From: Vadim Potapenko
Subject: Lisp code for reading
I need some code samples for reading. It should be not simple short
listings, but completed meaningfull programs.  Readers(users) level -
from beginners to intermidiates. Reading time - about a week. The goal
is to learn code architecture and good style, make small changes or
extend decision.

From: John Thingstad
Subject: Re: Lisp code for reading
On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:52:05 +0200, Vadim Potapenko
<···············@eurostudio.net> wrote:

> I need some code samples for reading. It should be not simple short
> listings, but completed meaningfull programs.  Readers(users) level -
> from beginners to intermidiates. Reading time - about a week. The goal
> is to learn code architecture and good style, make small changes or
> extend decision.

http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book  might be just what you are looking for.
The book has many practical applications and teaches good programming
style.
You might want to look at the lisp program used to generate the book as
well.
It is available from the same web cite.

From: John Thingstad
On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:40:06 +0200, John Thingstad
<··············@chello.no> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:52:05 +0200, Vadim Potapenko
> <···············@eurostudio.net> wrote:
>
>> I need some code samples for reading. It should be not simple short
>> listings, but completed meaningfull programs.  Readers(users) level -
>> from beginners to intermidiates. Reading time - about a week. The goal
>> is to learn code architecture and good style, make small changes or
>> extend decision.
>>

> http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book  might be just what you are looking for.
> The book has many practical applications and teaches good programming
> style.
> You might want to look at the lisp program used to generate the book as
> well.
> It is available from the same web cite.

I notice there is no link to the lisp code used to generate the book on
the cite.
You have to use the link below to get the source.
http://www.gigamonkeys.com/lisp/markup/

From: Steven M. Haflich
Vadim Potapenko wrote:
> I need some code samples for reading. It should be not simple short
> listings, but completed meaningfull programs.  Readers(users) level -
> from beginners to intermidiates. Reading time - about a week. The goal
> is to learn code architecture and good style, make small changes or
> extend decision.

Check http://www.dynamiclearningcenter.com/

especially the Samples section.  This site is no longer vigorously
maintained and the content was commissioned by some marketing folks
who didn't have the technical vision to maintain its indefinite
development into the future, but there is some good material there
(as well as some not so good material).

I wrote the Ray Tracing sample application, which is an elaboration
of the Ray Traing code in one of Paul Graham's book.  Based on my
25 years of Lisp programming, it tries to achieve a balance between
doing something interesting, doing it with a reasonable architecture,
doing it well enough but not so well that there is no room for
improvement and optimization, does something that is interesting to
novices, and something that has plenty of room for extensions.

I would also recommend the applications developed in Norvig's
_Principles of AI Programming_ and any of his other books.  Lotsa
good stuff there.

Many programmers of my generation learned Unix (or later, Lisp
Machines) in academic environments where the sources were available.
Many wrote versions of Unix ls with rather silly additional switches
that did silly things.  These were wasted programming efforts, but
good learning exercises, because they involved small programming
exercises within the framework of an existing, readable, and
well-written code bofy.  I still believe this is the best way for
an apprentice to learn programming: modifying or embellishing some
master's code.
From: Ivan Boldyrev

http://www.cliki.net :)

--
Ivan Boldyrev

Violets are red, Roses are blue. //
I'm schizophrenic, And so am I.
From: Glen Able
> Violets are red, Roses are blue. //
> I'm schizophrenic, And so am I.

Please read:

http://www.mhamontana.org/schizophrenia.htm

Thanks!
From: Denis Bueno
In article <············@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>,
 "Glen Able" <·········@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Violets are red, Roses are blue. //
> > I'm schizophrenic, And so am I.
>
> Please read:
>
> http://www.mhamontana.org/schizophrenia.htm

Please read:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=joke

Thanks!

-Denis
From: Raffael Cavallaro
On 2005-10-28 11:56:52 -0400, Denis Bueno <··········@UEOAstygian.net> said:

> Please read:
>
> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=joke
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Denis

The joke, such as it is, relies on an incorrect notion of what the word
"schizophrenic" means. The poster who included the joke in his sig
apparently thinks schizonphrenia is multiple personality disorder and
it is not. Hence Glen Able's pointer to a definition of what
schizophrenia really is. Note that this is not some recent change in
terminology - schizophrenia has never meant multiple personality
disorder - this is just a common lay misconception.
From: justinhj
Raffael Cavallaro wrote:
"this is just a common lay misconception"

Since when was humour not allowed to rely on those?
From: Raffael Cavallaro
On 2005-10-28 17:28:32 -0400, "justinhj" <········@gmail.com> said:

> Raffael Cavallaro wrote:
> "this is just a common lay misconception"
>
> Since when was humour not allowed to rely on those?

That makes this ok then as well:

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Molasses is slow,
and lisp is too!

Perpetuating common misconceptions with jokes is certainly something
one might reasonably take issue with.

regards
From: Tim X
"justinhj" <········@gmail.com> writes:

> Raffael Cavallaro wrote:
> "this is just a common lay misconception"
>
> Since when was humour not allowed to rely on those?

I think the "issue" is that in this case this misconception promotes a
misunderstanding regarding a disease which appears to be increasing in
prevalence, but yet still does not get the research and treatment
funding it needs. Also, it is often offensive to those who have had to
struggle to overcome/manage their condition. A large part of the
struggle is due to ignorance and misconceptions regarding what the
disease is and its affects.

I have seen what this disease can do to someones life and how those
around them react to them and until you have seen this close up, its
very difficult to understand what they are going through The
reaction many supposedly intelligent people have to those with
schizophrenia, even after the person with the condition has recieved
treatment and learnt to manage their illness, is both sad and
frustrating.

While its true humor often relies on common misconceptions, this
doesn't justify it or make it OK. Lets face it, most racist humor is
based on misconceptions, but its not OK.

tim

--
Tim Cross
From: Ivan Boldyrev
On 9277 day of my life Raffael Cavallaro wrote:
> The poster who included the joke in his sig apparently thinks
> schizonphrenia is multiple personality disorder and it is not.

I do not think it and I didn't think it.  Glen and Raffael, stop
posting a rubbish.

--
Ivan Boldyrev

                                      Life!  Don't talk to me about life.
From: Raffael Cavallaro
On 2005-10-30 12:36:18 -0500, Ivan Boldyrev
<···············@cgitftp.uiggm.nsc.ru> said:

> On 9277 day of my life Raffael Cavallaro wrote:
>> The poster who included the joke in his sig apparently thinks
                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^

>> schizonphrenia is multiple personality disorder and it is not.
>
> I do not think it and I didn't think it.  Glen and Raffael, stop
> posting a rubbish.

By including it in your sig you give the appearance that you do. What I
have posted is not rubbish, but common sense - if you post jokes based
on common misconceptions people will think you hold those
misconceptions. Note that the joke was not poking fun at people who
hold the misconception. Rather, the joke only works if one takes the
misconception as true.
From: Ivan Boldyrev
On 9279 day of my life Raffael Cavallaro wrote:
>>> The poster who included the joke in his sig apparently thinks
>>> schizonphrenia is multiple personality disorder and it is not.
>> I do not think it and I didn't think it.
>
> ... The joke only works if one takes the misconception as true.

Your sence of humor is screwed.  Joke works even if one doesn't take
misconception as true.

From: Raffael Cavallaro
On 2005-10-31 23:51:02 -0500, Ivan Boldyrev
<···············@cgitftp.uiggm.nsc.ru> said:

> Your sence of humor is screwed.  Joke works even if one doesn't take
> misconception as true.

This grows tiresome. Even setting aside questions of taste such as:

1 - The "joke" is at the expense of the mentally ill,
2 - The "joke" works only if it is 1954 and you are Milton Berle,

there remains the factual matter that the joke is predicated on the
word "schizophrenic" meaning "having multiple personalities." The word
"schizophrenic" does not mean this. It means "delusional."

"Violets are red
Roses are blue
I'm delusional
And so am I"

makes no sense.

Thus, the joke only works (or rather, shuffles lamely until put out of
its misery by audience groans) if its teller and the audience hold an
incorrect notion of the meaning of the word "schizophrenic."

regards
From: John Thingstad
On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 06:56:06 +0100, Raffael Cavallaro
<················@pas-d'espam-s'il-vous-plait-mac.com> wrote:

> The word "schizophrenic" does not mean this. It means "delusional."

Actually this, too, is a bit to general.
It means seeing or hearing things that arn't there.

A delusion need not (bot often does) encompass this.
So psycologist/psychiatrist distinguish between
paranoid delusional and paronoid scizofrenic delusional for example.

There is a reason for this distincion. Delusions can be caused
by many things. Scizofrenia however is believed to be caused
by damage to a spesic area of the brain.

By the way the 'modern word' for Multiple Personality Disorder
is Disosiative Disorder reflecting that the patient dosn't really
have seperate personalities (which would be difficult since temprerament
is something you are born woth and comprieses about 50% of your
personality)
but rather compartamentalized memory that dosn't assosiate with
other parts of memory.

From: Raffael Cavallaro
On 2005-11-01 06:14:59 -0500, "John Thingstad" <··············@chello.no> said:

> On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 06:56:06 +0100, Raffael Cavallaro
> <················@pas-d'espam-s'il-vous-plait-mac.com> wrote:
>
>> The word "schizophrenic" does not mean this. It means "delusional."
>
> Actually this, too, is a bit to general.
> It means seeing or hearing things that arn't there.

Actually, schizophrenia can be diagnosed from multiple symptoms,
including hallucinations (as you point out) and delusions, and not all
need be present. From
<http://www.nym.org/healthinfo/docs/047/doc47.html>:

"The disease is complicated by the fact that although a schizophrenic
patient may have more than one symptom, he or she rarely has all of
them."

So I could have gone with:

I hallucinate
And so do I

or

I suffer from disorderd thinking
And so do I

but as you point out the word "delusional" has broader usage in English
- it can mean strictly delusional, or it can mean delusional with
hallucinations, so I thought it a better choice for meaning and to
match the OJ's verb.

In any event, none of these makes sense unless schizophrenia means
multiple personality disorder (now known as dissociative disorder), and
schizophrenia doesn't mean that.

regards
From: Tim X
"John Thingstad" <··············@chello.no> writes:

> > I crack therefore I hack?
> > That is the Bush foundation..
> >

> wow, the NSA are speding up.. It only took 3 minutes to clear :)

Hmmm. Lets test that with emacs' spook command

M-x spook

S Key militia mailbomb Semtex South Africa DES industrial intelligence
supercomputer ANZUS Skipjack kilderkin UNSCOM electronic surveillance
Arnett SSL

--
Tim Cross
From: Kenny Tilton
Ivan Boldyrev wrote:

>>>I do not think it and I didn't think it.
>>
>>... The joke only works if one takes the misconception as true.
>

> Your sence of humor is screwed.  Joke works even if one doesn't take
> misconception as true.

Balderdash. Accuracy is essential to humor. You can stretch things --
hyperbole is fine -- but you cannot get them wrong. If the OJ had any
wit, their sig would say something like "I have multiple personality
disorder, and so do we." One gets the original joke, and a joke on the
original joke's error, as well as a joke on nitpicking terminological
precision. But the best thing is its accuracy. Well, and that the rhyme
is broken.

--
Kenny

Why Lisp? http://wiki.alu.org/RtL_Highlight_Film

"I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state
I finally won out over it."
     Elwood P. Dowd, "Harvey", 1950
From: justinhj
Kenny Tilton wrote:
> Ivan Boldyrev wrote:

> >>... The joke only works if one takes the misconception as true.
> >

> > Your sence of humor is screwed.  Joke works even if one doesn't take
> > misconception as true.
> >

> Balderdash. Accuracy is essential to humor. You can stretch things --
> hyperbole is fine -- but you cannot get them wrong. If the OJ had any
> wit, their sig would say something like "I have multiple personality
> disorder, and so do we." One gets the original joke, and a joke on the
> original joke's error, as well as a joke on nitpicking terminological
> precision. But the best thing is its accuracy. Well, and that the rhyme
> is broken.
>
> --
> Kenny
>
> Why Lisp? http://wiki.alu.org/RtL_Highlight_Film
>
> "I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state
> I finally won out over it."
>      Elwood P. Dowd, "Harvey", 1950

OT

For what it's worth I think the joke is funny if you can suspend your
great intelligence for a couple of seconds to just enjoy it. By the
time you've picked a joke apart and replaced it's inconsistencies
you're left with no joke, where's the fun in that.

My wife has worked with seriously mentally ill patuents at a secure
hospital, and humour was a very important factor in their care. The
patients and staff would joke about their conditions and the hospital,
and the patients would joke with each other. I doubt seriously doubt
anyone with either dissasociative disorder or schizophrenia would be
offended by this joke.

----

"I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright Nooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww!"

There's another one for you to dissect. lol