From: remixer
Subject: remote lisp hacking
I have a high end desktop pc at home where I usually hack. The desktop
runs Windows/Allegro. I also have access to a powerful linux server
that runs Allegro, SBCL, CMUCL and CLISP.

But when I am on the road or in cafes, I use my windows notebook. I
check out the code and hack on it locally, which is quite painful as it
is much slower. Of course if I were rich I would just spend a ton of
money and buy a new notebook.

Most places I hack, I usually prefer to be wifi-connected. In the
recent Slime videos I saw it connecting to a remote lisp. I am
wondering if people have setup good hacking environment that can
exploit the cycles on remote machines and have all the features if they
were doing it locally. For example, with Franz I get the IDE,
Tracer/Debugger, which are very useful tools (that I got addicted to).

Thanks

From: Sylvain
Subject: Re: remote lisp hacking
remixer wrote:
> I have a high end desktop pc at home where I usually hack. The desktop
> runs Windows/Allegro. I also have access to a powerful linux server
> that runs Allegro, SBCL, CMUCL and CLISP.
>
> But when I am on the road or in cafes, I use my windows notebook. I
> check out the code and hack on it locally, which is quite painful as it
> is much slower. Of course if I were rich I would just spend a ton of
> money and buy a new notebook.

I would look into http://www.realvnc.com/ if I were you.  It looks
like it can solve your problem.  My understanding is that you can
tunnel the thing through ssh which should address any worry you
might (or should) have about working via a totally unsecure
network (open wifi in cafes...

(please someone tell me this is reasonably secure,  I am having
doubts all of a sudden! :-)  I use ssh -X to access my linux box
from the iBook)

--Sylvain
From: Bernd Schmitt
> remixer wrote:
>
> I would look into http://www.realvnc.com/ if I were you.  It looks
> like it can solve your problem.  My understanding is that you can
> tunnel the thing through ssh which should address any worry you
> might (or should) have about working via a totally unsecure
> network (open wifi in cafes...
i use putty (a ssh client for windows) to create a ssh-tunnel for vnc
(tightvnc ... whatever) if i have to use a windows machine to work on my
linux boxes. works fine.
tell me if you need infos on that.

ciao
Bernd

--
https://gna.org/projects/mipisti - (microscope) picture stitching
          T_a_k_e__c_a_r_e__o_f__y_o_u_r__R_I_G_H_T_S.
From: David
I've done a fair bit of remote lisp hacking using slime from emacs
(like in the videos) and it's great. You run lisp with swank (the
common lisp side of slime) on the server and have it listen on a local
port, then you can use SSH to make a secure tunnel and connect from
emacs. It works really well as you're using a local program to edit
the code, the remote (fast) machine to execute the code and there isn't
an excessive amount of communication between the 2.

I find it much more responsive than vnc, X windows or even straight SSH
connection (eg with a text mode emacs instance). Assuming that slime
works on the Windows emacs port you shouldn't have a problem.

-- David