From: justinhj
Subject: Slime not working with latest Cygwin update
I updated my Cygwin installation and something has broken my Slime
install. If I choose skip below then I get a slime repl that almost
works but cannot evaluate buffers. Sorry to post something platform
specific but this is the best place I can think of to ask.

emacs version 21.2.1
slime version 1.2.1
clisp version 2.35

Justin

;; Compiling file
/cygdrive/c/cygwin/bin/slime-1.2.1/slime-1.2.1/swank-clisp.lisp ...
WARNING: DEFMETHOD: redefining method (LISP-IMPLEMENTATION-TYPE-NAME
NIL) in
         /usr/bin/slime-1.2.1/slime-1.2.1/swank-clisp.lisp, was defined
in
         top-level
** - Continuable Error
INTERN("*DOCUMENTATION*"): #<PACKAGE SYSTEM> is locked
If you continue (by typing 'continue'): Ignore the lock and proceed
The following restarts are also available:
SKIP           :R1      skip (COMPILE-FILES-IF-NEEDED-SERIALLY #)
STOP           :R2      stop loading file
/usr/bin/slime-1.2.1/slime-1.2.1/swank-loader.lisp
ABORT          :R3      ABORT

*** - UNIX error 13 (EACCES): Permission denied
The following restarts are available:

From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Re: Slime not working with latest Cygwin update
On 28 Sep 2005 06:01:01 -0700, "justinhj" <········@gmail.com> wrote:

> I updated my Cygwin installation and something has broken my Slime
> install. If I choose skip below then I get a slime repl that almost
> works but cannot evaluate buffers. Sorry to post something platform
> specific but this is the best place I can think of to ask.

The best place is certainly the SLIME mailing list.

You might want to try with SLIME from CVS, by the way.

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: justinhj
I didn't get any reply from the slime mailing list. Nobody here has had
this problem? All I did to go from a happy working emacs/slime/clisp
system was to upgrade cygwin to the version numbers in my original
post...

emacs version 21.2.1
slime version 1.2.1
clisp version 2.35

Justin
From: Surendra Singhi
"justinhj" <········@gmail.com> writes:

> I didn't get any reply from the slime mailing list. Nobody here has had
> this problem?
I did not see your email on slime mailing list, maybe you should check if it
really got posted. Check on gmane.

>All I did to go from a happy working emacs/slime/clisp
> system was to upgrade cygwin to the version numbers in my original
> post...
>
> slime version 1.2.1
> clisp version 2.35

This question has been asked quite a few times on slime mailing
list. Searching the list is always helpful. Slime 1.2.1 uses some clisp
internal variable which got removed/renamed in release 2.35.

So, switch to slime cvs, the problem is fixed there.

Cheers.

--
Surendra Singhi
http://www.public.asu.edu/~sksinghi/index.html

,----

`----
From: justinhj
Thanks I'll try that. I found the news list archives but no way to
search it.

Justin