From: Robert Bruce Carleton
Subject: Public Domain Lisp Logos
Ok, I couldn't help myself.  I added one of the Public Domain Lisp
Logos by Conrad Barski to our guile/php web site:

 http://www.insidernewswire.com/about.html

My apologies in advance for the shameless cross promotion :)

For those who haven't seen the logos, they are at:

        http://www.lisperati.com/logo.html

Aloha,

                        --Bruce

From: Philippe Lorin
Subject: Re: Public Domain Lisp Logos
Robert Bruce Carleton wrote:
> Ok, I couldn't help myself.  I added one of the Public Domain Lisp
> Logos by Conrad Barski to our guile/php web site:
>
>  http://www.insidernewswire.com/about.html
>
> My apologies in advance for the shameless cross promotion :)

This is where a discussion of the most appropriate page for Lisp
promotion through the logo should start. I don't have any suggestions,
but the ALU home doesn't look like a good candidate to me. A page
advocating Lisp and giving a few very good links for newbies (helpful
and demonstrative; we need to hook the fish: Practical Common Lisp,
succes stories, cll...) should be the immediate target of the logo.
From: Cruise Director
Philippe Lorin wrote:
> Robert Bruce Carleton wrote:
> > Ok, I couldn't help myself.  I added one of the Public Domain Lisp
> > Logos by Conrad Barski to our guile/php web site:
> >
> >  http://www.insidernewswire.com/about.html
> >
> > My apologies in advance for the shameless cross promotion :)
>
> This is where a discussion of the most appropriate page for Lisp
> promotion through the logo should start. I don't have any suggestions,
> but the ALU home doesn't look like a good candidate to me. A page
> advocating Lisp and giving a few very good links for newbies (helpful
> and demonstrative; we need to hook the fish: Practical Common Lisp,
> succes stories, cll...) should be the immediate target of the logo.

The point of a public domain logo is for webmasters to make these
decisions for themselves as they see fit.  Promotion has to translate
into action, and generally speaking, that means whoever bothers to
create a webpage that promotes Lisp.  Although people could band
together and pool resources, there is no inherent need to centralize
anything.  Just do whatever you personally think is the best promotion,
and work with whatever people you can stand to.  People generally pay
attention to results and success, not talk and plans.  That is, if you
want to persuade people, your best bet is to get together with your
buddies, bang out something, and reveal a slick website.

You are blessed that you don't have any particular commercial entity
that owns "Lisp" as a trademark.  Lisp is way more industrially mature
than Python in that regard: you suffer no "Benevolent Dictator For
Life" problems.  BDFLs can, and do, bring marketing efforts to a
screeching halt in classic Dilbert form.  All things in Pythonland must
be carefully considered and carefully controlled to protect the
trademark.  There's no actual will in the PSF to officially bless, lend
suppport, or follow through on anything, so "stop energy" is applied to
any potential candidate.  http://www.userland.com/whatIsStopEnergy

Reforming the http://www.python.org website is another project that
died, BTW.  Ran afoul of the centralized authority problem once again.
Guido and I had it out when he publically trashed the work of the best
and most dedicated web designer who was working on it.  That particular
web designer displayed an impressive professionalism in the face of a
real jerk of a client.  I didn't; I'm no pro.

Since in Lisp-land you don't actually have people who can say No, my
recommendation is to follow Nike's lead and Just Do It [TM].

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
erstwhile Pythonista, erstwhile OCamlite
From: Philippe Lorin
Cruise Director wrote:
> The point of a public domain logo is for webmasters to make these
> decisions for themselves as they see fit.  Promotion has to translate
> into action, and generally speaking, that means whoever bothers to
> create a webpage that promotes Lisp.  Although people could band
> together and pool resources, there is no inherent need to centralize
> anything.  Just do whatever you personally think is the best promotion,
> and work with whatever people you can stand to.  People generally pay
> attention to results and success, not talk and plans.  That is, if you
> want to persuade people, your best bet is to get together with your
> buddies, bang out something, and reveal a slick website.

I don't argue with that. Do you mean discussing the best choice(s) here
would be counter-productive? Personnally, if I ever use the logo, I'll
welcome the advice of cll posters, and make my choice taking into
account both my preferences (forged with the help of that advice) and
the benefits of a common choice (which I'll admit are not big in the
case of the target website, though they are in the case of the logo).
From: Cruise Director
Philippe Lorin wrote:
> Cruise Director wrote:
> > The point of a public domain logo is for webmasters to make these
> > decisions for themselves as they see fit.  Promotion has to translate
> > into action, and generally speaking, that means whoever bothers to
> > create a webpage that promotes Lisp.  Although people could band
> > together and pool resources, there is no inherent need to centralize
> > anything.  Just do whatever you personally think is the best promotion,
> > and work with whatever people you can stand to.  People generally pay
> > attention to results and success, not talk and plans.  That is, if you
> > want to persuade people, your best bet is to get together with your
> > buddies, bang out something, and reveal a slick website.
>
> I don't argue with that. Do you mean discussing the best choice(s) here
> would be counter-productive?

I think the discussion is productive.  I'm only pointing out some
basics: actions count, and centralization doesn't have a priori value.
Now having said that, as per my other post today, I'm interested in
participating in an alien-based marketing effort driven by a website.
Maybe something like www.lispalien.com?

Cheers,
Brandon J. Van Every
    (cruise (director (of SeaFunc)
            '(Seattle Functional Programmers)))
From: TB
Cruise Director sade:
> Philippe Lorin wrote:
>
>>Cruise Director wrote:
>>

> I think the discussion is productive.  I'm only pointing out some
> basics: actions count, and centralization doesn't have a priori value.
> Now having said that, as per my other post today, I'm interested in
> participating in an alien-based marketing effort driven by a website.
> Maybe something like www.lispalien.com?

Why not something like www.lisp.info?
I found www.objc.info to be very nice and even more
important, somewhat objective when comparing the
language to others. I hate sites that only repeats
what other advocates proclaim to be the truth.

Seems though as someone already registered www.lisp.info.

--
TB
From: Robert Bruce Carleton
Philippe Lorin <············@gmail.com> writes:

> Robert Bruce Carleton wrote:
> > Ok, I couldn't help myself.  I added one of the Public Domain Lisp
> > Logos by Conrad Barski to our guile/php web site:
> >  http://www.insidernewswire.com/about.html
> > My apologies in advance for the shameless cross promotion :)
>
> This is where a discussion of the most appropriate page for Lisp
> promotion through the logo should start. I don't have any suggestions,
> but the ALU home doesn't look like a good candidate to me. A page
> advocating Lisp and giving a few very good links for newbies (helpful
> and demonstrative; we need to hook the fish: Practical Common Lisp,
> succes stories, cll...) should be the immediate target of the logo.

Philippe,

You have a good point.  I'm not sure the ALU is the best place to link
it to, but I hadn't come up with any better page yet.  Perhaps
something like the Lisp Programming Language article on wikipedia is
better.  Thanks for the comment.

Best,

                        --Bruce
From: Xah Lee
the lisp home page
http://www.lisp.org/alu/home
used to have a great logo
http://wiki.alu.org/include/lisp-small.jpg

but now their current, of a earth photo in parentheses, is rather
worthless.

 Xah
 ···@xahlee.org
∑ http://xahlee.org/
From: Carl Shapiro
"Xah Lee" <···@xahlee.org> writes:

> the lisp home page
> http://www.lisp.org/alu/home
> used to have a great logo
> http://wiki.alu.org/include/lisp-small.jpg
>
> but now their current, of a earth photo in parentheses, is rather
> worthless.

The official ALU logo is still the "twisty lisp" which is used on the
ALU stationary and on the ALU Wiki (among other places).  It will
probably be making a comeback on the static ALU web site in the near
future.