From: vishnuvyas
Subject: XML parsers for lisp
Are there any lightweight XML parsers in LISP with CDATA support?

I've tried XMLS and S-XML, and it turns out that XMLS sometimes breaks
on certain XML documents , while S-XML doesn't have any CDATA support.

Cheers,
Vishnu Vyas.

From: Marco Antoniotti
Subject: Re: XML parsers for lisp
If you want the whole shebang, it still looks like you have to go CL-XML
(now in common-lisp.net)

Cheers
--
Marco

From: Edi Weitz
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:35:56 -0500, Marco Antoniotti <·······@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:

> If you want the whole shebang, it still looks like you have to go
> CL-XML (now in common-lisp.net)

As far as parsing is concerned, what does CL-XML have that CXML
doesn't have?

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Marco Antoniotti
Edi Weitz wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:35:56 -0500, Marco Antoniotti <·······@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
>

>>If you want the whole shebang, it still looks like you have to go
>>CL-XML (now in common-lisp.net)
>

> As far as parsing is concerned, what does CL-XML have that CXML
> doesn't have?

Probably not much more.  It does have XPath and XQuery implemented though.

http://pws.prserv.net/James.Anderson/XML/

There is also another one in the Wilbur package.

Of course, setting on a nice XML processing system would be a nice thing.

On my part I will switch immediately to the first one that handles the
XML Schema crap.

Cheers
--
Marco
From: mikel
Marco Antoniotti wrote:

> Edi Weitz wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:35:56 -0500, Marco Antoniotti
>> <·······@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> If you want the whole shebang, it still looks like you have to go
>>> CL-XML (now in common-lisp.net)
>>

>> As far as parsing is concerned, what does CL-XML have that CXML
>> doesn't have?
>

> Probably not much more.  It does have XPath and XQuery implemented though.
>
> http://pws.prserv.net/James.Anderson/XML/
>
> There is also another one in the Wilbur package.
>
> Of course, setting on a nice XML processing system would be a nice thing.
>
> On my part I will switch immediately to the first one that handles the
> XML Schema crap.

Not too long ago I worked for a startup company whose survival depended
on being able to parse arbitrary XML extremely quickly and be correct
all the time. No parser in existence could do the job, and we satisfied
ourselves that, despite having plenty of technical firepower, we
couldn't write one that would. So we used five of them, one of them
implemented in hardware, and some logic at the front end to choose which
to try first.

There are a lot of tradeoffs to make in deciding how to parse input that
purports to be XML, and no single parser is likely to be able to make
the right tradeoffs for all applications or for all input profiles. So
having a bunch of different parsers that do things in different ways is
probably a good thing, and desiring a single best parser is probably an
unreasonable desire.
From: R. Mattes
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:26:35 +0100, Edi Weitz wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:35:56 -0500, Marco Antoniotti <·······@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
>
>> If you want the whole shebang, it still looks like you have to go
>> CL-XML (now in common-lisp.net)
>
> As far as parsing is concerned, what does CL-XML have that CXML
> doesn't have?

The one feature i really miss in the DOM-builder is namespace
awareness. From dom-builder.lisp:

 (defmethod sax:start-element
     ((handler dom-builder) namespace-uri local-name qname attributes)
   (declare (ignore namespace-uri local-name))
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cheers, Ralf Mattes

From: R. Mattes
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:35:56 -0500, Marco Antoniotti wrote:

> If you want the whole shebang, it still looks like you have to go CL-XML
> (now in common-lisp.net)

???
Could you provide an URL? I couldn't find it on the projects page.

 Thanks

 Ralf Mattes

From: Marco Antoniotti
http://pws.prserv.net/James.Anderson/XML/

The cl-xml.org name was stolen from James.  Looks like the cl-xml
project in common-lis.net is set up, but that the inside is totally empty.

Cheers
--
Marco

From: Sam Steingold
> * vishnuvyas <··········@tznvy.pbz> [2005-11-22 00:13:37 -0800]:
>
> Are there any lightweight XML parsers in LISP with CDATA support?

CLOCC/CLLIB/xml.lisp

http://www.dhimmi.com/ http://pmw.org.il/ http://truepeace.org
http://www.palestinefacts.org/ http://www.savegushkatif.org
The software said it requires Windows 3.1 or better, so I installed Linux.
From: Edi Weitz
On 22 Nov 2005 00:13:37 -0800, "vishnuvyas" <··········@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are there any lightweight XML parsers in LISP with CDATA support?
>
> I've tried XMLS and S-XML, and it turns out that XMLS sometimes
> breaks on certain XML documents , while S-XML doesn't have any CDATA
> support.

Have you tried CXML?  It seems to handle CDATA fine.  I don't know
what "lightweight" means for you but it offers XMLS compatibility.

  <http://common-lisp.net/project/cxml/>

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: vishnuvyas
Edi Weitz wrote:
> Have you tried CXML?  It seems to handle CDATA fine.  I don't know
yes, I did try CXML, but it sometimes breaks into the debugger with an
error complaining about a #\Esc character in the stream . The occurance
of the error is very erratic and I am currently unable to reproduce it
exactly.
> what "lightweight" means for you but it offers XMLS compatibility.
Lightweight = Easy to understand and learn from.

Anyway, I am currently oscillating between trying to include CDATA
support into S-XML, or find some other XML pacakage which does that for
lisp.

Cheers
Vishnu Vyas.
From: Peter Van Eynde
Il 2005-11-22, vishnuvyas <··········@gmail.com> ha scritto:
> Are there any lightweight XML parsers in LISP with CDATA support?
>
> I've tried XMLS and S-XML, and it turns out that XMLS sometimes breaks
> on certain XML documents , while S-XML doesn't have any CDATA support.

The newest s-xml (from xml.lisp CVS version 1.13 onwards) should support cdata.

Groetjes, Peter

--
signature -at- pvaneynd.mailworks.org
http://www.livejournal.com/users/pvaneynd/
From: vishnuvyas
Peter Van Eynde wrote:

> The newest s-xml (from xml.lisp CVS version 1.13 onwards) should support cdata.
Interestingly enough, I rolled my own version of CDATA support into
s-xml!
Anyway will check out the actual version.

Cheers
Vishnu Vyas