From: Gary Wessle
Subject: file type
Hi lisp user
I just downloaded and installed clisp and from the shell on a debian
testing machine #lisp which displayed clisp. I just wanted to know what
the type of files created by the Lisp compiler is. is it file.bin or
what?

thanks

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: file type
Gary Wessle <······@yahoo.com> writes:
> I just downloaded and installed clisp and from the shell on a debian
> testing machine #lisp which displayed clisp. I just wanted to know what
> the type of files created by the Lisp compiler is. is it file.bin or
> what?

You can use the function: COMPILE-FILE-PATHNAME
to know what file will be produced when compiling a source file.

So, to answer your question, you can evaluate this form:

   (pathname-type (compile-file-pathname #P"TOTO.LISP"))

"Specifications are for the weak and timid!"
From: Gary Wessle
Pascal Bourguignon <···@informatimago.com> writes:

> Gary Wessle <······@yahoo.com> writes:
> > I just downloaded and installed clisp and from the shell on a debian
> > testing machine #lisp which displayed clisp. I just wanted to know what
> > the type of files created by the Lisp compiler is. is it file.bin or
> > what?
>
> You can use the function: COMPILE-FILE-PATHNAME
> to know what file will be produced when compiling a source file.
>
> So, to answer your question, you can evaluate this form:
>
>    (pathname-type (compile-file-pathname #P"TOTO.LISP"))
>

> --
> __Pascal Bourguignon__                     http://www.informatimago.com/
>
> "Specifications are for the weak and timid!"

I created a file ~/my.lisp, in it I have
(+ 2 4)

went back to my clisp shell which I started from ~/mydir/$clisp

[41]> COMPILE-FILE-~/my.lisp

*** - EVAL: variable COMPILE-FILE-~/MY.LISP has no value
The following restarts are available:
USE-VALUE      :R1      You may input a value to be used instead of COMPILE-FILE                                                               -~/MY.LISP.
STORE-VALUE    :R2      You may input a new value for COMPILE-FILE-~/MY.LISP.
ABORT          :R3      ABORT
Break 1 [42]> quit
[43]> compile-file(~/my.lisp)

*** - EVAL: variable COMPILE-FILE has no value
The following restarts are available:
USE-VALUE      :R1      You may input a value to be used instead of COMPILE-FILE                                                               .
STORE-VALUE    :R2      You may input a new value for COMPILE-FILE.
ABORT          :R3      ABORT
Break 1 [44]> quit
[45]> bye

*** - EVAL: variable BYE has no value
The following restarts are available:
USE-VALUE      :R1      You may input a value to be used instead of BYE.
STORE-VALUE    :R2      You may input a new value for BYE.
ABORT          :R3      ABORT
Break 1 [46]>

btw; how would one quit the clip shell? I tried both quit and bye for
no avail.
From: bradb
The code you probably want is
(pathname-type (compile-file-pathname #P"~/my.lisp"))

and quitting is
(quit)

Brad
From: Gary Wessle
From: Alan Manuel K. Gloria
@Gary:
All commands (ahem, "functions") should be in parentheses:
(quit)
(bye)

Filenames are generalized as pathname objects, denoted by
#p"<path/to/file>":
(compile-file #p"~/my.lisp")

Many functions that accept filenames/pathnames will also accept
strings:
(compile-file "~/my.lisp")

CLISP has its own "standard" for compiled output - CLISP uses a virtual
machine.  Its files have a ".fas" extension.  What is more, I think
some other CL implementations also use a ".fas" extension, but have a
different compiled output - some have different virtual machines, some
compile to native code.