From: JP Massar
Subject: Consulting position offered:  Common Lisp / javascript
The BioBike project, ( http://www.biobike.net,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/biolingua/ )
funded through NSF Grant BDI-0516378, has a four month consulting
opportunity (May 1 -> Aug. 31).  An experienced software engineer
is needed to work on this open source project developing,
designing, and implementing a visual programming language for
biological end-user programming implemented in Common Lisp and
Lispscript (a rendition of javascript in Lisp-like syntax).

The candidate must be proficient in both Common Lisp (ACL,
Allegroserve) and javascript
(browser-based DOM manipulation required, Ajax-style server
interactions desirable).
The work would be performed at home in close email and phone
coordination
with Peter Seibel and JP Massar.

This is a closed-end contract at $50/hr x 20hrs/week for the four
month period,
with possibility of extension subject to performance and funds
availability.

Send letters of interest along with relevant experience to JP Massar,

t h i s i s n o i s e  -  m a s s a r   a t   a l u m . m i t . e d u

From: Ken Tilton
JP Massar wrote:

> The BioBike project, ( http://www.biobike.net,

Hmmm. From the "Why Lisp?" essay:

"As for being impossibly complex, it's not any more complex than any
other programming language. (Those who don't know Chinese think it's
hard too, but the Chinese don't!)"

Er, bad example. Tone to differentiate meaning? A language of nothing
but idiomatic expressions? Fuggedaboutit.

Also: "C and friends are designed for writing large, industrial-strength
programs,..." Industrial-strength? So Lisp is a toy again? <sigh>

".. and have lots of features -- such as required type declarations --
that make them run FAST."

Unlike Lisp? Do us a favor, next time you want to boost Lisp.... please
don't!

:)

ken

"Have you ever been in a relationship?"
    Attorney for Mary Winkler, confessed killer of her
    minister husband, when asked if the couple had
    marital problems.
From: JP Massar
On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 13:32:09 -0400, Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com>
wrote:

>JP Massar wrote:
>>
>> The BioBike project, ( http://www.biobike.net,
>
>Hmmm. From the "Why Lisp?" essay:
>
>"As for being impossibly complex, it's not any more complex than any
>other programming language. (Those who don't know Chinese think it's
>hard too, but the Chinese don't!)"
>
>Er, bad example. Tone to differentiate meaning? A language of nothing
>but idiomatic expressions? Fuggedaboutit.
>
>Also: "C and friends are designed for writing large, industrial-strength
>programs,..." Industrial-strength? So Lisp is a toy again? <sigh>
>
>".. and have lots of features -- such as required type declarations --
>that make them run FAST."
>
>Unlike Lisp? Do us a favor, next time you want to boost Lisp.... please
>don't!
>
>:)

I didn't write any of what you are quoting.

"I am just a humble servant."

Please direct complaints about semantics, tone, syntax etc to
the author, whose email address can easily be found via the links.
From: Ken Tilton
JP Massar wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 13:32:09 -0400, Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>JP Massar wrote:
>>
>>>The BioBike project, ( http://www.biobike.net,
>>
>>Hmmm. From the "Why Lisp?" essay:
>>
>>"As for being impossibly complex, it's not any more complex than any
>>other programming language. (Those who don't know Chinese think it's
>>hard too, but the Chinese don't!)"
>>
>>Er, bad example. Tone to differentiate meaning? A language of nothing
>>but idiomatic expressions? Fuggedaboutit.
>>
>>Also: "C and friends are designed for writing large, industrial-strength
>>programs,..." Industrial-strength? So Lisp is a toy again? <sigh>
>>
>>".. and have lots of features -- such as required type declarations --
>>that make them run FAST."
>>
>>Unlike Lisp? Do us a favor, next time you want to boost Lisp.... please
>>don't!
>>
>>:)
>

> I didn't write any of what you are quoting.

Yes, I know, I did not mean to imply you did.

> "I am just a humble servant."

Who sits next to the offending author, even if only virtually. :)

> Please direct complaints about semantics, tone, syntax etc to
> the author, whose email address can easily be found via the links.

Um, I made a response on comp.lang.lisp to something linked to from
comp.lang.lisp mostly for other Lisp fans to have a good groan/laugh about.

ken

[No Lispniks were harmed in the making of this flamewar.]