From: Mark Carter
Subject: Troll'ish: Future of languages
I've seen the future ... and it looks like Visual Basic. That's what
Microsoft seem to think, anyway.

The link originally appeared on Reddit:
http://reddit.com/
and it's to the page:
http://research.microsoft.com/~emeijer/Papers/ICFP06.pdf
entitled "Confessions Of A Used Programming Language Salesman -
Getting The Masses Hooked On Haskell"

It all looks very complicated; better hope that none of this stuff makes
it into the real world. I like their use of the word "democratize" ...
it's so ... so ... "Microsoft".

From: Tin Gherdanarra
Subject: Re: Troll'ish: Future of languages
Mark Carter wrote:
> I've seen the future ... and it looks like Visual Basic. That's what
> Microsoft seem to think, anyway.
>
> The link originally appeared on Reddit:
> http://reddit.com/
> and it's to the page:
> http://research.microsoft.com/~emeijer/Papers/ICFP06.pdf
> entitled "Confessions Of A Used Programming Language Salesman -
> Getting The Masses Hooked On Haskell"
>
> It all looks very complicated; better hope that none of this stuff makes
> it into the real world. I like their use of the word "democratize" ...
> it's so ... so ... "Microsoft".

I will be curious to see how many enterprise VB programmers
will jump on the monad bandwagon. And how soon "functional programming"
will show up on my bullshit bingo scorecard (wikipedia), or
a Dilbert strip.

I admire the ironic tone of the author (the used programming language
salesman) -- I guess you have to make the one or other joke on
your own expense after selling out.
From: Tim X
Mark Carter <ยทยท@privacy.net> writes:

> It all looks very complicated; better hope that none of this stuff
> makes it into the real world. I like their use of the word
> "democratize" ... it's so ... so ... "Microsoft".

Ahhh - thank you. After a horrible monday at work, this was my first
laugh for the day.

Tim
--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au