From: ··················@gmx.net
Subject: novice: tutorial book recommendations/comparision?
Hello,

I will finish reading o. mayers book "programmieren in common lisp"
(2005) this weekend. I noticed that some examples are no valid common
lisp (nor ansi common lisp). Like
-> (defun adderq (x) (quote (lambda (y) (+ x y))))
-> (setq addq3 (adderq 3))
-> (funcall addq3 6)
in gcl it works, but CLisp says: *** - FUNCALL: argument (LAMBDA (Y) (+
X Y)) is not a function. To get a function in the current environment,
write (FUNCTION ...). To get a function in the global environment,
write (COERCE '... 'FUNCTION).
On #lisp I was told that I had to use
-> (defun adderq (x) (lambda (y) (+ x y)))
in clisp, this works fine.

So the next book I buy, should be compatible to ansi-common lisp.
I had in mind to read one of the following:

+ "Successful Lisp -  How To Understand and Use Common Lisp " (D. B.
Lamkins) 2001
+ "Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming" (P. Norvig)
+ "The ANSI Common Lisp Book" (P. Graham) 1995
- "Practical Common Lisp" (P. Seidel) 2005 <i am not compatible,
somehow>

What would you suggest for reading as a tuturial?

Thanks for replies,
Bernd

From: ·············@gmail.com
If working through problems helps you learn,  I would suggest
"Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming" (P. Norvig).

Unlike Lamkins or Seidel, Norvig provides exercises to test your
understanding of each chapter.  Unlike Graham, Norvig provides answers
to selected exercises.

I haven't tried all of the code in the book, and dont know if it is all
ANSI compatible.  Any such problems are likely to be fixed by:
http://www.norvig.com/paip-errata.html
From: Andras Simon
··················@gmx.net writes:

> Hello,
>
> I will finish reading o. mayers book "programmieren in common lisp"
> (2005) this weekend. I noticed that some examples are no valid common
> lisp (nor ansi common lisp). Like
> -> (defun adderq (x) (quote (lambda (y) (+ x y))))
> -> (setq addq3 (adderq 3))
> -> (funcall addq3 6)
> in gcl it works, but CLisp says: *** - FUNCALL: argument (LAMBDA (Y) (+
> X Y)) is not a function. To get a function in the current environment,
> write (FUNCTION ...). To get a function in the global environment,
> write (COERCE '... 'FUNCTION).
> On #lisp I was told that I had to use
> -> (defun adderq (x) (lambda (y) (+ x y)))
> in clisp, this works fine.

You probably have to unread that book first.

> So the next book I buy, should be compatible to ansi-common lisp.
> I had in mind to read one of the following:
>
> + "Successful Lisp -  How To Understand and Use Common Lisp " (D. B.
> Lamkins) 2001
> + "Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming" (P. Norvig)
> + "The ANSI Common Lisp Book" (P. Graham) 1995
> - "Practical Common Lisp" (P. Seidel) 2005 <i am not compatible,
> somehow>

How come? Aren't you ANSI-compliant?

Andras
From: ··················@gmx.net
Hello,

Andras Simon wrote:
> ··················@gmx.net writes:

> > I will finish reading o. mayers book "programmieren in common lisp"
> > [...]
> You probably have to unread that book first.

> > I had in mind to read one of the following:
> > - "Practical Common Lisp" (P. Seidel) 2005 <i am not compatible,
> > somehow>
> How come? Aren't you ANSI-compliant?

No, sorry. I meant, that somehow I am not compatible to P. Seidels
style, but I have to admit, that I only know the online-version of his
book. I will retry (harder).

Bernd
From: Peter Seibel
··················@gmx.net writes:

> Hello,
>
> Andras Simon wrote:
>> ··················@gmx.net writes:
>
>> > I will finish reading o. mayers book "programmieren in common lisp"
>> > [...]
>> You probably have to unread that book first.
>
>> > I had in mind to read one of the following:
>> > - "Practical Common Lisp" (P. Seidel) 2005 <i am not compatible,
>> > somehow>
>> How come? Aren't you ANSI-compliant?
>
> No, sorry. I meant, that somehow I am not compatible to P. Seidels
> style, but I have to admit, that I only know the online-version of his
> book. I will retry (harder).

On the grounds of the old theory that they can say whatever they want
about me as long as they spell my name right, I should point out that
my name is "Seibel".

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: Bernd Schmitt
Peter Seibel wrote:
> [...]

author: P. Seibel

> On the grounds of the old theory that they can say whatever they want
> about me as long as they spell my name right, I should point out that
> my name is "Seibel".
I apologize for that. Thank you for the different lispboxes ...

Sorry,
Bernd

--
https://gna.org/projects/mipisti - (microscope) picture stitching
          T_a_k_e__c_a_r_e__o_f__y_o_u_r__R_I_G_H_T_S.
From: Pascal Costanza
··················@gmx.net wrote:

> So the next book I buy, should be compatible to ansi-common lisp.
> I had in mind to read one of the following:
>
> + "Successful Lisp -  How To Understand and Use Common Lisp " (D. B.
> Lamkins) 2001
> + "Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming" (P. Norvig)
> + "The ANSI Common Lisp Book" (P. Graham) 1995
> - "Practical Common Lisp" (P. Seidel) 2005 <i am not compatible,
> somehow>
>
> What would you suggest for reading as a tuturial?

These are all good books, as far as I can tell (although Paul Graham is
prejudiced against object-oriented programming, including CLOS, and this
shows in his books).

Just give them all a try and pick the one that suits your style most.

Pascal

--
OOPSLA'05 tutorial on generic functions & the CLOS Metaobject Protocol
++++ see http://p-cos.net/oopsla05-tutorial.html for more details ++++