From: Stu Glaser
Subject: uffi and Invalid ELF Header
Hi folks,

I'm currently trying to use cl-ncurses (through asdf-install).  While

   Error opening shared object "/usr/lib/libncurses.so":
   /usr/lib/libncurses.so: invalid ELF header.

Could this be a problem with uffi?

To test, I created a program that uses cffi to load the libncurses.so
library, and ran a few functions to test.  These worked just fine.

Is this why cffi is being considered a uffi replacement?  If not, then
where have I gone wrong?

Thanks,
-Stu

From: Ken Tilton
Subject: Re: uffi and Invalid ELF Header
Stu Glaser wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm currently trying to use cl-ncurses (through asdf-install).  While
>
>   Error opening shared object "/usr/lib/libncurses.so":
>   /usr/lib/libncurses.so: invalid ELF header.
>
> Could this be a problem with uffi?

I have no idea, but you might try the UFFI mailing list.

> To test, I created a program that uses cffi to load the libncurses.so
> library, and ran a few functions to test.  These worked just fine.
>
> Is this why cffi is being considered a uffi replacement?

uffi is great but is known to have issues, known to need a uffi-2 that
would likely be incompatible with uffi, and is not very "u"niversal.

cffi is just a different project that took a different approach and last
I looked was about as universal as one can get. I am not doing much FFI
these days so I am not following it, but CFFI looks like it is the
current leader.

cffi also has an uffi-compatibility layer, so maybe you can quickly
switch cl-ncurses over to cffi?

def check uffi and cffi lists for more authoritative info.

ken

"Have you ever been in a relationship?"
    Attorney for Mary Winkler, confessed killer of her
    minister husband, when asked if the couple had
    marital problems.
From: Kevin Rosenberg
On 2006-04-19, Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>>   Error opening shared object "/usr/lib/libncurses.so":
>>   /usr/lib/libncurses.so: invalid ELF header.
>>
>> Could this be a problem with uffi?

Unlikely. UFFI is a thin-layer around the native load command. This
error message is coming from the underlying lisp implementation
complaining about the contents of the file.

> I have no idea, but you might try the UFFI mailing list.

That'd be a good place.

--
Kevin Rosenberg
·····@hypershots.com
From: Istvan Marko
Stu Glaser <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm currently trying to use cl-ncurses (through asdf-install).  While
>
>   Error opening shared object "/usr/lib/libncurses.so":
>   /usr/lib/libncurses.so: invalid ELF header.
>
> Could this be a problem with uffi?

On my system /usr/lib/libncurses.so is not a real shared object but an
ld script. Perhaps your system is setup the same way and this is
confusing uffi. Try to see if you can make it load /lib/libncurses.so
instead.

--
	Istvan
From: Stu Glaser
> On my system /usr/lib/libncurses.so is not a real shared object but an
> ld script. Perhaps your system is setup the same way and this is
> confusing uffi. Try to see if you can make it load /lib/libncurses.so
> instead.

Wow.  Same thing on my system.  I guess I'll try redirecting it somehow.
  Thanks for the help!

-Stu