From: ········@mail.utexas.edu
Subject: a good book to start learning Java
Yes, I'm looking for a good Java book! Yes, I have posted in the right
group!!
I'd rather trust a lisper's word of advice than anyone else's :-D

I need to learn Java for a new job and I need a book which will help me
learn to think in Java and OOP terms. Just to get started on the right
foot and make sure I make a good inverstment. Don't have much money to
waste now :-(

I haven't done much OO programming, just building some objects, little
bit of inheritance and basic school stuff. Pretty much ignorant of the
subtelities involved.

I am planning to get "A Little Java" by Friedman. If it anything like
Little Lisper, that's all I need for now. Anyone ever read it? Any
comments on that one?

I am currently reading "Thinking in Java" by Bruce Eckel. Nice and
informative book but it is somehow annoying me a lot to read........
probably because he comes from the C/C++ side and the approach lingers
maybe ..... or maybe because he said something like "Old languages like
Lisp make lists of everything. This approach works well for only for
certain cases", implying what lispers don't like to see implied and I
am prejudiced. And on top of that he goes on and on about how some
features like dynamic memory management, weak binding of Java make it
better than C++ and make it sound like they are being seen for first
time ever only in Java.
 The other book I got hold of is Core Java, I use it for syntax look
up.

Suggestions appreciated.

From: A.L.
Subject: Re: a good book to start learning Java
On 8 Oct 2005 03:39:07 -0700, ········@mail.utexas.edu wrote:

>I am currently reading "Thinking in Java" by Bruce Eckel.

Noooo....

Check this one, last edition

http://tinyurl.com/8oyl8

If you are experienced programmer and know at least one other
language you dont need to read 25 pages about if-then-else, what is
this for, how to use this  and what is the associated philosophy and
politics.

A.L.
From: ········@mail.utexas.edu
>Check this one, last edition
>
> http://tinyurl.com/8oyl8

Thanks a bunch AL!! Looks like the kind of book I'd need.

> If you are experienced programmer and know at least one other
> language you dont need to read 25 pages about if-then-else, what is
> this for, how to use this  and what is the associated philosophy and
> politics.

Yep!! :-)
I have programmed a bit in Lisp, Scheme, Prolog, C, Matlab, Perl, HTML,
Php and so on. Lisp is the language I know best. Never did any OOP
though. I need to get Java handled thoroughly because of job/work
requirements.
   When I can, I'll get to learning a bit of SmallTalk, ML and C++.
Just to get a perspective in programming.
From: ········@mail.utexas.edu
A.L. wrote:
> On 8 Oct 2005 06:48:09 -0700, ········@mail.utexas.edu wrote:

> Smalltalk (not SmallTalk) is highly recommended. Get Squeak
>
> http://www.squeak.org/
>
> This is real fun!
>
> A.L.

wowee :-D
i just downloaded squeak and played around with it.
Simply the coolest IDE (or whatever it is called) I've ever seen!!
From: Pascal Bourguignon
········@mail.utexas.edu writes:

> A.L. wrote:
>> On 8 Oct 2005 06:48:09 -0700, ········@mail.utexas.edu wrote:
>
>> Smalltalk (not SmallTalk) is highly recommended. Get Squeak
>>
>> http://www.squeak.org/
>>
>> This is real fun!
>>
>> A.L.
>
> wowee :-D
> i just downloaded squeak and played around with it.
> Simply the coolest IDE (or whatever it is called) I've ever seen!!

Then try: opencroquet.org

Cats meow out of angst
"Thumbs! If only we had thumbs!
We could break so much!"
From: ········@mail.utexas.edu
Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
> ········@mail.utexas.edu writes:
> > wowee :-D
> > i just downloaded squeak and played around with it.
> > Simply the coolest IDE (or whatever it is called) I've ever seen!!
>
> Then try: opencroquet.org

That is very nice. Thanks for the link.
As it is, my job has to do with enterprise content management. I can
already see some of the practical implications of this project.

Does such cool stuff exist in the scheme world? Smalltalk people are
doing nice things by making it fun and focusing on kids and so on.
From: Alex Mizrahi
(message (Hello 'A.L.)
(you :wrote  :on '(Sat, 08 Oct 2005 09:24:18 -0500))
(

 A> Then you don't need more than a weekend to become fluent in Java :)

 A> However, obejct programming needs a bit of paradigm shift, and I
 A> would recomemnd a book about OO not in the context of any specific
 A> language.

i ever thought that OO in real-world applications is just a method of
arranging code preventing it from being total mess of functions and data
types, and it's usage highly depends on language.

 so OO in C++ is quite different from Java one. and with multiple-dispatch
functions and proper multiple-inheritance it's yet different -- functions no
more belong to classes, so there is much more freedom.

so to become fluent in Java it's better to learn common coding practices in
Java, and not some abstract OO.

am i missing something? is this 'abstract OO' intensively used and is
adequate anywhere?

)
"People who lust for the Feel of keys on their fingertips (c) Inity")
From: ········@gmail.com
This is a book list for Java Programmer(must read).

1  The Pragmatic Programmer: from Journeyman to Master

2  Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code

3  Thinking in Java

4  Effective Java: Programming Language Guide

5  Concurrent Programming in Java: Design Principles and Patterns

6  UML Distilled: A Brief Guide to the Standard Object Modeling
Language

7  Test-Driven Development: By Example

8  Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object Oriented Software

9  Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change

10 Better,Faster, Lighter Java

11 Java Developer's Guide to Eclipse, Second Edition

12 Core Java 2, Vol. 1: Fundamentals (6th edition)

13 Expert One-on-One J2EE Development without EJB

14 Java Servlet Programming, 2nd Edition

And I think www.TopCoder.com is a Best Site for  smart people.
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
········@mail.utexas.edu wrote:
> Peter Seibel wrote:
>
>> With all due respect to Friedman, et al. that is possibly the worst
>> Java book I've ever seen. It's demented.
>
> I was thinking maybe it'd be like Little Lisper. I simple love the
> Little Lisper :-) .

I liked both the Little Schemer and MLer, but the Java book is a bit
weird.  IMHO too much patterns for patterns' sake, resulting in somewhat
unreadable program code.

Anyway, I don't think it'd teach you how people write actual Java code.

--
We're glad that graduates already know Java,
so we only have to teach them how to program.
From: ········@mail.utexas.edu
Ulrich Hobelmann wrote:

> I liked both the Little Schemer and MLer, but the Java book is a bit
> weird.  IMHO too much patterns for patterns' sake, resulting in somewhat
> unreadable program code.
>
> Anyway, I don't think it'd teach you how people write actual Java code.

ok ... it must be quite weird then.  Looks like it won't be worth even
$5 for used copy from Amazon