From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
Subject: Web-frontend to a game of Go
Hello c.l.l.,
I'm working on some web-stuff, and for fun I've created a webfrontend
to a game of Go to test it out:

  http://nostdal.org:5050/sw/SWGo/SWGo/

It's currently only tested with Firefox (1.5.0.1) and Opera (8.52).

Hope you like it even though it's still kind of buggy and incomplete; I
only have a couple of months experience with Lisp (and JavaScript).
You'll find the source code on my homepage.

--
mvh,
Lars Rune Nøstdal

From: Eric Lavigne
Subject: Re: Web-frontend to a game of Go
> I'm working on some web-stuff, and for fun I've created a webfrontend
> to a game of Go to test it out:
>
>  http://nostdal.org:5050/sw/SWGo/SWGo/

I like it. A big problem, though, is trying to figure out the last move
played. This program would be much easier to use if the most recently
played stone were marked somehow. Occassionally I don't notice when the
computer plays a move, so when it takes a long time to decide I'm not
sure whether I just missed it.
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
Ok, I've just added a "Thinking.."-widget - I'll add a mark on last
played stone soon. :)

--
mvh,
Lars Rune Nøstdal
From: ·····@yahoo.com
>> I'm working on some web-stuff, and for fun I've created a webfrontend
>> to a game of Go to test it out:
>>  http://nostdal.org:5050/sw/SWGo/SWGo/

>I like it. A big problem, though,
>is trying to figure out the last moveplayed.

And for Go beginers also, to visualize the move...

Only during your turn... a greyed / translucent stone of your color
snaps
around the board following the cursor. (that's what AJAX is for,
right?)
From: Ties  Stuij
He that was my idea...! almost...
very cool i must say.
i'll check your source some day and your webserver,

Ties
From: ·············@gmail.com
From: Frank Buss
Lars Rune N�stdal wrote:

> Hello c.l.l.,
> I'm working on some web-stuff, and for fun I've created a webfrontend
> to a game of Go to test it out:
>
>   http://nostdal.org:5050/sw/SWGo/SWGo/
>
> It's currently only tested with Firefox (1.5.0.1) and Opera (8.52).

In Internet Explorer 6 it looks like this:

http://www.frank-buss.de/tmp/go.png

But with Firefox it works. There were once a problem that a stone of the
computer was not displayed, so placing to a field which looks empty
returned "illegal move". Redrawing the whole board with "undo" (or opening
it again in the browser) solved this problem.

What do you think of a Macromedia Flash interface, like my Trisoli:
http://www.frank-buss.de/trisoli/
This would work on every browser with a Flash Plugin, which are about 98 %
of all systems, if you are creating Flash 6 output:
http://www.macromedia.com/software/player_census/flashplayer/version_penetration.html

--
Frank Buss, ··@frank-buss.de
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
A Flash-based solution would probably be better and cooler in many
ways. But the authoring-tool does not work on my OS, and I'd have to
steal it and a new OS to be able to access it. :|

I hope IE7 will be better, but I'm thinking probably not. :)

Has anyone looked at SVG? I know there are some authoring-tools for
Linux there, like Inkscape. Maybe something there combined with the
Adobe SVG-plugin would work. I guess "native" SVG-support in browsers
currently is worse than (X)HTML/CSS-support.

--
mvh,
Lars Rune Nøstdal
From: Frank Buss
Lars Rune N�stdal wrote:

> A Flash-based solution would probably be better and cooler in many
> ways. But the authoring-tool does not work on my OS, and I'd have to
> steal it and a new OS to be able to access it. :|

I didn't tried it, because I'm using Windows XP and have bought the
authoring tool from Macromedia, but maybe this works for you:

http://f4l.sourceforge.net/

Otherwise it should be an interesting project to write a Flash authoring
tool in Lisp :-)

--
Frank Buss, ··@frank-buss.de
From: fireblade
Looks good, even if I don't know to play go

bobi
From: Paolo Amoroso
Frank Buss <··@frank-buss.de> writes:

> Otherwise it should be an interesting project to write a Flash authoring
> tool in Lisp :-)

Zach Beane has some code:

  http://www.xach.com/lisp/cl-flash/

Paolo
--
Why Lisp? http://wiki.alu.org/RtL%20Highlight%20Film
The Common Lisp Directory: http://www.cl-user.net
From: Zach Beane
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> writes:

> Frank Buss <··@frank-buss.de> writes:
>
> > Otherwise it should be an interesting project to write a Flash authoring
> > tool in Lisp :-)
>
> Zach Beane has some code:
>
>   http://www.xach.com/lisp/cl-flash/

Warning: that code is incomplete and undocumented.

Sergio Garcia has some better code:

   http://bachue.com/svnwiki/gordon

Zach
From: Rob Warnock
Lars Rune N�stdal <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
+---------------
| A Flash-based solution would probably be better and cooler in many
| ways. But the authoring-tool does not work on my OS, and I'd have to
| steal it and a new OS to be able to access it. :|
+---------------

Plus the recent security vulnerabilities in Flash:

    http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=1191

But this is hardly the first time this has happened with Flash.
It has a long, tarnished history of similar defects, which is why
I keep it permanently disabled in all my browsers and simply boycott
any site which fails to provide decent navigation without it.
But YMMV...

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403		(650)572-2607
From: rif
How does it play?  What's it a web frontend TO?

Cheers,

rif
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
Oh, and it uses GNU Go for the backend:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnugo/
From: rif
Yeah, I was curious what algorithm it was using.

rif
From: =?utf-8?b?QXNiasO4cm4gQmrDuHJuc3Q=?= =?utf-8?b?YWQ=?=
Frank Buss <··@frank-buss.de> writes:

> What do you think of a Macromedia Flash interface, like my Trisoli:
> http://www.frank-buss.de/trisoli/

I can't see this.

> This would work on every browser with a Flash Plugin, which are about 98 %
> of all systems, if you are creating Flash 6 output:

Macromedia has as far as I know not been able to release a version for
Linux on x86_64, so if linux users are part of your audience I would
not go for a flash solution.
--
  -asbjxrn
From: Joerg Hoehle
Frank Buss <··@frank-buss.de> writes:
> What do you think of a Macromedia Flash interface, like my Trisoli:
> http://www.frank-buss.de/trisoli/
> This would work on every browser with a Flash Plugin, which are about 98 %
> of all systems, if you are creating Flash 6 output:
> http://www.macromedia.com/software/player_census/flashplayer/version_penetration.html

I can't believe I'm among 2% of Mohicans.
Given that these figures comes from Macromedia themselves, one should
be careful about them.

Maybe it's just that 98% of people who visit the Macromedia website
have a Flashplayer (at least after their visit)?

Or that 98% of the people fool enough to have Javascript unselectively
enabled so as to allow some websites to collect statistics about them
also have Flashplayer installed?  A sign of low security awareness?

Or that 98% of people attracted by a 100$ earning for conducting a
survey have Macromedia installed, with a 5 to 2000 chance of winning?
http://www.macromedia.com/software/player_census/npd/

My own statistics would be that 98% of Flash usage in the WWW is junk
and not worth installing. I'll have to live with not being able to
view the remaining 2%.  And I'll try to stay away from Flash even
though the children surfing the web would like to know what the (IMHO
presumably silly) animations would look like.

Oh, I forgot to mention that not having a Flashplayer will nicely save
my bandwidth by not loading Flashplayer advertisements ;-)

Regards,
	Jorg Hohle
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
I've added a couple of features (probably some new bugs too) and fixed
some things:

  * recent moves are marked
  * pass-button
  * stones no longer look like "potatoes"
  * score is shown (W+2.5 means White is leading)

..more to come.. :)

--
mvh,
Lars Rune Nøstdal
From: Emre Sevinc
"Lars Rune N�stdal" <···········@gmail.com> writes:

> I've added a couple of features (probably some new bugs too) and fixed
> some things:
>
>   * recent moves are marked
>   * pass-button
>   * stones no longer look like "potatoes"
>   * score is shown (W+2.5 means White is leading)
>
> ..more to come.. :)

Lovely front-end to GNU Go and a good example of AJAX
style Internet UI.

It would be great if you included the link to the
source code: http://nostdal.org/sw/wiki/SWGo
(I had to spend some time to find it).

As others suggested, letting the user choose the
board size would be fine too.

Emre Sevinc

eMBA Software Developer         Actively engaged in:
http:www.bilgi.edu.tr           http://ileriseviye.org
http://www.bilgi.edu.tr         http://fazlamesai.net
Cognitive Science Student       http://cazci.com
http://www.cogsci.boun.edu.tr
From: Alan Crowe
"Lars Rune N�stdal" <···········@gmail.com> writes:

> I've added a couple of features (probably some new bugs too) and fixed
> some things:
>
>   * recent moves are marked
>   * pass-button
>   * stones no longer look like "potatoes"
>   * score is shown (W+2.5 means White is leading)

I played all the way to the end, passed, white connected a
ko, I passed again, then I got a 500 Server Error, when I
expected a smirk because level 0 had beaten me by 12 points.

Is this a bug in how the Web bit talks to GNU Go at the end
of the game?

Alan Crowe
Edinburgh
Scotland
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
> Is this a bug in how the Web bit talks to GNU Go at the end
> of the game?

Yes, I'm working on this.

--
mvh,
Lars Rune Nøstdal
From: Thomas Schilling
Lars Rune N�stdal wrote:
> I'm working on some web-stuff, and for fun I've created a webfrontend
> to a game of Go to test it out:
>
>   http://nostdal.org:5050/sw/SWGo/SWGo/
>
> It's currently only tested with Firefox (1.5.0.1) and Opera (8.52).

Nice work. A beginners / quick-game field size would be nice, too.  I'm
not quite sure what the common size is. I think it was something like
13x13 or 9x9.
From: Eric Lavigne
> Nice work. A beginners / quick-game field size would be nice, too.  I'm
> not quite sure what the common size is. I think it was something like
> 13x13 or 9x9.

There are 3 common sizes: 9x9, 13x13, and 19x19, with 19x19 being the
traditional size.

I actually consider it the other way around. It is the advanced players
that need a small board because computer go players play so poorly on a
large board :-p