From: A.L.
Subject: Scheme is Lisp - could you validate this statement?...
This is statement from pl.sci.fizyka (Polish phusics group):

"Scheme jest jednym z licznych dialektow Lisp-u,
nie jest Common Lispem, objetosc definicji Scheme jest
kilkadziesiat razy krotsza niz Common Lispu,
ale to nie zmienia podstawowego faktu,
ze Scheme jest Lispem!
(Podobnie jak koliber i strus sa ptakami,
a myszy i wieloryby sa ssakami.)".

Translation:

"Scheme is one many dialects of Lisp, it is not Common Lisp, the size
of Scheme specification is tens times smaller than Common Lisp, what
doesn't change the basic fact that Scheme is Lisp! (similarly as
collier and ostrich are birds, and mouse and whale are mammals)"

Could you please comment this statement?...

A.L.

From: Pascal Costanza
A.L. wrote:
> This is statement from pl.sci.fizyka (Polish phusics group):
>
> "Scheme jest jednym z licznych dialektow Lisp-u,
> nie jest Common Lispem, objetosc definicji Scheme jest
> kilkadziesiat razy krotsza niz Common Lispu,
> ale to nie zmienia podstawowego faktu,
> ze Scheme jest Lispem!
> (Podobnie jak koliber i strus sa ptakami,
> a myszy i wieloryby sa ssakami.)".
>
> Translation:
>
> "Scheme is one many dialects of Lisp, it is not Common Lisp, the size
> of Scheme specification is tens times smaller than Common Lisp, what
> doesn't change the basic fact that Scheme is Lisp! (similarly as
> collier and ostrich are birds, and mouse and whale are mammals)"
>
> Could you please comment this statement?...

It reads like a half-hearted attempt at igniting a flame war.

Pascal

--
OOPSLA'05 tutorial on generic functions & the CLOS Metaobject Protocol
++++ see http://p-cos.net/oopsla05-tutorial.html for more details ++++
From: A.L.
On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 17:32:16 +0200, Pascal Costanza <··@p-cos.net>
wrote:

>A.L. wrote:
>> This is statement from pl.sci.fizyka (Polish phusics group):
>>
>> "Scheme jest jednym z licznych dialektow Lisp-u,
>> nie jest Common Lispem, objetosc definicji Scheme jest
>> kilkadziesiat razy krotsza niz Common Lispu,
>> ale to nie zmienia podstawowego faktu,
>> ze Scheme jest Lispem!
>> (Podobnie jak koliber i strus sa ptakami,
>> a myszy i wieloryby sa ssakami.)".
>>
>> Translation:
>>
>> "Scheme is one many dialects of Lisp, it is not Common Lisp, the size
>> of Scheme specification is tens times smaller than Common Lisp, what
>> doesn't change the basic fact that Scheme is Lisp! (similarly as
>> collier and ostrich are birds, and mouse and whale are mammals)"
>>
>> Could you please comment this statement?...
>
>It reads like a half-hearted attempt at igniting a flame war.

If you have nothing constructive to say, then don't respond.

A.L.
From: GP lisper
On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 10:37:34 -0500, <············@kalabambuko.com> wrote:
>>> Could you please comment this statement?...
>>
>>It reads like a half-hearted attempt at igniting a flame war.
>
> If you have nothing constructive to say, then don't respond.
>
> A.L.

That looks like the other half.

You really are becoming predictable, even with the many name changes.
From: A.L.
On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 19:04:25 -0700, GP lisper
<········@CloudDancer.com> wrote:

>>>It reads like a half-hearted attempt at igniting a flame war.
>>
>> If you have nothing constructive to say, then don't respond.
>>
>> A.L.
>
>That looks like the other half.
>
>You really are becoming predictable, even with the many name changes.

That what?...

A.L.
From: Raymond Wiker
A.L. <········@kapturek62.com> writes:

> On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 19:04:25 -0700, GP lisper
> <········@CloudDancer.com> wrote:

>>> If you have nothing constructive to say, then don't respond.
>>>
>>> A.L.
>>
>>That looks like the other half.
>>
>>You really are becoming predictable, even with the many name changes.

      GP Lisper refers to the fact that you have recently changed
posting address, so that some of us have had to update our kill
files.

--
Raymond Wiker
······@gmail.com
From: Pascal Costanza
A.L. wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 17:32:16 +0200, Pascal Costanza <··@p-cos.net>
> wrote:
>
>>A.L. wrote:
>>
>>>This is statement from pl.sci.fizyka (Polish phusics group):
>>>
>>>"Scheme jest jednym z licznych dialektow Lisp-u,
>>>nie jest Common Lispem, objetosc definicji Scheme jest
>>>kilkadziesiat razy krotsza niz Common Lispu,
>>>ale to nie zmienia podstawowego faktu,
>>>ze Scheme jest Lispem!
>>>(Podobnie jak koliber i strus sa ptakami,
>>>a myszy i wieloryby sa ssakami.)".
>>>
>>>Translation:
>>>
>>>"Scheme is one many dialects of Lisp, it is not Common Lisp, the size
>>>of Scheme specification is tens times smaller than Common Lisp, what
>>>doesn't change the basic fact that Scheme is Lisp! (similarly as
>>>collier and ostrich are birds, and mouse and whale are mammals)"
>>>
>>>Could you please comment this statement?...
>>
>>It reads like a half-hearted attempt at igniting a flame war.
>
> If you have nothing constructive to say, then don't respond.

You can read about the history of Common Lisp and Scheme in "The
Evolution of Lisp." See http://www.dreamsongs.com/Essays.html

Pascal

From: A.L.
On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 19:11:48 +0200, Pascal Costanza <··@p-cos.net>
wrote:

>You can read about the history of Common Lisp and Scheme in "The
>Evolution of Lisp." See http://www.dreamsongs.com/Essays.html

Thanks.

A.L.
From: Rainer Joswig
In article <··································@4ax.com>,
 A.L. <············@kalabambuko.com> wrote:

> This is statement from pl.sci.fizyka (Polish phusics group):
>
> "Scheme jest jednym z licznych dialektow Lisp-u,
> nie jest Common Lispem, objetosc definicji Scheme jest
> kilkadziesiat razy krotsza niz Common Lispu,
> ale to nie zmienia podstawowego faktu,
> ze Scheme jest Lispem!
> (Podobnie jak koliber i strus sa ptakami,
> a myszy i wieloryby sa ssakami.)".
>
> Translation:
>
> "Scheme is one many dialects of Lisp, it is not Common Lisp, the size
> of Scheme specification is tens times smaller than Common Lisp, what
> doesn't change the basic fact that Scheme is Lisp! (similarly as
> collier and ostrich are birds, and mouse and whale are mammals)"
>
> Could you please comment this statement?...
>
> A.L.

(lisp? 'scheme) -> #t

From the Scheme R5RS document (http://www.schemers.org/Documents/Standards/R5RS/r5rs.pdf):

"Scheme is a statically scoped and
properly tail-recursive dialect of the Lisp programming
language invented by Guy Lewis Steele Jr. and Gerald
Jay Sussman."
From: A.L.
On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 17:35:03 +0200, Rainer Joswig <······@lisp.de>
wrote:

>In article <··································@4ax.com>,
> A.L. <············@kalabambuko.com> wrote:
>
>> This is statement from pl.sci.fizyka (Polish phusics group):
>>
>> "Scheme jest jednym z licznych dialektow Lisp-u,
>> nie jest Common Lispem, objetosc definicji Scheme jest
>> kilkadziesiat razy krotsza niz Common Lispu,
>> ale to nie zmienia podstawowego faktu,
>> ze Scheme jest Lispem!
>> (Podobnie jak koliber i strus sa ptakami,
>> a myszy i wieloryby sa ssakami.)".
>>
>> Translation:
>>
>> "Scheme is one many dialects of Lisp, it is not Common Lisp, the size
>> of Scheme specification is tens times smaller than Common Lisp, what
>> doesn't change the basic fact that Scheme is Lisp! (similarly as
>> collier and ostrich are birds, and mouse and whale are mammals)"
>>
>> Could you please comment this statement?...
>>
>> A.L.
>
>(lisp? 'scheme) -> #t
>
>From the Scheme R5RS document (http://www.schemers.org/Documents/Standards/R5RS/r5rs.pdf):
>
>"Scheme is a statically scoped and
>properly tail-recursive dialect of the Lisp programming
>language invented by Guy Lewis Steele Jr. and Gerald
>Jay Sussman."

Thanks, this clarifies the issue.

A.L.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
A.L. <············@kalabambuko.com> writes:

> This is statement from pl.sci.fizyka (Polish phusics group):
>
> "Scheme jest jednym z licznych dialektow Lisp-u,
> nie jest Common Lispem, objetosc definicji Scheme jest
> kilkadziesiat razy krotsza niz Common Lispu,
> ale to nie zmienia podstawowego faktu,
> ze Scheme jest Lispem!
> (Podobnie jak koliber i strus sa ptakami,
> a myszy i wieloryby sa ssakami.)".
>
> Translation:
>
> "Scheme is one many dialects of Lisp, it is not Common Lisp, the size
> of Scheme specification is tens times smaller than Common Lisp, what
> doesn't change the basic fact that Scheme is Lisp! (similarly as
> collier and ostrich are birds, and mouse and whale are mammals)"
>
> Could you please comment this statement?...

Common Lisp even inherted some genes from scheme!

Of course scheme is lisp, like maclisp, interlisp or LISP 1.5; it's
one of those ancient lisps from which Common Lisp grew and developed.    ;-)

--
"This machine is a piece of GAGH!  I need dual Opteron 850
processors if I am to do battle with this code!"
From: Revzala Haelmic
A.L. wrote:
> This is statement from pl.sci.fizyka (Polish phusics group):
>
> "Scheme jest jednym z licznych dialektow Lisp-u,
 > [... skiped ...]
> (Podobnie jak koliber i strus sa ptakami,
> a myszy i wieloryby sa ssakami.)".

I can't stop amusing with Poish language. Having tried to translate this with
Russian vocabulary (wrong thing to do, I know), I got "... and mice and
bike-fishes with urine". LOL :)))

> Translation:
>
> "Scheme is one many dialects of Lisp, it is not Common Lisp, the size
> of Scheme specification is tens times smaller than Common Lisp, what
> doesn't change the basic fact that Scheme is Lisp! (similarly as
> collier and ostrich are birds, and mouse and whale are mammals)"
>
> Could you please comment this statement?...

Well, that's true. Some time ago I believed that Common Lisp is the one Lisp and
wondered why does it need "Common" prefix. Then I thought that Common Lisp is a
modern dialect, and the others are old and extincted. That also was wrong, as I
become convinced after visiting http://www.plt-scheme.org/

So, it turned out that Scheme is Lisp similarly as bike-fish is whale.