From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Head's Up!*
Winter startup deal from Paul Graham and C0:

     http://ycombinator.com/wfp2006.html

* Warning yelled out at baseball games when a foul fly ball heads for
the stands.

--
Kenny

Why Lisp? http://wiki.alu.org/RtL_Highlight_Film

"I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state
I finally won out over it."
     Elwood P. Dowd, "Harvey", 1950

From: Rob Warnock
Subject: Re: Head's Up!*
Kenny Tilton  <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
+---------------
| * Warning yelled out at baseball games when a foul fly ball
|   heads for the stands.
+---------------

Ob. nitpick: There is no apostrophe in "Heads up!"  ;-}   ;-}

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403		(650)572-2607
From: Kenny Tilton
Rob Warnock wrote:
> Kenny Tilton  <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> +---------------
> | * Warning yelled out at baseball games when a foul fly ball
> |   heads for the stands.
> +---------------
>
> Ob. nitpick: There is no apostrophe in "Heads up!"  ;-}   ;-}

Your right!

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
+ Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com>:

| Rob Warnock wrote:
|> Kenny Tilton  <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
|> +---------------
|> | * Warning yelled out at baseball games when a foul fly ball
|> |   heads for the stands.
|> +---------------
|> Ob. nitpick: There is no apostrophe in "Heads up!"  ;-}   ;-}
|
| Your right!

I was gonna ask if that was the possessive (the Up of the Head) or a
statement of fact (the Head is Up), but I restrained myself.  But now
that the thread is ruined anyway, I feel justified in reminiscing a
bit in public: I spent a year in Toronto about 25 years ago.  At the
time, there was a pair of jazz musicians performing there, with the
names of Wright and Wong.  Unfortunately I never got around to going
to one of their concerts, but imagine the word play made possible by
such names.  (I know, jazz musicians don't usually talk a lot.  What a
pity.)

- Debating gives most of us much more psychological satisfaction
  than thinking does: but it deprives us of whatever chance there is
  of getting closer to the truth.  -- C.P. Snow
From: Duane Rettig
Harald Hanche-Olsen <······@math.ntnu.no> writes:

> + Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com>:
>
> | Rob Warnock wrote:
> |> Kenny Tilton  <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> |> +---------------
> |> +---------------
> |> Ob. nitpick: There is no apostrophe in "Heads up!"  ;-}   ;-}
> |
> | Your right!
>
> I was gonna ask if that was the possessive (the Up of the Head) or a
> statement of fact (the Head is Up), but I restrained myself.

Yeah, just like we say in California: "Surf's Up!".

>  But now
> that the thread is ruined anyway, I feel justified in reminiscing a
> bit in public:

Why is it ruined?  Kenny didn't agree with Rob, as in "You're right",
but instead he acknowledged Rob's right to say what he said.  We still
have a good argument going!

:-)

> I spent a year in Toronto about 25 years ago.  At the
> time, there was a pair of jazz musicians performing there, with the
> names of Wright and Wong.  Unfortunately I never got around to going
> to one of their concerts, but imagine the word play made possible by
> such names.  (I know, jazz musicians don't usually talk a lot.  What a
> pity.)

Of course they were playing jazz; it's the only venue where
they wouldn't have to worry about being right and wrong...

From: Rob Warnock
I was going to stop, but then...

Duane Rettig  <·····@franz.com> wrote:
+---------------
| We still have a good argument going!
+---------------

Alrighty, then!

+---------------
| Harald Hanche-Olsen <······@math.ntnu.no> writes:
| > I was gonna ask if that was the possessive (the Up of the Head) or a
| > statement of fact (the Head is Up), but I restrained myself.
|
| Yeah, just like we say in California: "Surf's Up!".
+---------------

"Surf's Up!" is indeed a simple statement of fact, but "Heads Up!"
is imperative mood, as in "Get your @$!^$# heads up if you don't
want them knocked off!"  Think prairie dogs...  ;-}

-Rob

-----
From: Rob Warnock
I was going to stop, but then...

Duane Rettig  <·····@franz.com> wrote:
+---------------
| We still have a good argument going!
+---------------

Alrighty, then!

+---------------
| Harald Hanche-Olsen <······@math.ntnu.no> writes:
| > I was gonna ask if that was the possessive (the Up of the Head) or a
| > statement of fact (the Head is Up), but I restrained myself.
|
| Yeah, just like we say in California: "Surf's Up!".
+---------------

"Surf's Up!" is indeed a simple statement of fact in the
indicative mood -- "The surf is up."  But "Heads Up!" is

From: Thomas F. Burdick
····@rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) writes:

> I was going to stop, but then...
>
> Duane Rettig  <·····@franz.com> wrote:
> +---------------
> | We still have a good argument going!
> +---------------
>
> Alrighty, then!
>
> +---------------
> | Harald Hanche-Olsen <······@math.ntnu.no> writes:
> | > I was gonna ask if that was the possessive (the Up of the Head) or a
> | > statement of fact (the Head is Up), but I restrained myself.
> |
> | Yeah, just like we say in California: "Surf's Up!".
> +---------------
>
> "Surf's Up!" is indeed a simple statement of fact in the
> indicative mood -- "The surf is up."  But "Heads Up!" is
> imperative mood, as in "Get your @$!^$# heads up if you
> don't want them knocked off!"  Think prairie dogs...    ;-}

Except when used by military surfer officers, in which case it's
imperative.  "Surfs up!"  "Surfs up, sir!"

--
         ,'  .\  / | Free Mumia Abu-Jamal! |
From: Zachery Bir
On 2005-10-20 05:58:08 -0400, ····@rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) said:

> "Surf's Up!" is indeed a simple statement of fact in the
> indicative mood -- "The surf is up."  But "Heads Up!" is
> imperative mood, as in "Get your @$!^$# heads up if you
> don't want them knocked off!"  Think prairie dogs...    ;-}

Surely, "Heads Down!" would be better if you don't want them knocked off?

Zac