From: zion_zii
Subject: slime and clisp problems
Im trying to install slime at work and have already changed the .emacs
file to what is required.  When I  M-x slime from emacs, it compiles
some and then stops with the following error message.
*** - READ: input stream
       #<INPUT BUFFERED FILE-STREAM CHARACTER

#P"/cygdrive/u/.slime/fasl/clisp-2.35-unix-pc386/swank-clisp.fas"
         @402>
      ends within a token after multiple escape character
The following restarts are available:
SKIP           :R1      skip (COMPILE-FILES-IF-NEEDED-SERIALLY #)
STOP           :R2      stop loading file
/cygdrive/u/slime-1.2.1/swank-loader.lisp
ABORT          :R3      ABORT

*** - UNIX error 13 (EACCES): Permission denied
The following restarts are available:
SKIP           :R1      skip (COMPILE-FILES-IF-NEEDED-SERIALLY #)
STOP           :R2      stop loading file
/cygdrive/u/slime-1.2.1/swank-loader.lisp
ABORT          :R3      ABORT
Break 1 SWANK-BACKEND[2]>
Is there something Im doing wrong? Im a newbie at Lisp so I dont have a
clue as to whats going on. Any help will be greatly appreciated. This
is on cygwin (I should mention that at home, with the same cygwin
versions, I had no problems). I am using CLISP for my lisp env.
Thanks.

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: slime and clisp problems
> * zion_zii <·········@tznvy.pbz> [2005-11-16 11:24:18 -0800]:
>
> Im trying to install slime at work and have already changed the .emacs
> file to what is required.  When I  M-x slime from emacs, it compiles
> some and then stops with the following error message.
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> *** - READ: input stream
>        #<INPUT BUFFERED FILE-STREAM CHARACTER
>
> #P"/cygdrive/u/.slime/fasl/clisp-2.35-unix-pc386/swank-clisp.fas"
>          @402>
>       ends within a token after multiple escape character
> The following restarts are available:
> SKIP           :R1      skip (COMPILE-FILES-IF-NEEDED-SERIALLY #)
> STOP           :R2      stop loading file
> /cygdrive/u/slime-1.2.1/swank-loader.lisp
> ABORT          :R3      ABORT
>
> *** - UNIX error 13 (EACCES): Permission denied
> The following restarts are available:
> SKIP           :R1      skip (COMPILE-FILES-IF-NEEDED-SERIALLY #)
> STOP           :R2      stop loading file
> /cygdrive/u/slime-1.2.1/swank-loader.lisp
> ABORT          :R3      ABORT
> Break 1 SWANK-BACKEND[2]>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Is there something Im doing wrong? Im a newbie at Lisp so I dont have a
> clue as to whats going on. Any help will be greatly appreciated. This
> is on cygwin (I should mention that at home, with the same cygwin
> versions, I had no problems). I am using CLISP for my lisp env.

please look at the end of swank-clisp.fas file.
you probably need to recompile swank-clisp.lisp - I think there were errors

http://www.mideasttruth.com/ http://www.camera.org
http://www.jihadwatch.org/ http://truepeace.org http://www.iris.org.il
Those who value Life above Freedom are destined to lose both.
From: zion_zii
I do not see the swank-clisp.fas file in the directory that slime is
installed in. I tried the following

(load (compile-file "~/slime-1.2.1/swank-clisp.lisp"))

and it gave me the following error message

;; Compiling file /cygdrive/u/slime-1.2.1/swank-clisp.lisp ...
*** - SYSTEM::%FIND-PACKAGE: There is no package with name
"SWANK-BACKEND"
The following restarts are available:
USE-VALUE      :R1      You may input a value to be used instead.
ABORT          :R2      ABORT

even though there is a swank-backend.lisp file in the same directory.
Is this what I need to change?
Thanks.