From: Karol Skocik
Subject: SLIME - problems
Hi guys,
  I have installed Ubuntu instead of Mandrake I used for some time.
Works fine, but after installing SLIME - it just does not highlight my
source code! And, what's worse, it even does not show matching
parenthses!! Anybody knows what can be a problem? I have tried version
1.2.1 gzipped on SLIME's homepage, and also the one from CVS - the same
problem. Under Mandrake, which is more "lamer friendly" distro - it
worked from the beginning. I have Emacs 21.3.1. and Ubuntu 5.0.4. This
problem is a real show stopper :(

Thanks for some ideas,
  Karol

From: Surendra Singhi
Subject: Re: SLIME - problems
"Karol Skocik" <············@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi guys,
>   I have installed Ubuntu instead of Mandrake I used for some time.
> Works fine, but after installing SLIME - it just does not highlight my
> source code!
>And, what's worse, it even does not show matching
> parenthses!!

You have not configured your emacs properly. You need to put the following in
your .init or .emacs file.

The following settings will work for XEmacs, should do for GNU Emacs too, but
I am not very sure.

,----

| (setq paren-mode 'sexp)
|
| (cond ((fboundp 'global-font-lock-mode)
|        (setq font-lock-maximum-decoration t)
|        (global-font-lock-mode t)
|        ))
`----

Or go through the emacs menus, and somewhere you find options to turn these
on.

HTH.

--
Surendra Singhi
http://www.public.asu.edu/~sksinghi/index.html

,----
`----
From: Karol Skocik
It did the trick, thanks a lot. i only needed to use (show-paren-mode)
instead of (setq paren-mode 'sexp). perfect!

karol
From: ·············@gmail.com
From: Karol Skocik
Thanks for link, I will check that. hovewer, my problem was caused
because of missing setting in emacs.

Cheers,
  Karol