From: marc spitzer
Subject: Problems with freebsd 6.x and cmucl 19c
CMUCL 19c dies on my freebsd 6.1-beta box, with the 5.x compatability mode
turned on in rw kernel.  Now one of the interesting things is that it worked
fine until I read /usr/src/Makefile and ran "make delete-old" and "make
delete-old-libs" as the laptop had a lot of krud laying about, since fbsd 4.

now I get the following using the cmucl binary:
Bad system call: 12

when I run lisp and it seems to eat real memory until it dies.

I have another box that does not have 5.x compat turned on, and I made a
couple of links to create the correct version of libc and libm in the right
places and that seemed to work, but I can not get clsql to load shared libs,
mysql and sqlite3 were the test cases.

any ideas?

--
······@sdf.lonestar.org

From: Carl Shapiro
Subject: Re: Problems with freebsd 6.x and cmucl 19c
marc spitzer <······@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:

> CMUCL 19c dies on my freebsd 6.1-beta box, with the 5.x compatability mode
> turned on in rw kernel.  Now one of the interesting things is that it worked
> fine until I read /usr/src/Makefile and ran "make delete-old" and "make
> delete-old-libs" as the laptop had a lot of krud laying about, since fbsd 4.

Can you try the latest FreeBSD snapshot which was on a 5.x machine?

  ftp://ftp.common-lisp.net/pub/project/cmucl/snapshots/2006/03
From: marc spitzer
On 2006-04-02, Carl Shapiro <········@panix.com> wrote:
> marc spitzer <······@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:
>
>> CMUCL 19c dies on my freebsd 6.1-beta box, with the 5.x compatability mode
>> turned on in rw kernel.  Now one of the interesting things is that it worked
>> fine until I read /usr/src/Makefile and ran "make delete-old" and "make
>> delete-old-libs" as the laptop had a lot of krud laying about, since fbsd 4.
>
> Can you try the latest FreeBSD snapshot which was on a 5.x machine?
>
>   ftp://ftp.common-lisp.net/pub/project/cmucl/snapshots/2006/03

ok got it and also rebuilt the system to 6.1-PRERELEASE

from the GENERIC kernel conf:
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD4         # Compatible with FreeBSD4
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD5         # Compatible with FreeBSD5

here is what I did to get lisp to come up:
## in /lib
ph18spitzer# lisp
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libm.so.3" not found, required by "lisp"
ph18spitzer# ln -s libm.so.4 libm.so.3
ph18spitzer# lisp
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.5" not found, required by "lisp"
ph18spitzer# rm libm.so3
ph18spitzer# ln -s libc.so.6 libc.so.5
ph18spitzer# lisp
CMU Common Lisp 19c Snapshot 2006-03 (19C), running on ph18spitzer.cpmc.columbia.edu
With core: /usr/local/cmucl/2006-03-01/lib/cmucl/lib/lisp.core
Dumped on: Fri, 2006-03-03 20:59:04-05:00 on bsdcpu.csl.sri.com
See <http://www.cons.org/cmucl/> for support information.
Loaded subsystems:
    Python 1.1, target Intel x86
    CLOS based on Gerd's PCL 2004/04/14 03:32:47
*

As root and a normal user I get the following error when building
portable aservr as follows:

(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'aserve)
[ snip much output]

Attempt to modify the locked package COMMON-LISP, by
   redefining function STREAM-ELEMENT-TYPE
   [Condition of type PACKAGE-LOCKED-ERROR]

Restarts:
  0: [CONTINUE      ] Ignore the lock and continue
  1: [UNLOCK-PACKAGE] Disable package's definition-lock, then continue
  2: [UNLOCK-ALL    ] Disable all package locks, then continue
  3:                  Return NIL from load of #P(:DIRECTORY
                                                 (:ABSOLUTE "usr" "local"
                                                  "cmucl" "2006-03-01" "lib"
                                                  "cmucl" "lib" "subsystems")
                                                 :NAME
                                                 "gray-streams-library.x86f"
                                                 :VERSION :NEWEST).
  4: [RETRY         ] Retry performing #<ASDF:LOAD-OP NIL {484FF6CD}> on
                      #<ACL-COMPAT-SYSTEM::PRECOMPILED-FILE
                        "gray-streams-library.x86f" {484AA8E5}>.
  5: [ACCEPT        ] Continue, treating #<ASDF:LOAD-OP NIL {484FF6CD}> on
                      #<ACL-COMPAT-SYSTEM::PRECOMPILED-FILE
                        "gray-streams-library.x86f" {484AA8E5}>
                      as having been successful.
  6: [ABORT         ] Return to Top-Level.

Debug  (type H for help)

(REDEFINING-FUNCTION STREAM-ELEMENT-TYPE #<unused-arg>)
Source: Error finding source:
Error in function DEBUG::GET-FILE-TOP-LEVEL-FORM:  Source file no longer exists:
  target:code/package.lisp.
0]

Thanks,

marc

--
······@sdf.lonestar.org
From: Raymond Toy

    marc> On 2006-04-02, Carl Shapiro <········@panix.com> wrote:
    marc> As root and a normal user I get the following error when building
    marc> portable aservr as follows:

    marc> (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'aserve)
    marc> [ snip much output]
    marc> ; Loading #P"/usr/local/cmucl/2006-03-01/lib/cmucl/lib/subsystems/gray-streams-library.x86f".

    marc> Attempt to modify the locked package COMMON-LISP, by
    marc>    redefining function STREAM-ELEMENT-TYPE
    marc>    [Condition of type PACKAGE-LOCKED-ERROR]

I'm guessing here, but it seems the asd file is using something like
(load "path/gray-streams-library").  The proper way is to use (require
:gray-streams).  This takes care of the package lock.  Perhaps you can
load Gray streams before running asdf.

Ray
From: Carl Shapiro
marc spitzer <······@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:

> here is what I did to get lisp to come up:
> ## in /lib
> ph18spitzer# lisp
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libm.so.3" not found, required by "lisp"
> ph18spitzer# ln -s libm.so.4 libm.so.3
> ph18spitzer# lisp
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.5" not found, required by "lisp"
> ph18spitzer# rm libm.so3
> ph18spitzer# ln -s libc.so.6 libc.so.5

Install the misc/compat5x port to get the missing libraries.  That's
what it's there for.
From: marc spitzer
On 2006-04-05, Carl Shapiro <········@panix.com> wrote:

> Install the misc/compat5x port to get the missing libraries.  That's
> what it's there for.

thanks for the pointer to something I should have known myself, could it
be put into the readme to replace the current freebsd entry, its outdated.

thanks

marc

--
······@sdf.lonestar.org
From: Carl Shapiro
marc spitzer <······@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:

> thanks for the pointer to something I should have known myself, could it
> be put into the readme to replace the current freebsd entry, its outdated.

I suspect that most people using CMUCL on FreeBSD install CMUCL
through the ports system which knows to install a compatibility
package on a later revision system then what CMUCL was compiled for.

As far as the README goes, the one in the release version of CMUCL is
correct and up-to-date.  Once the build situation for FreeBSD is
straightened out for the next release (I hope to have binaries for the
different releases of FreeBSD available, rather than a one size fits
all binary) the installation notes in the development sources will be
updated accordingly.
From: marc spitzer
On 2006-04-02, marc spitzer <······@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> CMUCL 19c dies on my freebsd 6.1-beta box, with the 5.x compatability mode
> turned on in rw kernel.  Now one of the interesting things is that it worked
> fine until I read /usr/src/Makefile and ran "make delete-old" and "make
> delete-old-libs" as the laptop had a lot of krud laying about, since fbsd 4.
>
> now I get the following using the cmucl binary:
> Bad system call: 12
>
> when I run lisp and it seems to eat real memory until it dies.
[ snip]
> any ideas?

Of course after posting I find out some usefull information,
It looks like it can not find chdir in the syscall table for 5.x:
12      AUE_NULL        MSTD    { int chdir(char *path); }

marc

--
······@sdf.lonestar.org