From: Bradley J Lucier
Subject: What out-of-print Lisp/Scheme classics would you like reprinted?
Perhaps the following e-mail is of interest to Lispers/Schemers.

A brief search of the existing suggestions found no books on lisp.

Brad

	From: 	  ············@HQ.ACM.ORG
	Subject: 	[CLASSICBOOKS] Classic Computer Science texts - request from Dave Patterson for suggestions
	Date: 	September 23, 2005 11:29:06 AM EST
	To: 	  ········@ACM.ORG

Dear ACM Member,

ACM is launching a new initiative to revive classic, out-of-print
computer science books, with the intent to make the full text available
online to members via the PDC/DL. I'm asking you to identify the
books you believe are "classics." The suggestions I've received so far
can be viewed at http://www.acm.org/csclassics/.

You may also nominate classic computer manuals (for example,
IBM 360 Principles of Operation, and DEC PDP-11 Handbook).

The book must be out of print to qualify. (A book is still considered
"in print" if its fourth edition is selling despite the first edition being
no longer available).

Please submit your comments and candidates for CS classics by
Friday, October 7, including why you think your nomination(s) qualify
as classic(s), by filling out the form at www.acm.org/csclassicspoll .
After this date we will conduct a vote, resulting in the Top 20 classic
books. You will receive another email with instructions directing you
to the Web site with the online poll.

Thanks in advance for your help. We believe this will be a great
service to our members!

Dave Patterson, ACM President

From: Rick Miskowski
From: Bradley J Lucier
In article <·····················@fed1read03>,
Rick Miskowski  <······@cox.net> wrote:
>"Functional Programming Application and Implementation" by Peter Henderson.

The unstated subtext of my message was

"If you want something reprinted, send the suggestion to

http://www.acm.org/csclassicspoll

I'd like to hear what people would like to see resurrected, but it it
is important to tell ACM, too.

Brad
From: Paolo Amoroso
···@cs.purdue.edu (Bradley J Lucier) writes:

> The unstated subtext of my message was
>
> "If you want something reprinted, send the suggestion to
>
> http://www.acm.org/csclassicspoll

And if it is something Lisp-related, another good option is:

  BOOKFIX.COM
  http://www.bookfix.com/

Paolo
--
Why Lisp? http://wiki.alu.org/RtL%20Highlight%20Film
Recommended Common Lisp libraries/tools:
From: Jens Axel Søgaard
Bradley J Lucier wrote:
> Perhaps the following e-mail is of interest to Lispers/Schemers.

...!

How about John Allen's "The anatomy of Lisp"?

--
Jens Axel S�gaard
From: ···@via.net
I'd like to take a moment of your time to rant...

Has anyone else noticed that technical bookstores have either closed
(e.g. Computer Literacy and Stacey's in Silicon Valley, and Technical
Books in Los Angeles) or have been reduced to carrying only the
mass-market titles that sell well (O'Reilly, Dummies and certification
study guides)?

Even University bookstores, which traditionally have a very deep
selection of academic computing titles (not just course books) have
pared back their offerings significantly. The Stanford Campus Bookstore
used to have the entire mezzanine dedicated to computing books. Now the
mezzanine is Stanford logo
merchandise (t-shirts & coffee mugs) and computing books are relegated
to about 30 linear feet of shelving.

It's a really sad state of affairs when the best stocked tech bookstore
in town is Borders...

Btw, OpAmp Books in LA is still hanging in there with a moderate (but
eclectic) selection of tech books.
From: Paul F. Dietz
Subject: Re: Deplorable state of technical bookstores
···@via.net wrote:

> Has anyone else noticed that technical bookstores have either closed
> (e.g. Computer Literacy and Stacey's in Silicon Valley, and Technical
> Books in Los Angeles) or have been reduced to carrying only the
> mass-market titles that sell well (O'Reilly, Dummies and certification
> study guides)?

There is one and only one reason for this: sales.

	Paul
From: Thomas F. Burdick
···@via.net writes:

> I'd like to take a moment of your time to rant...
>
> Has anyone else noticed that technical bookstores have either closed
> (e.g. Computer Literacy and Stacey's in Silicon Valley, and Technical
> Books in Los Angeles) or have been reduced to carrying only the
> mass-market titles that sell well (O'Reilly, Dummies and certification
> study guides)?

Yeah, this would be The Dark Side of Amazon.

> Btw, OpAmp Books in LA is still hanging in there with a moderate (but
> eclectic) selection of tech books.

Codey's in Berkeley and The University Bookstore in Seattle, WA, are
also still pretty good.  There's a good one in Paris, too, whose name
I've forgotten, on Blvd St-Germain.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | Free Mumia Abu-Jamal! |
From: Pascal Bourguignon
···@conquest.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick) writes:

> ···@via.net writes:
>
>> I'd like to take a moment of your time to rant...
>>
>> Has anyone else noticed that technical bookstores have either closed
>> (e.g. Computer Literacy and Stacey's in Silicon Valley, and Technical
>> Books in Los Angeles) or have been reduced to carrying only the
>> mass-market titles that sell well (O'Reilly, Dummies and certification
>> study guides)?
>
> Yeah, this would be The Dark Side of Amazon.
>
>> Btw, OpAmp Books in LA is still hanging in there with a moderate (but
>> eclectic) selection of tech books.
>
> Codey's in Berkeley and The University Bookstore in Seattle, WA, are
> also still pretty good.  There's a good one in Paris, too, whose name
> I've forgotten, on Blvd St-Germain.

Eyrolles, but they have the mainstream books.  For the real good
books, you'll go nearby to Le Monde en Tique, rue du Ma�tre Albert.
Or, of course, as for all striving bookstore, on their web site:
http://lmet.com/

I bet Computer Literacy and Stacey's don't sell thru the web, and
therefore are outsold by amazon.com.

--
"A TRUE Klingon warrior does not comment his code!"
From: Thomas F. Burdick
Pascal Bourguignon <····@mouse-potato.com> writes:

> ···@conquest.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick) writes:
>
> > ···@via.net writes:
> >
> >> I'd like to take a moment of your time to rant...
> >>
> >> Has anyone else noticed that technical bookstores have either closed
> >> (e.g. Computer Literacy and Stacey's in Silicon Valley, and Technical
> >> Books in Los Angeles) or have been reduced to carrying only the
> >> mass-market titles that sell well (O'Reilly, Dummies and certification
> >> study guides)?
> >
> > Yeah, this would be The Dark Side of Amazon.
> >
> >> Btw, OpAmp Books in LA is still hanging in there with a moderate (but
> >> eclectic) selection of tech books.
> >
> > Codey's in Berkeley and The University Bookstore in Seattle, WA, are
> > also still pretty good.  There's a good one in Paris, too, whose name
> > I've forgotten, on Blvd St-Germain.
>
> Eyrolles, but they have the mainstream books.  For the real good
> books, you'll go nearby to Le Monde en Tique, rue du Ma�tre Albert.
> Or, of course, as for all striving bookstore, on their web site:
> http://lmet.com/

Hmm, I went to several on my last trip, and was impressed by some of
the things I was able to find at one ... and I thought I remembered
*which* one, but it could very well have been Le Monde en Tique that I
was thinking of.  Crap, I knew I should have written down addresses.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | Free Mumia Abu-Jamal! |
From: MSCHAEF.COM
>Codey's in Berkeley and The University Bookstore in Seattle, WA, are
>also still pretty good.

I'm pretty pleased with Reiter's in Washington D.C.

http://www.reiters.com/

-Mike
--
http://www.mschaef.com
From: Roberto Waltman
···@via.net wrote:
>I'd like to take a moment of your time to rant...
>Has anyone else noticed that technical bookstores have either closed
>(e.g. Computer Literacy and Stacey's in Silicon Valley, and Technical
>Books in Los Angeles) or have been reduced to carrying only the
>mass-market titles that sell well (O'Reilly, Dummies and certification
>study guides)?

That is the most depressing part - 99.99% of the books they carry are
about the buzzword du jour, or the windows version of the month. Good
general principles books need to be specially ordered in most cases...

Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group, ]
[ return address is invalid. ]