From: jonathon
Subject: Lisp and OpenGL on Unix
This seems to be a tricky combination.  Has anyone had any success
getting this combination to work reasonably well?

From: ······@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Lisp and OpenGL on Unix
jonathon wrote:
> This seems to be a tricky combination.  Has anyone had any success
> getting this combination to work reasonably well?

Check out:

http://common-lisp.net/project/fetter/
and
http://common-lisp.net/project/cffi/

Fetter (Verrazano?) generates FFI bindings from C header files.  CFFI
is a very nice FFI that works across many Lisp implementations.

I have used the pair of them to get OpenGL, GLUT and OpenAL working
very nicely on Mac OS X, so hopefully Unix will be just as easy.

Both Fetter and CFFI have active mailing lists if you have trouble with
them, and, of course, you can always post here again.

Good luck.

Justin Dubs
From: bradb
I have had success on Ubuntu/Debian using CMUCL (I imagine SBCL will be
just as good), and simply
"apt-get install cl-sdl cl-sdldemos"
There are some basic OpenGL demos that should be enough to get you
going.

Cheers
Brad
From: ··········@gmail.com
OpengGL along with SDL is also fairly simple to get working on Gentoo
as well. The installation includes simple SDL examples and also some
NeHe tutorials.

From: justinhj
··········@gmail.com wrote:
> OpengGL along with SDL is also fairly simple to get working on Gentoo
> as well. The installation includes simple SDL examples and also some
> NeHe tutorials.
>

> jonathon wrote:
> > This seems to be a tricky combination.  Has anyone had any success
> > getting this combination to work reasonably well?

If anyone duplicates the success using Cygwin and Clisp I'd love to try
it out.

Justin