From: jbar
Subject: user group in washington dc
Hello all,

I was wondering if there is some sort of Lisp users group in the
Washington DC Metro area.
I googled for it some time but couldn't find anything current

Jaime

From: Greg Menke
Subject: Re: user group in washington dc
"jbar" <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I was wondering if there is some sort of Lisp users group in the
> Washington DC Metro area.
> I googled for it some time but couldn't find anything current
>
> Jaime

There are a number in the DC/VA area, up to into Baltimore as well.  The
Space Science Telescope people up at Johns Hopkins have a neato-torpedo
planning & scheduling system in Lisp.  There have been a few
get-togethers here and there.  The most successful have been dinners
vaguely centered amongst interested people.  I wouldn't mind doing
something like that again...

Regards,

Greg
From: Blaino
I too would be interested, and I know of at least one other.  I live in
Baltimore and work at Goddard and in Silver Spring.

If you search comp.lang.lisp something seemed to have happened back in
March...

Blaine
From: jbar
Thanks Greg,

Do you know how to contact any of those groups?

I started learning Lisp very recently and my goal is to know people
that I can learn from. I think a programming language is more culture
than syntax, so I won't get too far with books alone.

I don't mind the eating and the drinking either.

Jaime

From: Greg Menke
"jbar" <·········@gmail.com> writes:
> Thanks Greg,
>
> Do you know how to contact any of those groups?
>
> I started learning Lisp very recently and my goal is to know people
> that I can learn from. I think a programming language is more culture
> than syntax, so I won't get too far with books alone.
>
> I don't mind the eating and the drinking either.
>
> Jaime

I think most of them observe this group, so you're already talking to
them.  We did DC Lispnik stuff a few times, trying a different venue
each time.  The conversation was quite geeky at times as might be
expected.  The difficulty of going to a restaurant is its often noisy,
OTOH its awfully nice to discuss Lisp esoterica over a beer.

Do keep the session vaguely on topic, one useful approach might be to
bring some part of what you're working on big or small and chat about
it.  I know I have a couple reasonably sized programs with real,
imagined or undiscovered issues that could use basically a code review.
Kind of clumsy to do it in a restaurant, but a cafe sort of place where
laptops can be brought out might work.

Greg
From: Deep
I would be interested in a meetup as well :)