editing Lisp code in emacs, if I compile or load a function, then
the symbols will be read and interned for code-completion use later. But
if I define a variable in a function, like
(defun foo (var)
	...var...)

if I want to use var in foo, is there a way for me to read and intern
var without having to compile and load the function which will generate
an error? I would just like to save tedious typing of long variable
names if possible.

-Jeff
From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Interning symbols
Jeffery Zhang <ยทยทยทยท@cornell.edu> writes:

> When editing Lisp code in emacs, if I compile or load a function, then
> the symbols will be read and interned for code-completion use
> later. But if I define a variable in a function, like
> (defun foo (var)
> 	...var...)
>
> if I want to use var in foo, is there a way for me to read and intern
> var without having to compile and load the function which will
> generate an error? I would just like to save tedious typing of long
> variable names if possible.

You could use emacs dabbrev.  (info "(emacs)Dynamic Abbrevs")

COMPONENT EQUIVALENCY NOTICE: The subatomic particles (electrons,
protons, etc.) comprising this product are exactly the same in every
measurable respect as those used in the products of other
manufacturers, and no claim to the contrary may legitimately be
expressed or implied.