From: Jean Magnan de Bornier
Subject: asdf-install problem
hello all,
I recently installed Peter Seibel's sbcl lispbox; I cannot use
asdf-install in slime:

CL-USER> (require 'asdf)
NIL
CL-USER> (require 'asdf-install)
NIL
CL-USER> (asdf-install:install clx)

READER-ERROR at 21 (line 1, column 21) on #<SB-IMPL::STRING-INPUT-STREAM {95721C1}>:
package "ASDF-INSTALL" not found

seems strange to me, but I'm new to slime and asdf
Thanks for any newbie's special help
--
Jean
T 8070 39 34 03      P 06 09 17 35 87

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: asdf-install problem
Jean Magnan de Bornier <····@bornier.net> writes:

> hello all,
> I recently installed Peter Seibel's sbcl lispbox; I cannot use
> asdf-install in slime:
>
> CL-USER> (require 'asdf)
> NIL
> CL-USER> (require 'asdf-install)
> NIL
> CL-USER> (asdf-install:install clx)
>
> READER-ERROR at 21 (line 1, column 21) on #<SB-IMPL::STRING-INPUT-STREAM {95721C1}>:
> package "ASDF-INSTALL" not found
>
> seems strange to me, but I'm new to slime and asdf
> Thanks for any newbie's special help

I don't use lispbox, but when I do:

(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :asdf-install)
(asdf-install:install :some-system)

with properly installed ASDF and ASDF-INSTALL, it works...

--
"This machine is a piece of GAGH!  I need dual Opteron 850
processors if I am to do battle with this code!"
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier
Le 23 novembre � 10:25:09 Pascal Bourguignon <····@mouse-potato.com> �crit
notamment:

> Jean Magnan de Bornier <····@bornier.net> writes:
>
>> hello all,
>> I recently installed Peter Seibel's sbcl lispbox; I cannot use
>> asdf-install in slime:
>>
>> CL-USER> (require 'asdf)
>> NIL
>> CL-USER> (require 'asdf-install)
>> NIL
>> CL-USER> (asdf-install:install clx)
>>
>> READER-ERROR at 21 (line 1, column 21) on
>> #<SB-IMPL::STRING-INPUT-STREAM {95721C1}>: package "ASDF-INSTALL" not
>> found
>>
>> seems strange to me, but I'm new to slime and asdf
>> Thanks for any newbie's special help
>
> I don't use lispbox, but when I do:
>
> (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :asdf-install)

using this last command I get (displaying only the top lines):

component "asdf-install" not found
   [Condition of type MISSING-COMPONENT]

Restarts:
  0: [ABORT] Abort handling SLIME request.
  1: [ABORT] Exit debugger, returning to top level.

Backtrace:
  0: (FIND-SYSTEM :ASDF-INSTALL T)
  1: (OPERATE LOAD-OP :ASDF-INSTALL)
  2: (SB-INT:EVAL-IN-LEXENV (OPERATE (QUOTE LOAD-OP) :ASDF-INSTALL)
#<NULL-LEXENV>)
  3: (SWANK::EVAL-REGION "(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :asdf-install)
" T)

I guess I have to conclude that asdf-install is not properly installed, so
why do I not get an error when (require 'asdf-install)?

Thx,
--
  Jean
From: Edi Weitz
On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:28:40 +0100, Jean Magnan de Bornier <············@univ.u-3mrs.fr> wrote:

> Le 23 novembre � 10:25:09 Pascal Bourguignon <····@mouse-potato.com> �crit
> notamment:
>
>> I don't use lispbox, but when I do:
>>
>> (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :asdf-install)
>
> using this last command I get (displaying only the top lines):
>
> component "asdf-install" not found
>
> [...]
>
> I guess I have to conclude that asdf-install is not properly
> installed, so why do I not get an error when (require
> 'asdf-install)?

Pascal obviously didn't look very closely at your message where you
said that you're using SBCL.  ASDF-INSTALL should be part of the SBCL
distribution and therefore REQUIRE should just work (while loading
ASDF-INSTALL via ASDF probably doesn't - see above).  If it doesn't
work then it's probably a problem with lispbox and you should ask
Peter Seibel (who also happens to read this group).  Maybe lispbox
modifies the behaviour of REQUIRE?

See also this thread:

  <http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/browse_frm/thread/34a3dc5072bed26e/0b6f788d9d043798>

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Peter Seibel
Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:

> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:28:40 +0100, Jean Magnan de Bornier <············@univ.u-3mrs.fr> wrote:
>
>> Le 23 novembre � 10:25:09 Pascal Bourguignon <····@mouse-potato.com> �crit
>> notamment:
>>
>>> I don't use lispbox, but when I do:
>>>
>>> (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :asdf-install)
>>
>> using this last command I get (displaying only the top lines):
>>
>> component "asdf-install" not found
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> I guess I have to conclude that asdf-install is not properly
>> installed, so why do I not get an error when (require
>> 'asdf-install)?
>
> Pascal obviously didn't look very closely at your message where you
> said that you're using SBCL.  ASDF-INSTALL should be part of the SBCL
> distribution and therefore REQUIRE should just work (while loading
> ASDF-INSTALL via ASDF probably doesn't - see above).  If it doesn't
> work then it's probably a problem with lispbox and you should ask
> Peter Seibel (who also happens to read this group).  Maybe lispbox
> modifies the behaviour of REQUIRE?

Nope. At least not directly. I may, however, muck with
ASDF:*CENTRAL-REGISTRY* in some way that is dorking it up.

-Peter
--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com