From: Albert Reiner
Subject: scope of declarations in LET*
Consider, e.g.:

    (let* ((foo something)
           (bar (bar foo)))
    ;;               ^^^ is this FOO in the scope of the declaration?
      (declare (type foo foo))
      ...)

What does the standard say about the scope of the declaration for FOO,
and where does it say this?  In particular, I cannot seem to find out
whether it includes the initialization expression for BAR.

Intuitively I would expect that declarations always refer to the
latest instance where that symbol is bound, and that its scope
includes the initialization expressions for any later bindings, but
the LET* entry of CLHS only talks about SPECIAL declarations.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed,

Albert.

From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Re: scope of declarations in LET*
On 26 Sep 2005 14:59:39 +0200, Albert Reiner <·······@tph.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

> Consider, e.g.:
>
>     (let* ((foo something)
>            (bar (bar foo)))
>     ;;               ^^^ is this FOO in the scope of the declaration?
>       (declare (type foo foo))
>       ...)
>
> What does the standard say about the scope of the declaration for
> FOO, and where does it say this?  In particular, I cannot seem to
> find out whether it includes the initialization expression for BAR.
>
> Intuitively I would expect that declarations always refer to the
> latest instance where that symbol is bound, and that its scope
> includes the initialization expressions for any later bindings, but
> the LET* entry of CLHS only talks about SPECIAL declarations.

  <http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/browse_frm/thread/7ba514922059d86c/117a179d7c4e2a03>

Cheers,
Edi.

--