From: Bill Bradford
Subject: Allegro CL v8 "Express Edition" ditched?
I can no longer find any reference on franz.com about the upcoming
Allegro CL v8 free "Express Edition" that was slated to be released "in
the coming weeks".  Have plans for it been ditched?

From: ······@corporate-world.lisp.de
Subject: Re: Allegro CL v8 "Express Edition" ditched?
Bill Bradford wrote:
> I can no longer find any reference on franz.com about the upcoming
> Allegro CL v8 free "Express Edition" that was slated to be released "in
> the coming weeks".  Have plans for it been ditched?

There was a sentence in the latest 'Franz Tech Corner News' from this
month:

"Free ACL Express Edition with AllegroCache coming early May"
From: Ken Tilton
······@corporate-world.lisp.de wrote:
> Bill Bradford wrote:
>
>>I can no longer find any reference on franz.com about the upcoming
>>Allegro CL v8 free "Express Edition" that was slated to be released "in
>>the coming weeks".  Have plans for it been ditched?
>

> There was a sentence in the latest 'Franz Tech Corner News' from this
> month:
>
> "Free ACL Express Edition with AllegroCache coming early May"

And on the downloads page: http://www.franz.com/downloads/

ken

"Have you ever been in a relationship?"
    Attorney for Mary Winkler, confessed killer of her
    minister husband, when asked if the couple had
    marital problems.
From: fireblade
Is it gonna make exes ?

Sorry just daydreaming.
bobi
From: Ken Tilton
fireblade wrote:
> Is it gonna make exes ?
>
> Sorry just daydreaming.

And will the exes be royalty-free?

Sorry, just dreaming.

:)

ken

ps. Actually, I am talking to Oracle now about BerkeleyDB. They want
royalties as well. Anybody know what the deal is on Qt if one does not
want to GPL? k

From: fireblade
Ken Tilton wrote:
> fireblade wrote:
> > Is it gonna make exes ?
> >
> > Sorry just daydreaming.
>
> And will the exes be royalty-free?
>
> Sorry, just dreaming.
>
> :)
>
> ken
>
> ps. Actually, I am talking to Oracle now about BerkeleyDB. They want
> royalties as well. Anybody know what the deal is on Qt if one does not
> want to GPL? k

Sorry to hear that .Can't Postgre do the job or you want embedded
database?
From: Sacha
>> For embedded database (and server too really), firebird would be perfect,
>> liscencing is perfect and sql/acid compliance are as good as it gets.
>
> Thanks for the lead. I will check it out.
>
>> I didn't find any lisp library for it though. And still too much of a
>> newbie to tackle this
>> by myself.
>> I'm going to miss that database during my lisp adventures =/
>
> Nah, you just need CFFI bindings. That requires more C than Lisp, as well
> as the ability to read documentation and ask questions on c.l.l. The first
> research and then question, btw, should be "How can I use Swig to generate
> bindings to Firebird automatically." I hear Swig and Lisp and CFFI are
> getting along famously, but have not gone there myself.
>
> ken

I'll investigate all this... thanks for pointers.
Also there are the open source bindings to c# which
can be used as a reference.

Sacha
From: C Y
Ken Tilton wrote:

> ps. Actually, I am talking to Oracle now about BerkeleyDB. They want
> royalties as well. Anybody know what the deal is on Qt if one does not
> want to GPL? k

I think you need to get a commercial license.  Check with
http://www.trolltech.com

CY
From: Ken Tilton
C Y wrote:
> Ken Tilton wrote:
>

>>ps. Actually, I am talking to Oracle now about BerkeleyDB. They want
>>royalties as well. Anybody know what the deal is on Qt if one does not
>>want to GPL? k
>

> I think you need to get a commercial license.

Yes, I meant what is the commercial deal? Big bucks? Royalty? I am just
trying to find out if royalties are becoming commonplace in the software
tools game.

kenny

From: bradb
> Yes, I meant what is the commercial deal? Big bucks? Royalty? I am just
> trying to find out if royalties are becoming commonplace in the software
> tools game.

I've used Qt in the embedded space before.  We bought about 500
licences, and I think they cost about $10 each.  You can get better
deals for higher volumes.  It was a good deal for us, no huge upfront
cost to get going and the royalty cost can be passed on to the client
very easily.

Cheers
Brad
From: Frank Buss
Ken Tilton wrote:

> Yes, I meant what is the commercial deal? Big bucks? Royalty? I am just
> trying to find out if royalties are becoming commonplace in the software
> tools game.

I've worked for a company who buyed Qt for Windows and IIRC it was only one
payment and then you can sell programs made with it as often as you like:

http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/pricing.html

But to be sure you should ask Trolltech.

--
Frank Buss, ··@frank-buss.de
From: Ken Tilton
Frank Buss wrote:
> Ken Tilton wrote:
>

>>Yes, I meant what is the commercial deal? Big bucks? Royalty? I am just
>>trying to find out if royalties are becoming commonplace in the software
>>tools game.
>

> I've worked for a company who buyed Qt for Windows and IIRC it was only one
> payment and then you can sell programs made with it as often as you like:
>
> http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/pricing.html

OK, I looked at that but I guess I missed the bit where they said, as
you suggest, that it is not per-copy-sold, it is per-developer:

"You need it before you start development of proprietary software.

"You must purchase a Qt Commercial License from Trolltech or from any of
its authorized resellers before you start developing. The Commercial
license does not allow the incorporation of code developed with the Open
Source Edition of Qt into a proprietary product."

I wonder how they would know or craft the legal language. I could in
good faith start with the open source and then decide Trolltech support
would be worth it. Do I have to start over? Fire everyone including
myself? Maybe this is less ambiguous for a Big Company that would simply
understand it must decide on Day One whether to adopt Qt commercially or
not and probably just buy the developer seats and be done with it. They
do not cost that much, after all. Anyway...

"For desktop applications, there are no royalties, runtime licenses, or
other additional costs.

"It is a per-developer license."

> But to be sure you should ask Trolltech.

Will do, fer sher, if I get that far.

Thx to all'

kenny

From: Bill Bradford
From: Bill Bradford
From: ···················@gmail.com
Bill Bradford wrote:
> I can no longer find any reference on franz.com about the upcoming
> Allegro CL v8 free "Express Edition" that was slated to be released "in
> the coming weeks".  Have plans for it been ditched?

On a related matter, I've just purchased a license for ACL 8.0 on Mac
OS X. The offer Franz has is really attractive --
http://www.franz.com/products/packages/macintelpromo.pdf; and indeed
you get licenses for both Intel and PowerPC with royalty-free
deployment for just $995.

Unfortunately, I've just found that I cannot actually deploy using
Allegro CL since it has a bug that prevents my code from executing.
Hopefully, it will improve in the future.

David
From: Joel Reymont
···················@gmail.com wrote:

> On a related matter, I've just purchased a license for ACL 8.0 on Mac
> OS X. The offer Franz has is really attractive --
> http://www.franz.com/products/packages/macintelpromo.pdf; and indeed
> you get licenses for both Intel and PowerPC with royalty-free
> deployment for just $995.

David, are you sure you got the Intel license as well as the PowerPC?
The deal I saw was PPC only.

> Unfortunately, I've just found that I cannot actually deploy using
> Allegro CL since it has a bug that prevents my code from executing.

What's the bug?
From: ···················@gmail.com

> David, are you sure you got the Intel license as well as the PowerPC?
> The deal I saw was PPC only.

Yes, I am: here is the promo flyer:
www.franz.com/products/packages/macintelpromo.pdf
and there are two licenses, two distributions, and the professional
license. I am not sure but I hope that the license includes free static
runtime (didn't have time to check that, but I was assured by Franz
that it is so).

> > Unfortunately, I've just found that I cannot actually deploy using
> > Allegro CL since it has a bug that prevents my code from executing.
>
> What's the bug?

Here it is, I posted it to Allegro forum:

if you save in a file, compile and load the following:

(flet ((LESS (a b)
         (< a b)))

  (flet ((GETY ()
           (sort (copy-list '(0 1)) #'less)))

    (defun FOO ()
      (mapcan #'(lambda (x)
                  (mapcar #'(lambda (y) (cons x y))
                          (gety)))
              '(a b)))))

and then execute (foo) in REPL, ALISP hangs, reports illegal
instruction or dumps core.

Actually, there is also another one which I had reported to Franz a few
weeks ago, they admitted there was one but didn't let me know whether
they fixed it. But the other one was not that important for me.

David
From: Thomas A. Russ
···················@gmail.com writes:

> > What's the bug?
>
> Here it is, I posted it to Allegro forum:
>
> if you save in a file, compile and load the following:
>
> (flet ((LESS (a b)
>          (< a b)))

[snip...]

Does it also fail if you use LABELS instead of FLET?

From: ············@gmail.com
Thomas A. Russ wrote:
> ···················@gmail.com writes:
>
> > > What's the bug?
> >
> > Here it is, I posted it to Allegro forum:
> >
> > if you save in a file, compile and load the following:
> >
> > (flet ((LESS (a b)
> >          (< a b)))
>
> [snip...]
>
> Does it also fail if you use LABELS instead of FLET?

Yes, it does (http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.allegro/379/focus=379
are other examples when it fails and does not). Franz is aware of the
bug but did not react so far; they also didn't come back with an answer
to an earlier bug I reported; they don't have to since I didn't pay for
dedicated support, but it would be nice at least to know whether they
are going to fix it at all.

David
From: Ari Johnson
"Joel Reymont" <······@gmail.com> writes:

> ···················@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> On a related matter, I've just purchased a license for ACL 8.0 on Mac
>> OS X. The offer Franz has is really attractive --
>> http://www.franz.com/products/packages/macintelpromo.pdf; and indeed
>> you get licenses for both Intel and PowerPC with royalty-free
>> deployment for just $995.
>
> David, are you sure you got the Intel license as well as the PowerPC?
> The deal I saw was PPC only.

"For a limited time purchase an Allegro CL 8.0 Mac-Intel license and
receive an equivalent license for Mac-PPC at no additional charge.
Prices starting at $995 for a Professional version."
From: Ken Tilton
Joel Reymont wrote:
> ···················@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>On a related matter, I've just purchased a license for ACL 8.0 on Mac
>>OS X. The offer Franz has is really attractive --
>>http://www.franz.com/products/packages/macintelpromo.pdf; and indeed
>>you get licenses for both Intel and PowerPC with royalty-free
>>deployment for just $995.
>

> David, are you sure you got the Intel license as well as the PowerPC?
> The deal I saw was PPC only.

It was (empahasis on past tense). Still visible:

       http://www.franz.com/products/packages/Mac_Promo.pdf

"� Available for PowerPC - 32bit hardware only.
  � Receive v8.0 product updates for a period of 12 months. Including
AllegroCache
updates.
  � Support available via the Franz user forum -
··········@cs.berkeley.edu. No direct
support from ·······@franz.com."

Looks like they sweetened the deal /a lot/. Now includes support as well
as Intel. Great deal now. Hmmm...

From: ············@gmail.com

> Looks like they sweetened the deal /a lot/. Now includes support as well
> as Intel. Great deal now. Hmmm...

No; support starts from $2,995; so it's still the same case with
support through their "forum". Not very useful, but there is at least
hope that there will be more traffic in the forum.

David