From: Cruise Director
Subject: SeaFunc meets Oct. 18
[spread far and wide]

SeaFunc is Seattle. SeaFunc is functional. Functional language.
Functional PRO-gramming. We shall attempt to adjust your software, as
there is something wrong. You're in a C funk. Get out of your C funk.
Stumble on down to the best Belgian booze around.

The Mothership lands at 8 pm on Tuesday, Oct. 18th, at The Stumbling
Monk in Capitol Hill.

To receive timely meeting announcements by e-mail, including where we
will be meeting, subscribe to the mailing list at
http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/SeaFunc

For the uninitiated: "Functional Programming" (FP) treats computation
as the symbolic substitution of functions. Solving problems by making
changes to program state is often avoided. Common Lisp, Scheme,
Standard ML, OCaml, Haskell, and Clean are examples of FP languages.

Anyone interested in the design or use of advanced programming
languages - functional or not - is encouraged to come. We've been
meeting consistently since June 2004. We always have 8-10 people, so
many good networking contacts can be gained. SeaFunc aims to be the
premiere group in the Seattle region for advanced programming language
paradgims. If you think there must be more to life than C++, Java, and
C#, please join us!

Stumbling Monk
1635 E Olive Way
Seattle, WA 98102
(206) 860-0916

Notes: the Monk is in Capitol Hill, at the corner of Olive and Belmont.
The B&O Restaurant is a better known landmark and is kitty-corner to
it. The non-descript storefront says "Typing" on the awning. The Monk
has a fantastic rotating menu of high-octane Belgian beers at
reasonable prices! No food, but you can bring in or order in. We are
evolving a tradition of taking turns bringing our own food; for
instance, brie and crackers.

"Make my func the SeaFunc, I wants to get funked up." - Parliament

From: Stefan Scholl
Subject: Re: SeaFunc meets Oct. 18
In comp.lang.lisp Cruise Director <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
> changes to program state is often avoided. Common Lisp, Scheme,
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^
> Standard ML, OCaml, Haskell, and Clean are examples of FP languages.

Really?
From: Cruise Director
Stefan Scholl wrote:
> In comp.lang.lisp Cruise Director <···········@gmail.com> wrote:
> > changes to program state is often avoided. Common Lisp, Scheme,
>                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Standard ML, OCaml, Haskell, and Clean are examples of FP languages.
>
> Really?

Yes, really.  Since CL has a loose relationship to the Lambda Calculus,
and is often used in FP style, I don't see how you can argue otherwise.
 CL is not, of course, an example of a *pure* FP language.
Fortunately, SeaFunc is not about FP purity.

Cheers,
Brandon J. Van Every
   (cruise (director (of SeaFunc)
           '(Seattle Functional Programmers)))
From: ············@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [BVE PSA] SeaFunc meets Oct. 18
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT BRANDON J. VAN EVERY BEFORE REPLYING TO
ONE OF HIS POSTS

1.  He has never designed any game, nor contributed to the design of
    any game, which has ever seen the light of day, despite referring
    to himself as a "game designer."  (In rebuttal, he pointed out his
    "one complete game" from "1983" on the "Atari 800" which he showed
    to his "8th grade math teacher.")

2.  He has never been employed in the game industry, in any way,
    shape, manner or form.  Despite this, for some reason he managed
    to get named as an Independent Games Festival judge; a curious
    turn of events, since their stated intent is to appoint
    "professionals in the game industry" (their quote, not his).

3.  In fact, the only programming job he had listed on his resume was
    for only "2 years" ending in "1998," working in C and assembly on
    a graphics driver, as a "Sr. Software Engineer" -- a curious
    title, since this was his first (and only) job in the software
    industry.  There is no evidence he has used C++, nor any other
    language, professionally.  (And the company in question is
    defunct, anyway, so there is no way to verify his claim.)

4.  The other jobs he has mentioned having after this one and only
    items on his resume are: "yard maintenance work," "painting
    apartments," "scrubbing floors," "sub minimum wage signature
    gathering," and working for "$5/hour at a Vietnamese restaurant."

5.  The only personal project he actually wrote code for and made
    available in some manner was Free3d, a software 3D rendering
    engine.  Stating that its goals were to be "100% efficient, 100%
    portable" and to release it in a "one year time frame," which he
    started in "1993" and abandoned in "1996," admitting that it
    "barely drew even a single polygon" and "did hardly anything in
    the 3D department."

6.  Almost every Internet community (Usenet newsgroup, mailing list,
    etc.) he has ever introduced himself to has resulted in him
    repeating the same pattern: asking leading questions, demanding
    people do things his way, becoming hostile, annoying the other
    participants, alienating them, and finally leaving in disgust.

7.  Of the projects (open source and otherwise) whose communities he
    has (briefly) joined, he has never contributed anything tangible
    in terms of code or documentation.

8.  The project he has intermittently claimed to be working on, Ocean
    Mars, is vaporware -- and is one of his admitted "failures."  He
    allegedly sunk "nine months of full time 60 hours/week" and about
    "$80K" into it (at least; he "stopped counting") with only a
    "spherical hexified icosahedron" display to show for it (only
    allegedly, since it has never been shown or demonstrated
    publicly).

9.  Since his embarassing frustration with his Ocean Mars project, he
    has decided that C and C++ aren't "worth anything as a resume
    skill anymore," and embarked on a quest in 2003 to find a
    high-level language that will suit his needs.  After more than a
    year, at least ten languages, and not having even "written a line
    of code" in any of them, he still has yet to find a language that
    will suit him.

10. Finally, despite vehemently insisting that he is not a troll, many
    people quite understandingly have great difficulty distinguishing
    his public behavior from that of a troll.
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
············@yahoo.com wrote:
> 10. Finally, despite vehemently insisting that he is not a troll, many
>     people quite understandingly have great difficulty distinguishing
>     his public behavior from that of a troll.

Don't extrapolate from you unto others.

Oh, and consider therapy.

--
Blessed are the young for they shall inherit the national debt.
	Herbert Hoover
From: Cruise Director
Cruise Director wrote:

> The Mothership lands at 8 pm on Tuesday, Oct. 18th, at The Stumbling
> Monk in Capitol Hill.
>
> To receive timely meeting announcements by e-mail, including where we
> will be meeting, subscribe to the mailing list at
> http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/SeaFunc

That's today!