From: Alan Manuel K. Gloria
Subject: ASDF on Windows
Lisp is really starting to annoy me.

My system is CLISP running on a WinXP computer.

I've downloaded ASDF and ASDF-INSTALL somehow, following edi weitz's
guide (I think it was edi weitz's, but my brain stopped working thirty
minutes ago, and I think I'd rather be with my girlfriend now - who, by
the way, is my girlfriend for about 18 hours so far).  Anyway, I've
finished installing ASDF and ASDF-INSTALL and placed them in a
lispinit.mem memory image file for CLISP, then replaced my old
lispinit.mem image.

Then I try: (asdf-install:install :trivial-sockets)

asdf asks me where I want it, so I tell it to go install it personally
on my account (which is the only account on my computer, so it's okay).
 Then it tells me that it can't find GPG.  I tell it to go ahead
anyway, and then:
;;; ASDF-INSTALL: Installing C:\Documents and
Settings\Alan\TRIVIAL-SOCKETS.asdf-install-tmp in C:\Documents and
settings\Alan\.asdf-install-dir\site\, C:\Documents and
Settings\Alan\.asdf-install-dir\systems\

The CLISP process apparently stops completely at this point.  I've let
one run for about 1 hour before I just pressed ctrl-C.  Nothing seems
to happen beyond the apparent error "The system cannot find the path
specified".

Does anyone have any idea what else ASDF depends upon that is making
this crash?

I've cast googlenet "asdf on windows" on this group but my brain
doesn't seem to be working, and one promising thread was discussing
hard links (which I didn't use, based on the recommendations of that
guide I was following - dunno, I think it was cCLan or something, brain
is fuzzy).

So yeah, I think I'd rather be texting my girlfriend, this darned
computer and that darned LISP system can wait.  Annoy, annoy, that's
all I get from it.

Also, for some reason I cannot download GPG at all.  I've found the gpg
site but I can't seem to be able to access the GPG ftp server or any of
its mirrors (at least, the mirrors I tried - Japan, Canada, Taiwan).
I'm located in the Philippines, I have no idea what my ISP's IP address
is, would this have any effect?

From: justinhj
Subject: Re: ASDF on Windows
I had problems with spaces in filenames. Try adding an install path
that refers to your system directory using windows 8.3 filenames and
see if that works for ya.

(pushnew "path to your stuff with no spaces" asdf:*central-registry*
:test #'equal)
From: Peter Seibel
"Alan Manuel K. Gloria" <········@gmail.com> writes:

> Lisp is really starting to annoy me.
>
> My system is CLISP running on a WinXP computer.
>
> I've downloaded ASDF and ASDF-INSTALL somehow, following edi weitz's
> guide (I think it was edi weitz's, but my brain stopped working thirty
> minutes ago, and I think I'd rather be with my girlfriend now - who, by
> the way, is my girlfriend for about 18 hours so far).

Okay, that's your problem right there. *Anything* is going to be
annoying when compared with new love. I suggest you try again later.
;-)

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: Alan Manuel K. Gloria
From: Alan Manuel K. Gloria
@Peter:
Thanks for helping me find my REAL problem!!  LOL!

@justinhj:
I've done as you suggested, but it still doesn't seem to work.

Apparently, when ASDF goes looking for a temporary place to put the
files in, it somehow locks onto my "personal" directory C:\Documents
and Settings\Alan\
If what you think is correct, then the problem is that ASDF stores
anything it downloads into that directory, and then can't figure where
C:\Documents is.

Can anyone help me figure out how to change where ASDF stores the files
it would install?

[2]> (asdf-install:install :trivial-sockets)
Install where?
0) Personal installation:
   System in E:\lisp\.asdf-install-dir\systems
   Files in E:\lisp\.asdf-install-dir\site
1) Abort installation.
 --> 0
;;; ASDF-INSTALL: Downloading 9714 bytes from
http://ftp.linux.org.uk/pub/lisp/c
clan/trivial-sockets.tar.gz to C:\Documents and
Settings\Alan\TRIVIAL-SOCKETS.as
df-install-tmp ...

The system cannot find the file gpg.

*** - Call to GPG failed. Perhaps GPG is not installed or notin the
path.
The following restarts are available:
SKIP-GPG-CHECK :R1      Don't check GPG signature for this package
ABORT          :R2      ABORT
Break 1 [3]> :r1
;;; ASDF-INSTALL: Installing C:\Documents and
Settings\Alan\TRIVIAL-SOCKETS.asdf
-install-tmp in E:\lisp\.asdf-install-dir\site,
E:\lisp\.asdf-install-dir\system
From: Alan Manuel K. Gloria
I've been fooling around with ASDF on CLISP 2.38 WinXP.  With a bit of
hacking, I figured out that the procedure 'temp-file-name was the one
generating the temporary filename into which ASDF copies what it's
downloaded in preparation for GPG.

I entered the ASDF-INSTALL package and did:
ASDF-INSTALL[16]> (temp-file-name "TRIVIAL-SOCKETS")
#P"C:\\Documents and Settings\\Alan\\TRIVIAL-SOCKETS.asdf-install-tmp"

Which was absolutely weird, because when I did:
ASDF-INSTALL[32]> (let* ((pos-slash (position #\/ p :from-end t))
 (pos-dot (position #\. p :start (or pos-slash 0))))
    (merge-pathnames
     (make-pathname
      :name (subseq p (if pos-slash (1+ pos-slash) 0) pos-dot)
      :type "asdf-install-tmp"))))
#P"E:TRIVIAL-SOCKETS.asdf-install-tmp"

The above were the contents of the function 'temp-file-name.
Apparently, the function did not equal the result of its contents from
the top-level.

I then re-entered the function 'temp-file-name at top-level:
ASDF-INSTALL[33]> (defun temp-file-name (p)
(let* ((pos-slash (position #\/ p :from-end t))
 (pos-dot (position #\. p :start (or pos-slash 0))))
    (merge-pathnames
     (make-pathname
      :name (subseq p (if pos-slash (1+ pos-slash) 0) pos-dot)
      :type "asdf-install-tmp"))))
WARNING: DEFUN/DEFMACRO: redefining function TEMP-FILE-NAME in
top-level, was
         defined in E:\lisp\asdf\installer.fas
TEMP-FILE-NAME
ASDF-INSTALL[34]> (temp-file-name "TRIVIAL-SOCKETS")
#P"E:TRIVIAL-SOCKETS.asdf-install-tmp"

>From this I conclude that when running from a CLISP compiled file,
'merge-pathname merges my "default directory" or "home directory", but
when running from a CLISP interpreted function, it merges the current
directory.

I'll try to see if changing my default directory in WinXP will work.
Now, to googlenet how to change the home directory on WinXP.... grr, is
that even possible??
From: Alan Manuel K. Gloria
I've tried changing my home directory to C:\Alan, however, the same
problem occurs.

Anyway, it turns out that the file I should be looking at is
installer.lisp

For now, I'm giving up.  Is there any way to manually install a system
with asdf definitions?  Oh wow.  Maybe I should go on a date with my
new girlfriend instead.
From: Alan Manuel K. Gloria
From: Alan Manuel K. Gloria
Oh wow.  1 hour already and Cygwin Setup says its downloading is 14%
complete.  Somebody remind me that I didn't install Cygwin for a
reason.  Okay, maybe it's the choice of download server, but I couldn't
find a .ph domain and so I clicked on the first listed server on the
assumption that it was the fastest.  Oh wow.

Lisp: Annoy, annoy
GF: Dear, what're you doing?  Shouldn't you be eating?
Me: <eat Lisp>
Lisp: Annoy, annoy, ann--chomp!
From: Ken Tilton
Alan Manuel K. Gloria wrote:
> Okay.  I think I've found it.  It appears that ASDF looks for Cygwin on
> Windows systems.

Define "looks for". I ask, because I use ASDF (tho not ASDF-Install) on
win32. Here is what I do:

Get the source tree by grabbing a tarball or using CVS or Subversion or
whatever. I cannot be bothered to learn the latter monstrosities because
I have an easy alternative: TortoiseCVS or TortoiseSVN. Tarballs, of
course, are the easiest. WinZip or PicoZip can read tarballs, tho they
will have to recursively unpack the .tar they find inside the .gz.

Then (push "/where/you/put/the/source/" asdf:*central-registry*). Well,
look, this is from one of my projects:

#+eval-this-if-you-do-not-autoload-asdf
(load (make-pathname :device "c"
         :directory '(:absolute "0dev" "cells")
         :name "asdf"
         :type "lisp"))

(push (make-pathname :device "c" :directory '(:absolute "0dev" "cells"))
     asdf:*central-registry*)

(ASDF:OOS 'ASDF:LOAD-OP :CELLS)

>  Oh wow.  Me want brain reboot.  Wish was with
> girlfriend.  Then no more problem.  Wow.

No, give her some air. You are totally obsessing over her. Better let
her catch up with you. Or you will have had a girlfriend for eighteen hours.

ken

"Have you ever been in a relationship?"
    Attorney for Mary Winkler, confessed killer of her
    minister husband, when asked if the couple had
    marital problems.
From: Alan Manuel K. Gloria
@Ken
Actually, I've started to see that this is what I could do (I've been
hacking ASDF bit by bit) - manually add the source repository for the
module to the central registry list, then use asdf:operate to load the
source.  This means not using asdf-install at all.

It turns out it is ASDF-INSTALL that looks for the Cygwin tar, not ASDF
itself.  Anyway, I still dearly suspect that the ASDF-INSTALL process
is crashed by looking for the tar executable.  I've picked a faster
server for Cygwin this time, so maybe I can get it installed.

As for my girfriend, she's been getting a little jealous of my computer
- hehehe.  So I really think it's the computer I should be giving a
little air to.  Hehe.
From: frito
Hi,

Stumbled across this thread searching to  solve this problem od
asdf-install on Windows.  I may have missed it in the long thread but
is the problem spaces in the pathname for the temporary download?  If
so, does anyone know how to change this?  Could th maintainer be
persuaded to add a special variable for this?

Tanks,
Keith
From: ········@gmail.com
I actually submitted some patches to the current maintainer, but I
don't think he has had a chance to do anything with them.
http://wiki.alu.org/ASDF_Universality has a running rambling rantish
record of what I did, and a link to the files.  It really wasn't much
work to fix, the hard part is finding a version of GNU tar for windows
that isn't broken.

Anyway, my changes worked great in clisp, but failed horribly in
lispworks.  I haven't done anything with it since then.

Anyway, I make no claim as to the suitability or goodness of those
patches, but they were enough for me.