From: Eliot Coweye
Subject: Can I program myself a girlfriend in LISP ???
Real women don't want me, so I have to program myself a girlfriend.

Can I use LISP to write myself a girlfriend or can LISP only be used
for writing boyfriends? A shemale would be ok, too, as long as she has
big tits...

From: Thomas F. Burdick
Subject: Re: Can I program myself a girlfriend in LISP ???
"Eliot Coweye" <············@lycos.com> writes:

> Real women don't want me, so I have to program myself a girlfriend.
>
> Can I use LISP to write myself a girlfriend or can LISP only be used
> for writing boyfriends? A shemale would be ok, too, as long as she has
> big tits...

There has been some work done in this direction before:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090305/

It made for a mind-bogglingly bad movie, but if you're desperate
enough, I'm sure you can write yourself a mind-bogglingly bad program.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | Free Mumia Abu-Jamal! |
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
> "Eliot Coweye" <············@lycos.com> writes:
>
>> Real women don't want me, so I have to program myself a girlfriend.
>>
>> Can I use LISP to write myself a girlfriend or can LISP only be used
>> for writing boyfriends? A shemale would be ok, too, as long as she has
>> big tits...
>
> There has been some work done in this direction before:
>
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090305/
>
> It made for a mind-bogglingly bad movie, but if you're desperate
> enough, I'm sure you can write yourself a mind-bogglingly bad program.

There's also "The Stepford Wives" which probably has the women
programmed in some kind of Lisp.  Not sure.

--
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
From: David Steuber
Ulrich Hobelmann <···········@web.de> writes:

> There's also "The Stepford Wives" which probably has the women
> programmed in some kind of Lisp.  Not sure.

No.  They used some sort of scripting language.

--
http://www.david-steuber.com/
The UnBlog: An island of conformity in a sea of quirks.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
···@conquest.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick) writes:

> "Eliot Coweye" <············@lycos.com> writes:
>
>> Real women don't want me, so I have to program myself a girlfriend.
>>
>> Can I use LISP to write myself a girlfriend or can LISP only be used
>> for writing boyfriends? A shemale would be ok, too, as long as she has
>> big tits...
>
> There has been some work done in this direction before:
>
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090305/
>
> It made for a mind-bogglingly bad movie, but if you're desperate
> enough, I'm sure you can write yourself a mind-bogglingly bad program.

And don't forget the body for your robotgirl: http://www.realdoll.com/

But if you're busy, having your girlfriend on the phone can be enough:
    http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/August2004/8226.htm

In a World without Walls and Fences,
who needs Windows and Gates?
From: Kenny Tilton
Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
> "Eliot Coweye" <············@lycos.com> writes:
>

>>Real women don't want me, so I have to program myself a girlfriend.
>>
>>Can I use LISP to write myself a girlfriend or can LISP only be used
>>for writing boyfriends? A shemale would be ok, too, as long as she has
>>big tits...
>

> There has been some work done in this direction before:
>
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090305/
>
> It made for a mind-bogglingly bad movie,..

Come on, Kelly LeBrock was brilliant.

--
Kenny

Why Lisp? http://wiki.alu.org/RtL_Highlight_Film

"I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state
I finally won out over it."
     Elwood P. Dowd, "Harvey", 1950
From: Jack
I'd recommend a positronic brain, but the solution to your problem is
quite simple in Lisp:

(progn
  (if (right-handed)
    (use right-hand)
   (use left-hand)))
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
+ "Jack" <············@msn.com>:

| I'd recommend a positronic brain, but the solution to your problem is
| quite simple in Lisp:
|
| (progn
|   (if (right-handed)
|     (use right-hand)
|    (use left-hand)))

What a useless use of PROGN.  And you don't want these conditionals
scattered all over your code.  With CLOS, you just write different
methods for right-handed and left-handed people where appropriate.
Note that there are situations where external factors take presedence
over your own handedness:  If you want to keep a hand on your
non-existent girlfriend's knee while driving, which hand to use
depends on whether your car has the steering wheel on the left or on
the right.  All these complexities of life call for a CLOS solution.
Girlfriends need CLOSeness.  'nuff said.

- Debating gives most of us much more psychological satisfaction
  than thinking does: but it deprives us of whatever chance there is
  of getting closer to the truth.  -- C.P. Snow
From: Jack
> What a useless use of PROGN.  And you don't want these conditionals
> scattered all over your code.  With CLOS, you just write different
> methods for right-handed and left-handed people where appropriate.
> Note that there are situations where external factors take presedence
> over your own handedness:  If you want to keep a hand on your
> non-existent girlfriend's knee while driving, which hand to use
> depends on whether your car has the steering wheel on the left or on
> the right.  All these complexities of life call for a CLOS solution.
> Girlfriends need CLOSeness.  'nuff said.

A sufficiently intelligent compiler would optimize away the PROGN. I
decided to use it just in case tomorrow I decide to add to the program
and perhaps even change it to a LET--I wouldn't need to bother worrying
about matching parens, indentation, etc., in the event that I wasn't in
the mood to fire up Emacs for help with the editing.

As for the conditional, the problem wasn't even big enough to worry
about it. Whereas I suppose I could have offered (play-with-yourself
(choose-hand)), which is much shorter and Lispier, the IF form was the
first thing to come to mind--I guess I'm still thinking in C.

Sure, if he's serious about the project and wants to model different
scenarios in the program, CLOS would probably be the way to go... I
wasn't going to make a career out of feeding the troll.
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
[cut brasil.unix]

Eliot Coweye wrote:
> Real women don't want me, so I have to program myself a girlfriend.

Instead of going after the problem, you go for the surrogate?

You should program women into liking you, but I'm not too sure where
Lisp fits in that equation.

Maybe something like:
1. write really cool program in Lisp
5. Profit!
6. Women!

--
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
From: justinhj
From: Alan Crowe
"Eliot Coweye" <············@lycos.com> writes:

> Real women don't want me, so I have to program myself a girlfriend.
>
> Can I use LISP to write myself a girlfriend or can LISP only be used
> for writing boyfriends? A shemale would be ok, too, as long as she has
> big tits...

(defun make-girlfriend ()
  "Not work safe."
  (let* ((x (cons #\. nil))
        (y (list (make-string 0)))
        (magic (format nil "~~3%~~A~~A~~4%  ~A~~3%" y))
        (chromosome (list x x)))
    (apply #'format nil magic chromosome)))