From: Michael J. Forster
Subject: The Lisp board game?
A buddy of mine just pointed me to this...

<http://c-jump.com/>

My first thought was, "I wonder what a Lisp version would look like?"
Well, obviously, macros would be drawn as the snow-making machine!

-Mike

--
Michael J. Forster <····@sharedlogic.ca>
Software Engineer

From: LuisGLopez
Subject: Re: The Lisp board game?
From: Mark Carter
LuisGLopez wrote:
> I love this phrase from the site: " Skiing and snowboarding is a
> perfect programming analogy." (?)

The game is for 2 to 4 players, but I notice that they include 8 playing
pieces. That's good, because it means you can swallow a few pieces, and
still have a playable game. ;)
From: LuisGLopez
And have you seen that they included the keyword GOTO in the game?!?!
Perfect for the kids to learn programming.... (?)

And you guys complaining about the 'C brain damage'... ;)
From: Thomas F. Burdick
"LuisGLopez" <············@gmail.com> writes:

> And have you seen that they included the keyword GOTO in the game?!?!
> Perfect for the kids to learn programming.... (?)

And what exactly is wrong with teaching kids about GOTO?  I suppose
you'd rather teach them to loop and unnecessarily check state
variables constantly?

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | Free Mumia Abu-Jamal! |
From: LuisGLopez
Thomas F. Burdick ha escrito:

> "LuisGLopez" <············@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > And have you seen that they included the keyword GOTO in the game?!?!
> > Perfect for the kids to learn programming.... (?)
>
> And what exactly is wrong with teaching kids about GOTO?  I suppose
> you'd rather teach them to loop and unnecessarily check state
> variables constantly?

Well, I don't know... I suppose I have a prejuice against GOTO. But,
honestly: If you have to select 10-15 keywords to teach programming to
kids, would GOTO be in the list? ;)
From: Thomas F. Burdick
"LuisGLopez" <············@gmail.com> writes:

> Thomas F. Burdick ha escrito:
>
> > "LuisGLopez" <············@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > And have you seen that they included the keyword GOTO in the game?!?!
> > > Perfect for the kids to learn programming.... (?)
> >
> > And what exactly is wrong with teaching kids about GOTO?  I suppose
> > you'd rather teach them to loop and unnecessarily check state
> > variables constantly?
>
> Well, I don't know... I suppose I have a prejuice against GOTO.

Don't feel bad, it's a common one ... just work to over come it :-)

> But, honestly: If you have to select 10-15 keywords to teach
> programming to kids, would GOTO be in the list? ;)

Lemme see: defun, lambda, let, setq, loop, labels, tagbody/go,
... yep, I think it would come seventh :-)

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | Free Mumia Abu-Jamal! |
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
LuisGLopez wrote:
> And have you seen that they included the keyword GOTO in the game?!?!
> Perfect for the kids to learn programming.... (?)
>
> And you guys complaining about the 'C brain damage'... ;)

Why, tagbody is cool...

But I agree, that game would be much cooler with throws and restarts,
and a stack.

--
My mouth says the words, my brain is thinking monstertrucks.
Joey (Friends)
From: Mark Carter
LuisGLopez wrote:
> And have you seen that they included the keyword GOTO in the game?!?!
> Perfect for the kids to learn programming.... (?)
>
> And you guys complaining about the 'C brain damage'... ;)

Hospitalisation is the perfect analogy to core dumping. No aznalogy gets
better.

Thinking about it, it's difficult to believe that the game is not a
spoof. OTOH, it looks quite professionally done, so maybe it's real.
Shouldn't laugh really, the guy may be behind in his mortgage after
sinking his life savings into a turkey that's never going to fly.

In Britain, there was a series on telly called Dragon's Den, which
showed people pitching ideas to successful businessmen. One idea was
from a woman who came up with a game about taking taxi rides around
London. It was aimed at the tourist market mostly, and looked quite
professional. However, the potential investors were somewhat less than
enthusiastic about a game involving taxi rides.
From: Steven M. Haflich
Michael J. Forster wrote:
> A buddy of mine just pointed me to this...
>
> <http://c-jump.com/>
>
> My first thought was, "I wonder what a Lisp version would look like?"

I note the page has a rather restrictive IP statement, i.e., that the
page is under copyright.  Assuming the game is also under copyright,
a Lisp version _might_ look like a copyright violation...
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
Steven M. Haflich wrote:
> Michael J. Forster wrote:
>> A buddy of mine just pointed me to this...
>>
>> <http://c-jump.com/>
>>
>> My first thought was, "I wonder what a Lisp version would look like?"
>
> I note the page has a rather restrictive IP statement, i.e., that the
> page is under copyright.  Assuming the game is also under copyright,
> a Lisp version _might_ look like a copyright violation...

Look like, or be one?  If you rewrite MS Office in Lisp, would that
violate copyright?

From: Morten Alver
Steven M. Haflich wrote:
> Michael J. Forster wrote:
>
>> A buddy of mine just pointed me to this...
>>
>> <http://c-jump.com/>
>>
>> My first thought was, "I wonder what a Lisp version would look like?"
>

> I note the page has a rather restrictive IP statement, i.e., that the
> page is under copyright.  Assuming the game is also under copyright,
> a Lisp version _might_ look like a copyright violation...

It even says at the bottom of the page:

US Patent 6,135,451
� 1997-2005 Igor Kholodov.

... which means a Lisp version might be a patent violation (!)

--
Morten