From: John
Subject: studying lisp for the first time
Hello

I am wondering if studying this lisp pdf book will be a rewarding
experience since it was written 1989 and now it is 2005.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/dst/www/LispBook/index.html
Common Lisp: A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation
David S. Touretzky

thanks

From: Karol Skocik
Subject: Re: studying lisp for the first time
I can recommend this book. Besides good explanation of Lisp, it has
perfect exercises which makes Lisp very funny to learn. Go for it.

Cheers,
  Karol
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
John wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am wondering if studying this lisp pdf book will be a rewarding
> experience since it was written 1989 and now it is 2005.
>
> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/dst/www/LispBook/index.html
> Common Lisp: A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation
> David S. Touretzky

I found it a little too much focused on Lists (i.e. the theoretical
side), but it's not bad at all.

Be sure to try "Practical Common Lisp", and if you don't mind a bit of
Scheme, try SICP (Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs).

--
My mouth says the words, my brain is thinking monstertrucks.
Joey (Friends)
From: fireblade
and it has solutions for every exercise .
The only thing that this book will not teach you is CLOS
and i would kill for Dave adding chapter or tutorial about it.
He has great style of writing not someone who just has the knowledge
but also real sensei of teaching .
So in two words get it , you may skip the boxes and not coding chapters
if you like , you don't even have download his software (the modern
Lisp implementations will do ) but you won't enjoy Dave any less.

I like Seibel book and i would definately recommend it for learning
practical side of lisp,
or if you are fairly good in another language start with Seibel but if
you are beginner
make Dave be you first Lisp book its really worth it.
From: ·············@hotmail.com
John wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am wondering if studying this lisp pdf book will be a rewarding
> experience since it was written 1989 and now it is 2005.
>
> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/dst/www/LispBook/index.html
> Common Lisp: A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation
> David S. Touretzky
>
> thanks

I learned Lisp from this book and can't review it less that highly
recommended.
BTW the best Lisper i personally know was a student of Touretzky
and he talks in superlatives only about professor .