From: ······@gmail.com
Subject: Lisp Logo Madness!
There was a thread a couple of days ago on c.l.l where folks were
lamenting the absence of attractive, public domain Lisp logos. In a fit
of inspiration, I have built a logo set that I hope can fill this void.
There's several logos in different shapes and styles all built around a
central design.

http://www.lisperati.com/logo.html

Anyone is welcome to use them for whatever purpose they please- SVG
files are included as well. If you have any ideas for names for the
Lisp mascot featured in these designs, or suggestions on what a similar
Scheme mascot would look like, please post your suggestions to this
thread!

-Conrad Barski

From: ivant
Subject: Re: Lisp Logo Madness!
······@gmail.com wrote:
> There was a thread a couple of days ago on c.l.l where folks were
> lamenting the absence of attractive, public domain Lisp logos. In a fit
> of inspiration, I have built a logo set that I hope can fill this void.
> There's several logos in different shapes and styles all built around a
> central design.
>
> http://www.lisperati.com/logo.html
>
> Anyone is welcome to use them for whatever purpose they please- SVG
> files are included as well. If you have any ideas for names for the
> Lisp mascot featured in these designs, or suggestions on what a similar
> Scheme mascot would look like, please post your suggestions to this
> thread!
>
> -Conrad Barski

Well, the Scheme mascot should have one eye, fixed on the Right Way To
Do It(tm). :)
From: Thomas F. Burdick
······@gmail.com writes:

> There was a thread a couple of days ago on c.l.l where folks were
> lamenting the absence of attractive, public domain Lisp logos. In a fit
> of inspiration, I have built a logo set that I hope can fill this void.
> There's several logos in different shapes and styles all built around a
> central design.
>
> http://www.lisperati.com/logo.html

That's fantasic, I love it!

> Anyone is welcome to use them for whatever purpose they please- SVG
> files are included as well. If you have any ideas for names for the
> Lisp mascot featured in these designs, or suggestions on what a similar
> Scheme mascot would look like, please post your suggestions to this
> thread!

I quite like Yhtraccm as a name.

By the same token, Namssuseleets could be a nice name for a Scheme
variant, who I'd imagine has a single eye and a tail.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | Free Mumia Abu-Jamal! |
From: ······@gmail.com
Yhtraccm? That does have a nice ring to it, I must say...

-Conrad
From: ivant
Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
> By the same token, Namssuseleets could be a nice name for a Scheme
> variant, who I'd imagine has a single eye and a tail.

Hmm, wouldn't the tail get stripped away by the TCO.
From: Surendra Singhi
···@conquest.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick) writes:

> I quite like Yhtraccm as a name.

How do you pronounce it? I guess, too many consonants.

--
Surendra Singhi
http://www.public.asu.edu/~sksinghi/index.html

,----
`----
From: Thomas F. Burdick
Surendra Singhi <·········@netscape.net> writes:

> ···@conquest.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick) writes:
>
> > I quite like Yhtraccm as a name.
> >
> How do you pronounce it? I guess, too many consonants.

Not sure how to pronounce it, but one algorithm could be to spell it
backwards, pronounce that, and then reverse the sounds.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | Free Mumia Abu-Jamal! |
From: Pascal Bourguignon
···@conquest.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick) writes:
> I quite like Yhtraccm as a name.
>
> By the same token, Namssuseleets could be a nice name for a Scheme
> variant, who I'd imagine has a single eye and a tail.

λambdy  or yambdaλ  (lambdy or yambdal); écrit: λy

--
"Klingon function calls do not have "parameters" -- they have
"arguments" and they ALWAYS WIN THEM."
From: justinhj
Love those logo's, although it doesn't say much about my current state
of alertness that I got three posts in before realising that you hadn't
implemented the old graphics learning language "Logo".

Justin
From: Jeff M.
I love it and am going to start using it. Beautiful! Thanks.

Jeff M.
From: Geoffrey Summerhayes
<······@gmail.com> wrote in message
····························@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> There was a thread a couple of days ago on c.l.l where folks were
> lamenting the absence of attractive, public domain Lisp logos. In a fit
> of inspiration, I have built a logo set that I hope can fill this void.
> There's several logos in different shapes and styles all built around a
> central design.
>
> http://www.lisperati.com/logo.html
>
> Anyone is welcome to use them for whatever purpose they please- SVG
> files are included as well. If you have any ideas for names for the
> Lisp mascot featured in these designs, or suggestions on what a similar
> Scheme mascot would look like, please post your suggestions to this
> thread!

Cool! Reminds me of Tom Wham and his 'Awful Green Things from Outer Space'

--
Geoff
From: Cruise Director
······@gmail.com wrote:

> http://www.lisperati.com/logo.html

Heh!  This is excellent Far Side "geek" marketing.  If your primary
goal is to convert techies using other languages to Lisp, the logo is
nothing short of genius.

It is lousy "suit" marketing, however.  No Fortune 500 company will
take this logo seriously.

I don't know what value the logo will have in an education / academic
market.  Probably some will think it's cool and some will think it's
childish.  Much like who posts Far Side comics on the the door to their
office and who doesn't.

Back in Python days, the 3 markets we identified as important were:
techie, suit, academic.  These are 3 different vectors of language
adoption.  Techies spread languages to other techies.  Managers can
force the adoption of languages in their companies.  Academics teach
the next generation of students, who then infiltrate the workplace.

We tried to come up with a "suit-friendly" campaign because Python
already had tons of techie support.  This rubbed the Python techies the
wrong way, however, and most especially Guido Van Rossum.  Guido
fundamentally doesn't understand marketing or graphic design and that's
why the http://www.python.org website is still a hideous eyesore today.
 Python really isn't ready for its greatness yet.  It doesn't know how
to make the transition from techie stronghold to business stronghold,
i.e. how to really take on Java.

Returning to Lisp.  I would say, since these are good logos and they're
done, try to build a techie marketing campaign around them.  Lisp does
need techie converts.  Fish the Python and Ruby waters.  Java
programmers probably aren't smart enough or experimental enough to try
something different.

BTW, my favorite logo is "Warning: may contain trace amounts of Lisp."
The entire logo series is needed to make sense of the joke however, so
I'm not suggesting that you throw the other logos away.

I think a Scheme alien should be small, spherical, and have 1 large
eyeball looking suspiciously about.  It shouldn't have arms, legs, or
any appendages.  For movement, it might squash-compress or it might
just simply roll.  I kind of like the idea of it rolling, with the
pupil turning about as it does so.

Incidentally, these alien characters would be an excellent basis for 3D
demos.    I'm afraid I can't just conjure that up, as I'm not that
brilliant and the infrastructure for such things in the Lisp / Scheme
universe is pretty horrid, but maybe down the road it's possible.
Certainly it's all applicable to my primary language conversion
interest, the game industry.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
15 minute famous signature gatherer
http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=23827
From: Jerry Boetje
From: Cruise Director
Jerry Boetje wrote:
> Interesting that no one commented on the complete lack of parentheses.
> I would have thought that would be an obvious feature....

It did cross my mind, but I failed to comment upon it, possibly due to
the hour and the length of the comments I did make.  I'm not convinced
that parentheses are a good idea.  A logo is an act of marketing, not
one of engineering description.  The important thing is to get the
target audience jazzed up and excited about Lisp.  Aliens, as we know,
are way cool.  But given that parentheses usually turn newbies off, I
don't see the sense of highlighting them.  Honestly, the main reason my
.sig reads as it does is because I'm usually hanging out in a
FP-literate crowd.  Not entirely sure I'd call attention to myself this
way if I were in a biz crowd.

Since I've mostly showered with praise so far, I will offer one
criticism.  In the "Built with LISP" logo, the font used for the big
bold word "LISP" is heavy, cold, ungraceful, and clumsy.  These are not
good connotations for the language.  I'm not advocating a foofy font,
but I think a better font can be chosen than this.  Actually, for font
continuity, it might be better to use the same font as for the other
logos.  That is, the rounded tubular lettering style on the "Lisp"
pennant, as it is pleasant enough.  Alternately, the font could be more
like a nuclear reactor warning.  Something more dynamic that doesn't
just sit there looking dull.

Cheers,
Brandon J. Van Every
    (cruise (director (of SeaFunc)
            '(Seattle Functional Programmers)))
From: lin8080
Cruise Director schrieb:

> ...  I'm not advocating a foofy font,
> but I think a better font can be chosen than this.  Actually, for font
> continuity, it might be better to use the same font as for the other
> logos.  That is, the rounded tubular lettering style on the "Lisp"
> pennant, as it is pleasant enough.  Alternately, the font could be more
> like a nuclear reactor warning.  Something more dynamic that doesn't
> just sit there looking dull.

Aha.
So we need a lispy font also, right?

stefan
From: ······@gmail.com
I think you're quite right that my logos are a kiss of death for
corporate lisp interests- But I think the largest concern with lisp
currently is the low adoption among techies, despite the obvious
benefits- Once we have a 20% penetration among software developers we
can start worrying more about other things :)

-Conrad
From: Cruise Director
······@gmail.com wrote:
> I think you're quite right that my logos are a kiss of death for
> corporate lisp interests- But I think the largest concern with lisp
> currently is the low adoption among techies, despite the obvious
> benefits- Once we have a 20% penetration among software developers we
> can start worrying more about other things :)

I fully agree.

Python is at a quite different stage of evolution than Lisp.  It is
simultaneously more advanced in market penetration, and less advanced
in business model maturity, i.e. it's run by a Benevolent Dictator For
Life.  Probably the language can't become Java-class corporate until it
is freed from Guido's clutches.  It needs an ISO standard.

Once I'd had enough of the Python marketing horseshit, I tried the same
bag of tricks in the OCaml community.  That may have been
inappropriate.  OCaml's technical community is quite healthy, but it
too is probably in the "needs more techies" stage.  I tried to apply
the Python businessthink and quickly ran into a brick wall with people.
 Fortunately, I *quickly* ran into a brick wall, because I already knew
the biz marketing drill and what would be needed out of people if any
genuine progress was to be made.  We started a mailing list and set a
"drop-dead" date of 1 month for discussion.  We figured if we couldn't
come to agreement on what to do in that time, then there was no
political will.   Well, we figured out we were toast within 2 weeks.

OCaml also has a dictator problem.  It's a research language, not a
product trying to be more commercial.  The leadership is far less
controlling than Guido, but one does run into instances where the
academic research priorities are at odds with commercial adoption
priorities.  In which case, academic research wins.

Again consider yourself so lucky to have no one in charge.

BTW, there's at least one corporate interest where your logos are
actually appropriate: the game industry.  The film / animation guys
might not have a big problem with them either.  They're hardly ideal
for that market, but they may not be a a kiss of death.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
Cruise Director wrote:
> I think a Scheme alien should be small, spherical, and have 1 large
> eyeball looking suspiciously about.  It shouldn't have arms, legs, or
> any appendages.  For movement, it might squash-compress or it might
> just simply roll.  I kind of like the idea of it rolling, with the
> pupil turning about as it does so.

It's called roll-in-downward-direction, commonly known as roll/dd.

--
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
From: Cruise Director
Ulrich Hobelmann wrote:
> Cruise Director wrote:
> > I think a Scheme alien should be small, spherical, and have 1 large
> > eyeball looking suspiciously about.  It shouldn't have arms, legs, or
> > any appendages.  For movement, it might squash-compress or it might
> > just simply roll.  I kind of like the idea of it rolling, with the
> > pupil turning about as it does so.
>
> It's called roll-in-downward-direction, commonly known as roll/dd.

How does a Scheme alien hold a Scheme pennant?  I guess it doesn't.
Rather, the pennant has a spherical harness.  So it sorta appears to
stick up out of the alien, making it look a lot like a buoy.
Rolling-with-pennant involves both turning the eye and the pennant.  I
suppose the eye and pennant do not have to be axially aligned.  Rather,
a conical wobble is possible, so long as neither eye or pennant touches
ground.  This fact could be used to steer gracefully.

Alternately, perhaps the alien's skin is a stretchy orifice.  Sticking
a pennant straight into the alien constitutes "holding" it.  This would
further imply that Scheme aliens eat with chopsticks, and indeed, that
they can eat at almost any angle!  Probably not through the eyeball
though.

BTW many of the motion concepts have been worked out in a related
species, the Gish.  http://www.chroniclogic.com/gish.htm  I think,
however, Scheme aliens would be more into rolling and less into
squash-compress.  Question: can a Scheme alien generate an "outie" or
pseudopod?  Or does this require a SRFI?

Cheers,
Brandon
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
Cruise Director wrote:
> How does a Scheme alien hold a Scheme pennant?  I guess it doesn't.
> Rather, the pennant has a spherical harness.  So it sorta appears to
> stick up out of the alien, making it look a lot like a buoy.

Hm, it doesn't have to hold anything.  A lambda could be painted on its
back (assuming the eye is in front).

Lisp symbols hold (several) values, Scheme ones only have values.

--
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
From: Cruise Director
Ulrich Hobelmann wrote:
> Cruise Director wrote:
> > How does a Scheme alien hold a Scheme pennant?  I guess it doesn't.
> > Rather, the pennant has a spherical harness.  So it sorta appears to
> > stick up out of the alien, making it look a lot like a buoy.
>
> Hm, it doesn't have to hold anything.

Well, true in alienland.  Not so true in logoland, where parallelism
with the Lisp logo is needed.

> A lambda could be painted on its
> back (assuming the eye is in front).

But then you wouldn't often see it.  Can Scheme aliens blink?  If so,
it could be painted on its eyelid.  You know that a herd of Scheme
aliens are asleep when you see a field of spheres with lambdas on them.

For some reason the idea of lambda body decor recalls to my mind a Star
Trek TOS episode.  The one with the racist black-and-white aliens.  "I
am white on the right side."  I am wondering if different cultures of
Scheme aliens would have different tattoos.  Seems perfectly
reasonable, as every Scheme implementation is different.

On that note, do Lisp aliens have national dress?

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
From: Arthur Lemmens
Conrad Barski wrote:

> There's several logos in different shapes and styles all built around a
> central design.
>
> http://www.lisperati.com/logo.html

Beautiful!  Lots better than those boring CAR/CDR logos.

Thanks a lot.  This compensates for an awful lot of prefix vs. infix
and static vs. dynamic typing discussions ;-)
From: John Thingstad
On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 15:07:17 +0200, <······@gmail.com> wrote:

> There was a thread a couple of days ago on c.l.l where folks were
> lamenting the absence of attractive, public domain Lisp logos. In a fit
> of inspiration, I have built a logo set that I hope can fill this void.
> There's several logos in different shapes and styles all built around a
> central design.
>
> http://www.lisperati.com/logo.html
>
> Anyone is welcome to use them for whatever purpose they please- SVG
> files are included as well. If you have any ideas for names for the
> Lisp mascot featured in these designs, or suggestions on what a similar
> Scheme mascot would look like, please post your suggestions to this
> thread!
>
> -Conrad Barski

Lol.. I like the "Warning! May contain strain amounts of Lisp" logo..
All seem like they want to portary Lisp as the odd one out language though.
What I would like is a 'Power logo'. like "Powered by Lisp"
  -- and a rocket engine or something

From: ······@gmail.com
> All seem like they want to portary Lisp as the odd one out language though.

Isn't it the odd one out, though? It is, after all, the only language
to use the abstract syntax tree of the compiler/interpreter as its
*actual* syntax, which is very odd in my book. My goal was to
accentuate the uniqueness of lisp as an asset instead of a liability-
Many programmers that never learned Lisp I believe tend to think "I
already know Java, C, and Pascal- Lisp probably is just like those
languages with a confusing syntax". I think this is the main obstacle
to getting Lisp more widely adopted, IMHO.

-Conrad
From: ···············@yahoo.com
> All seem like they want to portary Lisp as the odd one out language though.

I'd have to agree.  I'd rather send the message that Lisp is great, not
alien.
From: Philippe Lorin
···············@yahoo.com wrote:
>>All seem like they want to portary Lisp as the odd one out language though.
>

> I'd have to agree.  I'd rather send the message that Lisp is great, not
> alien.

Come on, Lisp *is* alien, at least for people who aren't used to it
(Sounds a bit tautological? I know ^^ ). I came to Lisp *because* it is
different; and its power stems from that very difference. The message
that Lisp is great is conveyed by the *application* sporting the logo,
not the logo itself. Still, I'd agree that stating bluntly "alien
technology" is a bit too much -- I think the alien's picture connects to
the idea well enough on its own.

Part of the purpose of that kind of logo is to strike the viewer. Just
another rocket "powered by" logo would only be noticed by people looking
for it, and would not be remembered. A logo is not a rational argument
-- of course I'll agree it should reflect what is true about Lisp, but
it should also take into account what the viewer already thinks of it.
The message might be: "You think Lisp is alien, we can't argue with
that, just see what it can do: it did this".

I think the "Warning: Built using LISP" one is great. I don't like the
others much. It's important we choose just *one* of them, if we're going
to use it (so that people seeing the logos popping up everywhere notice
they're popping up everywhere; this is very important, I hope it's
obvious); my vote goes to that one because:

- it's not misleading/confusing (as are "...may contain trace amounts of
Lisp" and "made with secret alien technology" -- there's nothing great
to secrecy; Lisp is neither obscure nor secret; "trace" amounts of Lisp
are not enough to warrant a logo)
- it's pretty, nice, clear, small; the text is short, the font expresses
boldness (trying Lisp is a bold move)
- the alien head conveys alienness (admittance of the viewer's
prejudices), power and satisfaction (with the smile), and focus on
thought and openness (with the bunch of eyes)
- red and green strike as a non-blue-and-white logo ;)
- it's friendly, in a bizarre way (conjuring the image of Lisp in
non-Lispers' minds)
- with a well-defined shape, it is more appropriate as a stamp or seal
(this is not a logo for a company)
- it looks professional, sleek
- it challenges the viewer, as in: "Warning; LISP"; it's hazardous, but
those who master the beast make stuff like this application

What I dislike about the other logos:
- the basic logo is too verbose, has an unstable shape and a color that
a lot of people hate (I for one love it, but hey)
- "...may contain trace amounts of Lisp" is too focused on being funny,
and too long to read
- the flag in the circle is timid
- the alien seen entirely doesn't feel powerful (I'd add it feels more
like a non-professional drawing) -- we can still use it as a mascot for
toys and geeky stuff if Lispers love it
- I'd expect unsquare shapes to disrupt the eye flow from the page
they're on, and I would be less willing to put them on my pages (if I
ever complete a program in Lisp)

I find it especially nice that the author dared to keep away the
parentheses (or cons cells, or lambdas) entirely. These are great for
the Lisp lover, but meaningless and boring for other people.
From: vishnuvyas
> What I would like is a 'Power logo'. like "Powered by Lisp"
>   -- and a rocket engine or something
 How about using yoda there? 'Powered by Lisp, I am' (see, he even
talks in prefix..)

I should get over my obsession with star wars.

cheers
Vishnu Vyas.
From: Robert Uhl
"vishnuvyas" <··········@gmail.com> writes:

> I should get over my obsession with star wars.

Watch the prequels--that should do it...

For decades, there were two sorts of men: Star Wars men & Star Trek men.
Then Lucas created the prequels, and suddenly Star Wars fans had to deal
with the fact that the Master had obviously lost his effin' mind.  It's
crying shame, really.

And I'd say: so what?  I mean, Picasso might paint someone square and
blue, but if you held a gun to the bastard's head he could do proper
art.                                               --Terry Pratchett
From: Rainer Joswig
Am 28.10.2005 15:07 Uhr schrieb ·······@gmail.com" unter <······@gmail.com>
in ·······················@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> There was a thread a couple of days ago on c.l.l where folks were
> lamenting the absence of attractive, public domain Lisp logos. In a fit
> of inspiration, I have built a logo set that I hope can fill this void.
> There's several logos in different shapes and styles all built around a
> central design.
>
> http://www.lisperati.com/logo.html
>
> Anyone is welcome to use them for whatever purpose they please- SVG
> files are included as well. If you have any ideas for names for the
> Lisp mascot featured in these designs, or suggestions on what a similar
> Scheme mascot would look like, please post your suggestions to this
> thread!
>
> -Conrad Barski

:-)
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
······@gmail.com wrote:
> There was a thread a couple of days ago on c.l.l where folks were
> lamenting the absence of attractive, public domain Lisp logos. In a fit
> of inspiration, I have built a logo set that I hope can fill this void.
> There's several logos in different shapes and styles all built around a
> central design.
>
> http://www.lisperati.com/logo.html

ROFL.

That's just f***ing brilliant!

--
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
From: TIT
······@gmail.com sade:
> There was a thread a couple of days ago on c.l.l where folks were
> lamenting the absence of attractive, public domain Lisp logos. In a fit
> of inspiration, I have built a logo set that I hope can fill this void.
> There's several logos in different shapes and styles all built around a
> central design.
>
> http://www.lisperati.com/logo.html
>
> Anyone is welcome to use them for whatever purpose they please- SVG
> files are included as well. If you have any ideas for names for the
> Lisp mascot featured in these designs, or suggestions on what a similar
> Scheme mascot would look like, please post your suggestions to this
> thread!
>
> -Conrad Barski

It's time to write a complete lisp program now so I actually
can use one of those superb logos =) Just love them.

TIT
From: Alan Crowe
······@gmail.com writes:
> I have built a logo set that I hope can fill this void.
> There's several logos in different shapes and styles all built around a
> central design.
>
> http://www.lisperati.com/logo.html

The creature is very cute, but I think he should have a
fifth leg, to match having five eyes.

Alan Crowe
small rock
93 million miles out
From: drewc
Alan Crowe wrote:
> ······@gmail.com writes:
>
>>I have built a logo set that I hope can fill this void.
>>There's several logos in different shapes and styles all built around a
>>central design.
>>
>>http://www.lisperati.com/logo.html
>

> The creature is very cute, but I think he should have a
> fifth leg, to match having five eyes.
>
> Alan Crowe
> small rock
> 93 million miles out

This is a popular newbie request. In Common Life is is trivial add such
a leg, and if you look around it has been done before. While i might
agree that it is a useful feature, it's not worth revising the standard
simply because the legs and eyes don't match.

You must be a troll.

;)

drewc
--
Drew Crampsie
drewc at tech dot coop
From: Pascal Costanza
drewc wrote:
> Alan Crowe wrote:
>
>> ······@gmail.com writes:
>>
>>> I have built a logo set that I hope can fill this void.
>>> There's several logos in different shapes and styles all built around a
>>> central design.
>>>
>>> http://www.lisperati.com/logo.html
>>
>> The creature is very cute, but I think he should have a
>> fifth leg, to match having five eyes.
>>
>> Alan Crowe
>> small rock
>> 93 million miles out
>
> This is a popular newbie request. In Common Life is is trivial add such
> a leg, and if you look around it has been done before. While i might
> agree that it is a useful feature, it's not worth revising the standard
> simply because the legs and eyes don't match.

It's actually an advantage that the numbers of eyes and legs don't match
because this allows you to infer from just partial information what you
are dealing with. So, say, you see the number 4 mentioned in your
program source, you will immediately realize that this is about the
legs. Vice versa, if you see the number 5, you know that this is about
the eyes.

Schemers think that it is an advantage that their language has exactly
one leg and exactly one eye, and they claim that a hygienic organ system
can help you disambiguate the possible confusions arising from this. So
when you see a 1 mentioned, the organ system can infer from the lexical
scope whether it is a leg or an eye. However, I think this just appeals
to some weird mathematical aesthetics. The 4-legs-5-eyes system has been
around for nearly half a decade now, and noone in the Lisp community
really has ever had any problems with that.

> You must be a troll.

Don't be so harsh. There is a whole chapter in Peter Seibel's "Practical
Common Life" in which the 4-legs-5-eyes system is explained, so it seems
to be a real problem for newbies - at least for those coming from other
languages.

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net
Closer to MAP & ContigL:
From: Bernd Schmitt
From: Robert Uhl
Alan Crowe <····@cawtech.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> The creature is very cute, but I think he should have a fifth leg, to
> match having five eyes.

Five is such an ugly an unuseful number (its only virtue being the
number of phalanges per hand); better to have six eyes and three, four
or six legs...

Take responsibility for your own actions.  You made decisions, and you
live by 'em.  People always want to blame somebody or something.  It's
always somebody else's fault.  But it's your own damned fault.
                                                 --Mojo Nixon
From: Cruise Director
Robert Uhl wrote:
> Alan Crowe <····@cawtech.freeserve.co.uk> writes:
> >
> > The creature is very cute, but I think he should have a fifth leg, to
> > match having five eyes.
>
> Five is such an ugly an unuseful number (its only virtue being the
> number of phalanges per hand); better to have six eyes and three, four
> or six legs...

Lisp aliens can have arbitrary numbers of legs or eyeballs, although
typically they have a plurality of 'em.  The particular alien on the
logo is only 1 individual example.  If you were to show the Lisp alien
planet, it would look a lot more like the Sea Of Monsters from the
Yellow Submarine.  Some would have *many* legs and *many* eyeballs.
We'd also expect giant aliens and tiny aliens.

Scheme aliens, in contrast, have only that one-size-fits-all spherical
form.

Now I am wondering about Lisp vs. Scheme alien architecture.  What
kinds of dwellings do they live in?  Lotsa paired buildings in big cons
trees?  Hm, this is starting to sound like a game idea.

Cheers,
Brandon
From: Christian Lynbech
Subject: Lispnik logo (was Re: Lisp Logo Madness!)
[Apologies if this appears twice; first post seems to have failed.]

In order to join the logo fun, I would like to propose a logo for the
lispnik movement. I mean, how can one expect to take over the world
without something to stamp on tshirts and coffeemugs.

The proposed logo is simply a lambda surrounded by parenthesises, as
depicted at <http://localhost/lispnik.pdf> or <http://localhost/lispnik.jpg>.

Admittedly, though, not quite as cute or cool as the lisp alien.

Can be rendered in ASCII only as:

        (lambda)

Christian Lynbech       | christian ··@ defun #\. dk
                                        - ·······@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)
From: Christian Lynbech
Subject: Re: Lispnik logo
Darn, the urls was supposed to be

        <http://defun.dk/lispnik.pdf>

and

        <http://defun.dk/lispnik.jpg>

From: Cruise Director
Christian Lynbech wrote:
> Darn, the urls was supposed to be
>
>         <http://defun.dk/lispnik.pdf>
>
> and
>
>         <http://defun.dk/lispnik.jpg>

Ok, apology, not going to pull any punches here.  This is graphically
well executed, but... dull, has been done to death, similar things
exist for other FP languages (like the Haskell logo,
http://www.haskell.org/), and most importantly it only preaches to the
choir.  People who know what the lambda calculus is will get it.
People who don't, and that's nearly everyone you actually want to
market to, will say WTF is that squiggle?

A proper logo effort needs to start with an analysis of intended target
audience.  What connotations / associations are beneficial for reaching
that audience?  Once upon a time the marketing-python crowd decided
that there were 3 target markets that mattered: techie, suit, academic.
 They all have different needs.  The Haskell logo, for instance, is not
too badly aimed at an academic crowd.  That said, it's hardly an
exhibit of compelling graphic design and someone could clearly do
better if they wanted to.  I doubt Haskell will ever make it to a
"serious marketing" stage of existence, so the point is moot.

Oddly enough, your bland logo might be a point of departure for some
kind of "heavy corporate" logo, like for a bank or major telecom or
some such.  Compare the AT&T Death Star logo.  Logos don't actually
have to be clever to be commercially successful.  Look at Oracle's
logo, or Microsoft's, or IBM's.  None are more than font treatments.

But we're techies and we don't like bland corporate logos so please
don't offer us one.  Pretty please.  When we were trying to design a
Python logo, we tried very hard to walk the line between pleasing both
techies and suits.  It was difficult, and honestly, we lost.  The logo
was viable, but Guido didn't like it and shot it down before it could
ever get any support.  The lack of Python Software Foundation support -
they just wouldn't commit to a damn thing no matter what quarter it
came from - pretty much killed any further logo development efforts.
Guido, that damn fool, actually thinks the current
http://www.python.org logo is good.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
From: Pascal Costanza
Christian Lynbech wrote:
> Darn, the urls was supposed to be
>
>         <http://defun.dk/lispnik.pdf>
>
> and
>
>         <http://defun.dk/lispnik.jpg>

Hm, I don't like the idea of pushing the lambda logo in the foreground.
lambda is just one piece of the puzzle, there is so much more to Common
Lisp. At least, there are parentheses... ;)

Having said that: I am not good at graphics, but couldn't the lambda
symbol be turned into a Superman-style logo - you know, the weird
diamond-shaped red and yellow emblem with an S inside?

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net
Closer to MOP & ContextL:
From: Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk
Christian Lynbech <·········@defun.dk> writes:

> Darn, the urls was supposed to be
>
>         <http://defun.dk/lispnik.pdf>
>
> and
>
>         <http://defun.dk/lispnik.jpg>

This is for Scheme. Common Lisp should have #' in front of it.

--
   __("<         Marcin Kowalczyk
   \__/       ······@knm.org.pl
From: Timofei Shatrov
On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 14:55:58 +0200, Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk
<······@knm.org.pl> tried to confuse everyone with this message:

>Christian Lynbech <·········@defun.dk> writes:
>
>> Darn, the urls was supposed to be
>>
>>         <http://defun.dk/lispnik.pdf>
>>
>> and
>>
>>         <http://defun.dk/lispnik.jpg>
>
>This is for Scheme. Common Lisp should have #' in front of it.

Not necessarily.

--
|a\o/r|,-------------.,---------- Timofei Shatrov aka Grue ------------.
| m"a ||FC AMKAR PERM|| mail: grue at mail.ru  http://grue3.tripod.com |
|  k  ||  PWNZ J00   || Kingdom of Loathing: Grue3 lvl 18 Seal Clubber |
`-----'`-------------'`-------------------------------------------[4*72]
From: ·········@gmail.com
Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:
> Christian Lynbech <·········@defun.dk> writes:
>
> > Darn, the urls was supposed to be
> >
> >         <http://defun.dk/lispnik.pdf>
> >
> > and
> >
> >         <http://defun.dk/lispnik.jpg>
>
> This is for Scheme. Common Lisp should have #' in front of it.

For those who didn't get the joke:
http://www.schemers.org/logo-dsandler.gif
From: Stefan Scholl
On 2005-10-29 14:29:34, Christian Lynbech wrote:

>         <http://defun.dk/lispnik.jpg>

Cool. Some kind of Half-Life logo in ASCII art. :-)
From: Giorgos Keramidas
Christian Lynbech <·········@defun.dk> writes:
> Darn, the urls was supposed to be
>
>         <http://defun.dk/lispnik.pdf>
>
> and
>
>         <http://defun.dk/lispnik.jpg>

Very cool in a ... "Spartan"[1] way :)

[1] http://www.niximperial.com/nixp08e.html
From: Bernd Schmitt
Subject: Re: Lispnik logo (was Re: Lisp Logo Madness!)
From: David Steuber
Christian Lynbech <·········@defun.dk> writes:

> In order to join the logo fun, I would like to propose a logo for the
> lispnik movement. I mean, how can one expect to take over the world
> without something to stamp on tshirts and coffeemugs.

How about the alien wearing a "Save-Lisp-And-Die" T-shirt?

--
http://www.david-steuber.com/
The UnBlog: An island of conformity in a sea of quirks.
From: M Jared Finder
David Steuber wrote:
> Christian Lynbech <·········@defun.dk> writes:
>
>>In order to join the logo fun, I would like to propose a logo for the
>>lispnik movement. I mean, how can one expect to take over the world
>>without something to stamp on tshirts and coffeemugs.
>
> How about the alien wearing a "Save-Lisp-And-Die" T-shirt?

Nah, that's way too SBCL specific.  How about "(constantly 'lisp)"?
Perfectly valid CL code that uses first class closures and symbols.

And it also makes sense in English, if you care about that.  ;)

    -- MJF
From: Pascal Bourguignon
M Jared Finder <·····@hpalace.com> writes:

> David Steuber wrote:
>> Christian Lynbech <·········@defun.dk> writes:
>>
>>>In order to join the logo fun, I would like to propose a logo for the
>>>lispnik movement. I mean, how can one expect to take over the world
>>>without something to stamp on tshirts and coffeemugs.
>> How about the alien wearing a "Save-Lisp-And-Die" T-shirt?
>
> Nah, that's way too SBCL specific.

Not exactly.  The specific function name is SBCL specific, for it's
not in COMMON-LISP, but the concept is widely implemented in Lisp
environments.  In clisp, it's EXT:SAVEINITMEM (and EXT:QUIT if you
want to die at thereafter); in other implementations something similar.

> How about "(constantly 'lisp)"?
> Perfectly valid CL code that uses first class closures and symbols.
>
> And it also makes sense in English, if you care about that.  ;)

neither do we. -- Georges W. Bush
From: Raffael Cavallaro
On 2005-10-30 10:49:02 -0500, M Jared Finder <·····@hpalace.com> said:

> How about "(constantly 'lisp)"? Perfectly valid CL code that uses first
> class closures and symbols.
>
> And it also makes sense in English, if you care about that.  ;)

I like this one for the reasons you describe.

regards
From: rydis (Martin Rydstr|m) @CD.Chalmers.SE
M Jared Finder <·····@hpalace.com> writes:
> How about "(constantly 'lisp)"?  Perfectly valid CL code that uses
> first class closures and symbols.

> And it also makes sense in English, if you care about that.  ;)

"(map-into *life* (constantly 'lisp))", even. :)

'mr

--
[Emacs] is written in Lisp, which is the only computer language that is
beautiful.  -- Neal Stephenson, _In the Beginning was the Command Line_
From: ··················@gmx.net
Martin Rydstr|m Martin Rydstr|m wrote:

> [Emacs] is written in Lisp, which is the only computer language that is
> beautiful.  -- Neal Stephenson, _In the Beginning was the Command Line_
sorry but this is not true. it is written in c (maybe most of the
"code" is elisp after all).
From: Jens Axel Søgaard
··················@gmx.net wrote:
> Martin Rydstr|m Martin Rydstr|m wrote:
>

>>[Emacs] is written in Lisp, which is the only computer language that is
>>beautiful.  -- Neal Stephenson, _In the Beginning was the Command Line_
>
> sorry but this is not true. it is written in c (maybe most of the
> "code" is elisp after all).

What year are we talking about here?

--
Jens Axel S�gaard
From: Thomas F. Burdick
Ingvar <······@hexapodia.net> writes:

> ··················@gmx.net writes:
>
> > Martin Rydstr|m Martin Rydstr|m wrote:
> >
> > > [Emacs] is written in Lisp, which is the only computer language that is
> > > beautiful.  -- Neal Stephenson, _In the Beginning was the Command Line_
> > sorry but this is not true. it is written in c (maybe most of the
> > "code" is elisp after all).
>
> I knew there was a reason I kept an emacs source tree around... :)

And I knew there was a reason I kept a Hemlock source tree around :-)

> ······@gruk$ find emacs-21.2 -type f -name '*.[ch]' -print | xargs wc | grep total
>   358710  1363546 10327874 total
> ······@gruk$ find emacs-21.2 -type f -name '*.el' -print | xargs wc | grep total
>   648280  2730523 23780128 total

Interesting, doing the same on cmucl-18c/src/hemlock, I get:
0
and
18917   82568  721160 total

> So there's about 1.8 lines of lisp for each line of C. There's about 2.3
> bytes of lisp per byte of C.
>
> So I'd claim it's implemented in both, with the C part being partly
> "elisp interpreter" and partly being "optimization".

Given that I see 0 lines of C for each line of Lisp, I'd claim that it
depends on the Emacs :-)

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | Free Mumia Abu-Jamal! |
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
David Steuber wrote:
> How about the alien wearing a "Save-Lisp-And-Die" T-shirt?

I'd prefer "Give us Lisp or give us Death".
OTOH, we should be careful what we ask for ;)

--
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
From: Tayssir John Gabbour
Ulrich Hobelmann wrote:
> David Steuber wrote:
> > How about the alien wearing a "Save-Lisp-And-Die" T-shirt?
>
> I'd prefer "Give us Lisp or give us Death".
> OTOH, we should be careful what we ask for ;)

In case you haven't seen the Save Lisp and Die logo:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=save%20lisp%20and%20die&btnG=Google+Search&sa=N&tab=wi

I post that because there's this terribly cute logo in the middle right
now, that has nothing to do with it...

Tayssir
From: Cruise Director
Tayssir John Gabbour wrote:
> > David Steuber wrote:
> > > How about the alien wearing a "Save-Lisp-And-Die" T-shirt?

Rather complicated, that.  Might work in a video clip or a game, but it
isn't going to work in a logo.

> In case you haven't seen the Save Lisp and Die logo:
> http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=save%20lisp%20and%20die&btnG=Google+Search&sa=N&tab=wi

I don't get it.  Why would anyone want to save Lisp *and* die?  "Save
Lisp or Die" makes sense; unfortunately, it also sounds like
desperation.  Not what I'd want to communicate about Lisp.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
From: Peter Herth
Cruise Director wrote:

>>In case you haven't seen the Save Lisp and Die logo:
>>http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=save%20lisp%20and%20die&btnG=Google+Search&sa=N&tab=wi
>

> I don't get it.  Why would anyone want to save Lisp *and* die?  "Save
> Lisp or Die" makes sense; unfortunately, it also sounds like
> desperation.  Not what I'd want to communicate about Lisp.

That is, what is so funny about insider jokes, they don't make sense for
outsiders :p.

Peter

--
Ltk, the easy lisp gui http://www.peter-herth.de/ltk/
From: Cruise Director
Peter Herth wrote:
> Cruise Director wrote:
>
> >>In case you haven't seen the Save Lisp and Die logo:
> >>http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=save%20lisp%20and%20die&btnG=Google+Search&sa=N&tab=wi
> >

> > I don't get it.  Why would anyone want to save Lisp *and* die?  "Save
> > Lisp or Die" makes sense; unfortunately, it also sounds like
> > desperation.  Not what I'd want to communicate about Lisp.
> >

> That is, what is so funny about insider jokes, they don't make sense for
> outsiders :p.

Well, I Googled for it.  So save-lisp-and-die is a command, and it
seems to be SBCL specific.  I couldn't tell you how idiomatic the usage
of save-lisp or save-lisp-and-die is, i.e. how many Lispers would care.
 Certainly, non-Lispers won't care.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
From: Pascal Costanza
Cruise Director wrote:

>>In case you haven't seen the Save Lisp and Die logo:
>>http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=save%20lisp%20and%20die&btnG=Google+Search&sa=N&tab=wi
>
> I don't get it.  Why would anyone want to save Lisp *and* die?

You should learn programming in Lisp - then you would understand what it
means...

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net
Closer to MOP & ContextL:
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
Pascal Costanza wrote:
> Cruise Director wrote:
>
>>> In case you haven't seen the Save Lisp and Die logo:
>>> http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=save%20lisp%20and%20die&btnG=Google+Search&sa=N&tab=wi
>>>

>> I don't get it.  Why would anyone want to save Lisp *and* die?
>
> You should learn programming in Lisp - then you would understand what it
> means...

Aaaaah, the sun's coming up :)

Applied to real life it sound a bit strange indeed.

By the way, I think the coding style in other languages (such as shell)
would be more like

save-lisp || die

;)

--
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
From: Rob Warnock
Ulrich Hobelmann  <···········@web.de> wrote:
+---------------
| >> I don't get it.  Why would anyone want to save Lisp *and* die?
| > You should learn programming in Lisp - then you would understand
| > what it means...
|
| By the way, I think the coding style in other languages (such as shell)
| would be more like
|   save-lisp || die
+---------------

Nah, that's still not quite right. First, it's an AND, not OR:

    save-self && exit 0

and "save-self" is required to be built-in shell command.
[Note: Saying "exec save-self" wold not be quite correct, either,
since the original CMUCL SAVE-LISP only exited when successful.]

-Rob

p.s. SBCL's SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE is just the truth-in-advertising version
of parent CMUCL's SAVE-LISP, which always died if successful, but that
small fact is missing from the function's doc string.  ;-}

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403		(650)572-2607
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
Rob Warnock wrote:
> Ulrich Hobelmann  <···········@web.de> wrote:
> +---------------
> | > You should learn programming in Lisp - then you would understand
> | > what it means...
> |
> | By the way, I think the coding style in other languages (such as shell)
> | would be more like
> |   save-lisp || die
> +---------------
>
> Nah, that's still not quite right. First, it's an AND, not OR:
>
>     save-self && exit 0

Yes, that was my point ;)

Most shell scripts have something like

try-blabla OR die

which would be rather inappropriate to do with an unsaved Lisp image.

--
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
From: Stefan Scholl
On 2005-10-30 12:37:36, Ulrich Hobelmann wrote:
> David Steuber wrote:
>> How about the alien wearing a "Save-Lisp-And-Die" T-shirt?
>
> I'd prefer "Give us Lisp or give us Death".
> OTOH, we should be careful what we ask for ;)

MORE SLOGANS!

Common Lisp for the uncommon people

Can I make it in Common Lisp, or can you wait a month longer?

Lisp is the I in AI

In X3J13 we trust

Smart chicks dig CLOS

Lusty Lists

Web: http://www.no-spoon.de/ -*- IRC: stesch @ freenode
From: Cruise Director
Are you guys actually trying to market to someone?  These read as
in-jokes for people who already do Lisp.  Although a certain amount of
cheerleading and preaching to the choir might be useful for techie
retention, it's not going to bring new people into the fold.

Stefan Scholl wrote:
> On 2005-10-30 12:37:36, Ulrich Hobelmann wrote:
> > David Steuber wrote:
> >> How about the alien wearing a "Save-Lisp-And-Die" T-shirt?

Non-lispers don't care about saving Lisp.

> > I'd prefer "Give us Lisp or give us Death".
> > OTOH, we should be careful what we ask for ;)

Not sure what I think of this one.

> MORE SLOGANS!
>
> Common Lisp for the uncommon people

I don't find this terribly appealing.  People need to be persuaded, not
just told that Lisp people are superior.  People have their own
favorite languages and an empty boast just breeds resentment.

> Can I make it in Common Lisp, or can you wait a month longer?

I actually mis-parsed this, thinking it was saying Lisp is a slow
language.  If I can make that mistake, probably others can at a glance.
 The sentiment might work with a rephrasing though.

> Lisp is the I in AI

Lisp has been trying to shake its "guilt by association" with the
1980's AI debacle for almost 2 decades now, so please don't bring this
back.

> In X3J13 we trust
>
> Smart chicks dig CLOS

Only Lispers know what X3J13 and CLOS are.

> Lusty Lists

This just doesn't make any sense.  If you're going to combine Lisp with
sex, and I'm not saying it's a fruitful direction to pursue, something
like "Lisp is Sexy" would make more sense.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
From: Bruce Baker
"Cruise Director" <···········@gmail.com> wrote in message
·····························@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Are you guys actually trying to market to someone?  These read as
> in-jokes for people who already do Lisp.  Although a certain amount of
> cheerleading and preaching to the choir might be useful for techie
> retention, it's not going to bring new people into the fold.

[snip]

>> Lusty Lists
>
> This just doesn't make any sense.  If you're going to combine Lisp with
> sex, and I'm not saying it's a fruitful direction to pursue, something
> like "Lisp is Sexy" would make more sense.

Ummm ... "Lisp is Sexp-y"? :-D

From: Cor Gest
"Cruise Director" <···········@gmail.com> writes:

> > Can I make it in Common Lisp, or can you wait a month longer?
>
> I actually mis-parsed this, thinking it was saying Lisp is a slow
> language.  If I can make that mistake, probably others can at a glance.
>  The sentiment might work with a rephrasing though.

Nah, better change it then,
Think this might lift a brow or two:

Can I do it in Lisp or are your shareholders the not-greedy kind?

Cor

--
If you can't use Lisp to solve your problem, you need absolution.
   To really make a mess of things one should use a computer
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
Cruise Director wrote:
> Stefan Scholl wrote:
>
> Non-lispers don't care about saving Lisp.

Even worse, they refuse to die!

--
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
From: John Thingstad
On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 14:12:45 +0200, Christian Lynbech <·········@defun.dk>
wrote:

> [Apologies if this appears twice; first post seems to have failed.]
>
> In order to join the logo fun, I would like to propose a logo for the
> lispnik movement. I mean, how can one expect to take over the world
> without something to stamp on tshirts and coffeemugs.
>
> The proposed logo is simply a lambda surrounded by parenthesises, as
> depicted at <http://localhost/lispnik.pdf> or
> <http://localhost/lispnik.jpg>.
>
> Admittedly, though, not quite as cute or cool as the lisp alien.
>
> Can be rendered in ASCII only as:
>
>         (lambda)
>
> ------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
> Christian Lynbech       | christian ··@ defun #\. dk
> ------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
> Hit the philistines three times over the head with the Elisp reference
> manual.
>                                         - ·······@hal.com (Michael A.
> Petonic)

lol

Can not be found on this server!
YES... Oddly appropriate :)

From: Christian Lynbech

John> Can not be found on this server!

It should have been "defun.dk" rather than "localhost" as in

        http://defun.dk/lispnik.jpg

From: LuisGLopez
Hi!

If you want a phrase to catch people, I can offer my own experience. I
was browsing the net searching for a new programming language to learn,
and came across with this (please excuse my *bad* memory):
"A language that doesn't change your mind about programming, is not
worth studying".

It just blew my head... and here I am. *Very* happy little lisper :-)

Luis.
From: Patrick May
"LuisGLopez" <············@gmail.com> writes:
> If you want a phrase to catch people, I can offer my own
> experience. I was browsing the net searching for a new programming
> language to learn, and came across with this (please excuse my *bad*
> memory): "A language that doesn't change your mind about
> programming, is not worth studying".

     "A language that doesn't affect the way you think about
     programming, is not worth knowing."

          -- Alan Perlis

Regards,

Patrick

S P Engineering, Inc.    | The experts in large scale distributed OO
          ···@spe.com    | (C++, Java, Common Lisp, Jini, CORBA, UML)
From: Wade Humeniuk
Hi Conrad,

Great Logo.

I showed it to my son, who is 12.  He really likes the alien (so do I).
I asked him to use Wings 3D to create a 3D version (he is thinking about it).
He also saw the SPELS tutorial and it is going to give it a try.

Wade

From: Wade Humeniuk
Conrad,

I have included the lisplogo_fancy_128.png as part of the
main page of our School Council Web Site (of which I am developer &
maintainer, written entirely with LWL, portableaserve, FreeBSD, ...).

Wade
From: Peter Seibel
······@gmail.com writes:

> There was a thread a couple of days ago on c.l.l where folks were
> lamenting the absence of attractive, public domain Lisp logos. In a fit
> of inspiration, I have built a logo set that I hope can fill this void.
> There's several logos in different shapes and styles all built around a
> central design.
>
> http://www.lisperati.com/logo.html
>
> Anyone is welcome to use them for whatever purpose they please- SVG
> files are included as well. If you have any ideas for names for the
> Lisp mascot featured in these designs, or suggestions on what a
> similar Scheme mascot would look like, please post your suggestions
> to this thread!

You should make t-shirts on CafePress. I know I'd buy one.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: ······@gmail.com
From: Cruise Director
······@gmail.com wrote:
> I've been thinking about it- maybe I'll do it in a week or two when I
> have an opening between my other projects!

T-shirts, games... I think you've really got something here.  It would
be a coup to have the coolest mascots of all the various animals and
demons and etc. out there.  Imagination was somewhat limited with
Python and OCaml, as they both evoke animals already.  Now, you can do
all kinds of things with animals, but you can't do something more
inherently cool like make aliens ala The Yellow Submarine.

Does anyone have the skill and energy to create a website that could
serve as a clearinghouse for alien-based Lisp / Scheme marketing
efforts?  I don't, but if somebody else put that infrastructure
together, I'd participate.  I'm primarily interested in how these
characters could become 3D animations, demos, and games.

But if not, then I'll keep plodding along with 3D engine problems as I
always do.

From: Bernd Schmitt
Subject: Re: Lisp Logos - here is some space for your IDEAS
If some of you like to create something.
Here is space for 100MB:

	http://wikihost.org/wikis/lisplogogreate

It is just a wiki.

Ciao,
Bernd

--
https://gna.org/projects/mipisti - (microscope) picture stitching
          T_a_k_e__c_a_r_e__o_f__y_o_u_r__R_I_G_H_T_S.
From: matteo d'addio 81
Conrad Barski's logos are great! I like logos in general and since some
months I started to think at LISP/Scheme logos.

I've tried to create a preview of how the alian would look like, based
on some ideas taken from these posts.
I've created some pages that can be found at:

http://freeweb.lombardiacom.it/daddio_Home/scheme/scheme-alien.html

Do you think I should add 'em on the wiki?

In that pages there are olso other logos ideas I have had in the past
month.
I hope you like 'em.

matteo (Milano - Italy)
From: vishnuvyas
matteo d'addio 81 wrote:

Cool logos, but a bit of shading.. and an actual hand rather than a
nose/hand holding it would be way cooler.. and what about the eye-lid
with either the lambda or the y combinator?
From: Bernd Schmitt
matteo d'addio 81 wrote:

> http://freeweb.lombardiacom.it/daddio_Home/scheme/scheme-alien.html
> Do you think I should add 'em on the wiki?
yes, for sure.
( i just linked the one i liked most ;)

Ciao,
Bernd
From: Cruise Director
matteo d'addio 81 wrote:

> http://freeweb.lombardiacom.it/daddio_Home/scheme/scheme-alien.html
>
> Do you think I should add 'em on the wiki?

Delurking due to technical difficulty.  I wasn't able to figure out
your real e-mail address, so after 2 failed addresses I gave up.

Yes, please put your Scheme alien concept sketches on the wiki.  I
think you're in the right ballpark for the Scheme alien.  I actually
like the nose-as-pseudopod approach.  I hadn't thought about the
Schemer being able to smile, as I had imagined a suspicious, frowning
Schemer.  Maybe 1 pseudopod leg is more practical than all these ideas
about Scheme aliens being unadorned spheres and so forth.  Might be
easier to animate, although I think I still prefer the concept of roll,
roll, roll to bounce, bounce, bounce.  Well, Scheme aliens could
potentially do both, so I wouldn't presume to limit you.  Really these
are animation issues, not logo issues.  The appropriate way to deal
with them is to find some animators and bang out some prototypes.

Ok, back to lurking.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
From: matteo d'addio 81
I use Google to read newsgroups. If you see something like:
<··········@yahoo.it>
you should use the Google website to retrieve my e-mail.

by
matteo
From: ·········@gmail.com
From: Aaron Gray
> http://www.lisperati.com/logo.html
>
> Anyone is welcome to use them for whatever purpose they please- SVG
> files are included as well. If you have any ideas for names for the
> Lisp mascot featured in these designs, or suggestions on what a similar
> Scheme mascot would look like, please post your suggestions to this
> thread!

Hope you do not mind me asking, but what tool did you use to create the SVG
?

Aaron
From: M Jared Finder
Aaron Gray wrote:
>>http://www.lisperati.com/logo.html
>>
>>Anyone is welcome to use them for whatever purpose they please- SVG
>>files are included as well. If you have any ideas for names for the
>>Lisp mascot featured in these designs, or suggestions on what a similar
>>Scheme mascot would look like, please post your suggestions to this
>>thread!
>

> Hope you do not mind me asking, but what tool did you use to create the SVG
> ?

According to the SVG, he used Inkscape:

<!-- Created with Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org/) -->

   -- MJF
From: Aaron Gray
> According to the SVG, he used Inkscape:
>
> <!-- Created with Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org/) -->

Great Inkscape open source cross platform as well, goodie.

Aaron