From: Geoffrey King
Subject: lisp in a box - installation woes.
I am attempting to installed lisp in a box on a win2k machine.

I went to http://common-lisp.net/project/lispbox/ and used the 'base
installer' that theoretically gives GNU Emacs 21.3 and SLIME 2004-06-26.

Post running the installers, fun ensued.

1. No emacs tutorial
Of course the emacs tutorial is not present, no big deal, i assume it
just mirrors other web available resources.

2. Can't get slime to run
i configured 99init.el to contains the four magic lines:
   (add-to-list 'load-path "c:\\apps\\lisp\\lispbox\\slime")
   (require 'slime)
   (add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook (lambda () (slime-mode t)))
   (add-hook 'inferior-lisp-mode-hook (lambda () (inferior-slime-mode t)))

On launch the messages indicate no errors.

I then tried to
  M-x slime
and it responded with:
  searching for program: no such file or directory, lisp

Any suggestions?

From: Surendra Singhi
Subject: Re: lisp in a box - installation woes.
Geoffrey King <············@optushome.com.au> writes:

> I am attempting to installed lisp in a box on a win2k machine.
>
> I went to http://common-lisp.net/project/lispbox/ and used the 'base

Even I initially went there, but then I found out about the one maintained by
Peter Seibel,

http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/lispbox/

Try this, I think your installation woes might end.

--
Surendra Singhi
http://www.public.asu.edu/~sksinghi/index.html

,----
`----
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
+ Geoffrey King <············@optushome.com.au>:

| I am attempting to installed lisp in a box on a win2k machine.
|
| I went to http://common-lisp.net/project/lispbox/ and used the 'base
| installer' that theoretically gives GNU Emacs 21.3 and SLIME
| 2004-06-26.

Hmm, that is a very old slime.  Much has happened to it since then.  I
wonder why it is so old.

| I then tried to
|   M-x slime
| and it responded with:
|   searching for program: no such file or directory, lisp
|
| Any suggestions?

Did you carefully read the text on the lispbox web page?  You actually
need to choose and install a lisp in addition to the emacs+slime
combination that you already installed.

- Debating gives most of us much more psychological satisfaction
  than thinking does: but it deprives us of whatever chance there is
  of getting closer to the truth.  -- C.P. Snow
From: Geoffrey King
woes..'amusingly' were due to hard disk failures.

thanks for the help.