From: ··············@gmail.com
Subject: The art of the interpreter parts 3 and 4
HI.
Does anyone know how I can get hold of the second half of "The art of
the interpreter" by steele and sussman? I've read the first half, and
it's fantastic. But I need to know how it resolves. Who gets the girl?
Did the butler do it? Whats a meta-procedure?

I've looked, but it doesn't seem to exist. At least not under the name
"The art of the interpreter"
Did they decide not to publish it or some craziness?

Thanks

Robbie

From: Pascal Costanza
Subject: Re: The art of the interpreter parts 3 and 4
··············@gmail.com wrote:
> HI.
> Does anyone know how I can get hold of the second half of "The art of
> the interpreter" by steele and sussman? I've read the first half, and
> it's fantastic. But I need to know how it resolves. Who gets the girl?
> Did the butler do it? Whats a meta-procedure?
>
> I've looked, but it doesn't seem to exist. At least not under the name
> "The art of the interpreter"
> Did they decide not to publish it or some craziness?

It doesn't exist. I don't know whether they didn't manage to finish it,
didn't start writing it, or some such.

Regard the outlook as exercises for the reader. ;)

Pascal

--
OOPSLA'05 tutorial on generic functions & the CLOS Metaobject Protocol
++++ see http://p-cos.net/oopsla05-tutorial.html for more details ++++
From: ··············@gmail.com
Thanks

What a shame. Do you know of anything else of theirs that covers the
ground that was going to cover?
From: Jens Axel Søgaard
··············@gmail.com wrote:
> What a shame. Do you know of anything else of theirs that covers the
> ground that was going to cover?

Perhaps you can find something at:

     <http://library.readscheme.org/page1.html>

--
Jens Axel S�gaard
From: ··············@gmail.com
From: Pascal Costanza
··············@gmail.com wrote:
> HI.
> Does anyone know how I can get hold of the second half of "The art of
> the interpreter" by steele and sussman? I've read the first half, and
> it's fantastic. But I need to know how it resolves. Who gets the girl?
> Did the butler do it? Whats a meta-procedure?
>
> I've looked, but it doesn't seem to exist. At least not under the name
> "The art of the interpreter"
> Did they decide not to publish it or some craziness?

 From "The Evolution of Lisp" by Guy Steele and Richard Gabriel:

"Part Zero introduced a tiny first-order dialect of Lisp modeled on
recursion equations. Part One discussed procedures as data and explored
lexical and dynamic binding. Part Two addressed the decomposition of
state and the meaning of side effects. Part Three was to have covered
order of evaluation (call-by-value versus call-by-name), and Part Four
was intended to cover metalanguage, macro processors, and compilers.
That these last two parts were never written is no great loss, since
these topics were soon treated adequately by other researchers. While
The Art of the Interpreter achieved some notoriety in the Scheme
underground, it was rejected by an ACM journal."

See http://www.dreamsongs.com/NewFiles/HOPL2-Uncut.pdf

I am just guessing, but metalanguage could refer to Brian Smith's work
on reflection. See http://library.readscheme.org/page11.html for a
bibliography. There is obviously a lot of work done in the realm of
macros and compilers.

Pascal

From: ·······@gmail.com
I just read the same paper and too sought out parts 3 and 4 without
success. As substitute for part 3 try "Lambda the Ultimate Imperative".
It talks about order of evaluation, call-by-name and more.

I have no substitute for part 4. I'd love to know what a meta-procedure
is. Anyone know?
From: Pascal Costanza
·······@gmail.com wrote:

> I have no substitute for part 4. I'd love to know what a meta-procedure
> is. Anyone know?

The respective paragraph in "The Art of the Interpreter" suggests that a
meta-procedure is "just" a macro expander. Of course, such an expander
does not necessarily need to be triggered by a macro invocation in the
source code, but you can also take some piece of program and apply an
expansion function that translates it to some other format, or the same
format with simplifications. Getting the environments right is then an
issue, for example.

It's hard to tell what they exactly had in mind. If you take a very
broad view on this, all the research on macro programming, compilers,
partial evalution, reflection, metaprogramming, etc., are potentially
relevant here.

Pascal

From: Ray Dillinger
··············@gmail.com wrote:
> HI.
> Does anyone know how I can get hold of the second half of "The art of
> the interpreter" by steele and sussman? I've read the first half, and
> it's fantastic. But I need to know how it resolves. Who gets the girl?
> Did the butler do it? Whats a meta-procedure?
>
> I've looked, but it doesn't seem to exist. At least not under the name
> "The art of the interpreter"
> Did they decide not to publish it or some craziness?

Oh yeah, I've got it on my shelf right next to the sixth
and seventh volumes of Knuth...

Uh, sorry...  I mean to say, that like Knuth, the later
volumes did not reach publication.  Yet.  I hope that the
hiatus is shorter than the one Knuth took.

				Bear
From: ··············@gmail.com
what, you mean the knuth volumes on languages and compilers never got
written?! I've been looking forward to those ever since I read the
table of "contents" in volume 1 and thought they were in that book.
These big name cs guys are a lazy bunch.