From: Rahul
Subject: problem with clisp + slime
Hi.
I am using CLISP 2.34 + slime 1.2.1 stable release (not cvs) version.
Whenever i type out a function name slime is supposed to display the
name and parameters in the mini-buffer. For example typing (aref
<space> will start displaying (aref arg0 arg1) etc. But the problem is
that it displays arg0 arg1 etc and not name of the arguments. If i use
cmucl it displays name of the arguments which is definitely better.

Any solutions?
I also tried with Lisp In a Box using clisp 2.33 on winxp but it seems
its a problem with clisp everywhere.

sincerely,
rahul

From: Tyler Eaves
Subject: Re: problem with clisp + slime
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:13:25 -0400, Rahul <·······@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.
> I am using CLISP 2.34 + slime 1.2.1 stable release (not cvs) version.
> Whenever i type out a function name slime is supposed to display the
> name and parameters in the mini-buffer. For example typing (aref
> <space> will start displaying (aref arg0 arg1) etc. But the problem is
> that it displays arg0 arg1 etc and not name of the arguments. If i use
> cmucl it displays name of the arguments which is definitely better.
>
> Any solutions?
> I also tried with Lisp In a Box using clisp 2.33 on winxp but it seems
> its a problem with clisp everywhere.
>
> sincerely,
> rahul

Well, I would seem to me that that's the way clisp is exporting the
decleration. It really truly doesn't matter what the parameter is CALLED,
only what the fuction you call DOES with it.

From: Rahul
Hi.
well i know...but if it displays the names instead of arg0 arg1 then i
dont have to remember names. for example i always get confused whether
in gethash the key or the table is the first argument , something that
doesnt happen if it displays the function parameter names correctly.
rahul

From: Tyler Eaves
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:48:15 -0400, Rahul <·······@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.
> well i know...but if it displays the names instead of arg0 arg1 then i
> dont have to remember names. for example i always get confused whether
> in gethash the key or the table is the first argument , something that
> doesnt happen if it displays the function parameter names correctly.
> rahul

Yea, well, what I'm saying is that it's quite possible the implementation
isn't retaining the names.

From: Edi Weitz
On 13 Sep 2005 19:13:25 -0700, "Rahul" <·······@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using CLISP 2.34 + slime 1.2.1 stable release (not cvs)
> version.  Whenever i type out a function name slime is supposed to
> display the name and parameters in the mini-buffer. For example
> typing (aref <space> will start displaying (aref arg0 arg1) etc. But
> the problem is that it displays arg0 arg1 etc and not name of the
> arguments. If i use cmucl it displays name of the arguments which is
> definitely better.

Yes, that's because SLIME can only display the information it gets
from CLISP.

> Any solutions?

Why don't you use CMUCL?

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Dan Schmidt
"Rahul" <·······@gmail.com> writes:

| Hi.
| I am using CLISP 2.34 + slime 1.2.1 stable release (not cvs) version.
| Whenever i type out a function name slime is supposed to display the
| name and parameters in the mini-buffer. For example typing (aref
| <space> will start displaying (aref arg0 arg1) etc. But the problem is
| that it displays arg0 arg1 etc and not name of the arguments. If i use
| cmucl it displays name of the arguments which is definitely better.

Yeah, I had the same issue, and when I looked at the CLISP source I
found out that that's how it's actually storing the argument lists;
it's not like it has the nice information but isn't displaying it.

I was pointed at, and now use,
<http://homepage1.nifty.com/bmonkey/emacs/elisp/cldoc.el>, which will
at least display nice help for the built-in Common Lisp functions, if
not your own ones.