From: Marc Battyani
Subject: looking for minimax, Remez, etc. polynomial and rational approximations
The title says all. I'm looking for Common Lisp implementations of minimax,
Remez, etc. polynomial and rational approximations generation.
For those who don't know what they are, here are some links:
  http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MinimaxPolynomial.html
  http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RemezAlgorithm.html

Thanks,

Marc
From: Richard Fateman
Marc Battyani wrote:

> The title says all. I'm looking for Common Lisp implementations of minimax,
> Remez, etc. polynomial and rational approximations generation.
> For those who don't know what they are, here are some links:
>   http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MinimaxPolynomial.html
>   http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RemezAlgorithm.html
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marc

I wrote chebyshev approximation programs in Macsyma;
I'm sure they would run in Maxima (free, Common Lisp)
as well. It's just half a page.

  Mathworld points to a Fortran implementation of Remez, in
which case you could use the fortran-to-lisp translator
that has been used successfully (e.g. in Maxima)
for scientific library code.  You wouldn't need
Maxima, in that case. Just the translator output.
In fact, the same situation might hold if you find
a Fortran minimax program.

Main issue, it seems to me, is you have to agree
on how to present your problem to the computer.
The algorithms are not that hard.